Best team of English players who have played in the NRL since its inception in 1998 (last 25 years)

Sam Tomkins (NZ Warriors)

Dominic Young (Newcastle Knights), Herbie Farnworth (Brisbane Broncos), Zak Hardaker (Penrith Panthers)  Ryan Hall (Sydney Roosters)

Gareth Widdop (Melbourne Storm), George Williams (Canberra Raiders)

Sam Burgess (South Sydney)

Elliot Whitehead (Canberra Raiders), Gareth Ellis (Wests Tigers)

Adrian Morley (Sydney Roosters) Josh Hodgson (Canberra Raiders) James Graham (Canterbury Bulldogs/St. George-Illawarra Dragons)

Interchange : George Burgess (South Sydney Rabbitohs)), Tom Burgess (South Sydney Rabbitohs), John Bateman (Canberra Raiders/Wests Tigers), Scott Moore (North Queensland Cowboys)

Edited by Bradman Better
  • Like 2

Good team.

Not too much to disagree with.

But I think Jack Reed was a better centre than Zak Hardaker (but if we are only including players who have played in England then we exclude Reed... although that excludes Farnworth as well at first team level).

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Good team.

But I think Jack Reed was a better centre than Zak Hardaker (but if we are only including players who have played in England then we exclude Reed... although that excludes Farnworth as well at first team level).

Actually, come to think of it, I would have Kallum Watkins in the centre.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Would Lee Jackson miss out time wise? I thought he was a terrific 9 back in the day and most of his career in Australia would predate the ‘NRL’ but would he just scrape in with his last season down under? 

Yeah, I think his last year at Newcastle was the first year of the NRL (98)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Good team.

It would also exclude George Burgess who I am fairly sure moved to Souths as an academy player prior to playing 1st team for Bradford.

Fully agree with Jack Reed over Hardaker who struggled in his short spell at Penrith.

Forgettable NRL stints?

1. Richard Mathers

2. Jordan Tansey

3. Oliver Gildart

4. Dan Sarginson

5. Greg Eden

6. Chris Thorman

8. Lee Mossop

9. Scott Moore 

10. Mark Edmondson

11. Ian Sibbit

12. Michael Worrincy (FFS!)

Edited by hindle xiii
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

Forgettable NRL stints?

2. Jordan Tansey

4. Dan Sarginson

6. Chris Thorman

11. Ian Sibbit

It was a hard spell for Sarginson, he was often injured which definitely hindered his performances. It's often a shame RL is such a tough sport on the body, as a good injury free spell for him to actually settle into the NRL would have been good to see.

Still think his performance against Australia in Aus for England is the best I've seen (for an English player V Australia/NZ)

I hope he is doing well in his life after retiring from RL at a young age, gave lots of good memories for the clubs he played for.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

Forgettable NRL stints?

2. Jordan Tansey

4. Dan Sarginson

6. Chris Thorman

11. Ian Sibbit

To be fair, it's quite hard to compile a forgettable list.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Click said:

It was a hard spell for Sarginson, he was often injured which definitely hindered his performances. It's often a shame RL is such a tough sport on the body, as a good injury free spell for him to actually settle into the NRL would have been good to see.

Still think his performance against Australia in Aus for England is the best I've seen (for an English player V Australia/NZ)

I hope he is doing well in his life after retiring from RL at a young age, gave lots of good memories for the clubs he played for.

Yeah, Sarginson’s England career around that time was very inspiring. I had high hopes for him in the NRL and was disappointed to see his career go down from there due to injuries. He more than earned his place in the England centres at that time.

• Like 2

I know the topic says English players, but it's a shame to omit Brian Carney's quality season with Newcastle from consideration. He certainly had a greater impact in the NRL than Ryan Hall (who was sadly past his best and struggling with injury at the time, playing in a team with such strong depth that they can never shake rumours about their 'creative accountancy'). 

• Like 3

All depends on how you read the initial question. 

If it is the best English players to have played in the NRL then Watkins and Hall are in the 17.

If it is the best 17 based on their performances in the NRL then no.  Not sure who the other winger would be with Young in that case.  Obviously Carney would be but it did say English. 

OK, here is a question.

Who would win between the team in the first post of Brits (English) in the NRL and the English team below who didn't play in the NRL.  Would be a very good game for me.  And very close.

1. Wellens/Radlinski

2. Tommy Makinson

3. Keith Senior

4. Paul Newlove

5. Jermaine McGillvary

6. Danny Mcguire

7. Sean Long

8. Alex Walmsley 

9. Keiron Cunningham 

10. Jamie Peacock 

11. Andy Farrell

12. Paul Sculthorpe 

13. Sean O'Loughlin 

14. James Roby

15. Stuart Fielden

16. Chris Joynt

17. Kevin Sinfield

I think on balance I am giving it to the Super League side.

(Forgive me if I have missed anyone out or if any of the above played in the NRL, I am doing this from memory on the phone)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Would Lee Jackson miss out time wise? I thought he was a terrific 9 back in the day and most of his career in Australia would predate the ‘NRL’ but would he just scrape in with his last season down under? 

Probably.

Strangely, Lee doesn’t want anything to do with the game these days.  Fantastic hooker imo.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

All depends on how you read the initial question. 

If it is the best English players to have played in the NRL then Watkins and Hall are in the 17.

If it is the best 17 based on their performances in the NRL then no.  Not sure who the other winger would be with Young in that case.  Obviously Carney would be but it did say English. 

Joe Burgess will probably have to go on the other wing.

To be fair to him, he greatly improved his performances when he went to the Rabbitohs before returning to SL.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Click said:

Joe Burgess will probably have to go on the other wing.

To be fair to him, he greatly improved his performances when he went to the Rabbitohs before returning to SL.

Good shout.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

OK, here is a question.

Who would win between the team in the first post of Brits (English) in the NRL and the English team below who didn't play in the NRL.  Would be a very good game for me.  And very close.

1. Wellens/Radlinski

2. Tommy Makinson

3. Keith Senior

4. Paul Newlove

5. Jermaine McGillvary

6. Danny Mcguire

7. Sean Long

8. Alex Walmsley 

9. Keiron Cunningham 

10. Jamie Peacock 

11. Andy Farrell

12. Paul Sculthorpe 

13. Sean O'Loughlin 

14. James Roby

15. Stuart Fielden

16. Chris Joynt

17. Kevin Sinfield

I think on balance I am giving it to the Super League side.

(Forgive me if I have missed anyone out or if any of the above played in the NRL, I am doing this from memory on the phone)

Crikey we've had some rate forrards 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

On 05/12/2023 at 21:08, hindle xiii said:

Forgettable NRL stints?

1. Richard Mathers

2. Jordan Tansey

3. Oliver Gildart

4. Dan Sarginson

5. Greg Eden

6. Chris Thorman

8. Lee Mossop

11. Ian Sibbit

12. Michael Worrincy (FFS!)

Updated. Michael Worrincy FFS.

Edited by hindle xiii

2 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

Denis Betts was at Auckland Warriors when I started watching rugby league. Does he go on the Best of British or the forgettable NRL team?

To be pedantic, Betts didn't play in the NRL. He played for Auckland in 1995-1997 when they were in the ARL and Super League. I assume the OP was restricting the list to the NRL period otherwise someone would have mentioned Mal Reilly and Kevin Ward.