Championship Final League Position Predictions

12 hours ago, Griff said:

Well, I thought so. But it seems no-one can be bothered to read the competition rules.

21 hours ago, Griff said:

The league table isn't the end of the story.   I know most folk on here find it hard to get their heads around that but funding and IMG points both come from play-off positions.

Bloody hell you must be fun at parties 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1-Wakefield-Moneybags 

2-Toulouse-Home form 

3-York-Very big squad this year compared to others think hendo can carry end of season form into this one.Need another Forward though.

4-featherstone-good side just not enough depth in the squad can’t see them dropping out of playoffs.

5-Sheffield-Pretty much same side as last year think they’ll go well again.

6-Whitehaven Impressive signings imo However down to how well overseas imports perform.

7-Bradford Good squad just personally don’t think Carroll is any good.

8-halifax lost a lot of tries in walsmley dependent on how well Finn goes this season could see them finishing anywhere from 4-8th.

9-Doncaster-Good signings but only just scraped up last year can’t really see much higher or lower for them.

10-batley No more Lingard and have lost most of main points scorers (hodson meadows).

11-Swinton-Just signed better than the teams below could finish anywhere from 10-14th.

12-widnes-Very underwhelming squad and signings however better than the teams below.

13-dewsbury- lost Finn.championship will just be too tough for them 

14-barrow-Poor squad and poor depth 

7 hours ago, Griff said:

I'll leave you to your strawman argument.

Sure, people were posting their final league tables and you decided to call people lazy for not reading the competition rules. Unless something is in the rules that will affect the league table, I'm not sure it's all that relevant.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

I'm told we have up to four major signings to come, so that will change. FWIW I think we are stronger than Fev were last year, a lot more players with recent and sustained SL experience. What we are not, is where Leigh were two years ago. Hopefully those players to come will get us far closer to that. We also have, if Ellis stands by his word, is the ability to freshen up the team as and when, something Fev couldn't do.

Its hard to compare much with leigh as they were a total anomaly and the stars aligned for them to basically put together a top 6 SL team in the Championship and you can't see that happening again for a very long time. I agree Wakey look better than Fev though and Im really not sure the thinking of those that think it might be tight at the top, just one look at the quality through the Wakey squad and you have to think something has gone majorly wrong if they don't top the league. I'd also argue that Fev could have made changes last season and did bring a player or two in but I am not sure there were the players available and to be truthful when you dominate the league in the fashion they did you can't really blame them for not wanting to spend any more money.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cam varley said:

1-Wakefield-Moneybags 

2-Toulouse-Home form 

3-York-Very big squad this year compared to others think hendo can carry end of season form into this one.Need another Forward though.

4-featherstone-good side just not enough depth in the squad can’t see them dropping out of playoffs.

5-Sheffield-Pretty much same side as last year think they’ll go well again.

6-Whitehaven Impressive signings imo However down to how well overseas imports perform.

7-Bradford Good squad just personally don’t think Carroll is any good.

8-halifax lost a lot of tries in walsmley dependent on how well Finn goes this season could see them finishing anywhere from 4-8th.

9-Doncaster-Good signings but only just scraped up last year can’t really see much higher or lower for them.

10-batley No more Lingard and have lost most of main points scorers (hodson meadows).

11-Swinton-Just signed better than the teams below could finish anywhere from 10-14th.

12-widnes-Very underwhelming squad and signings however better than the teams below.

13-dewsbury- lost Finn.championship will just be too tough for them 

14-barrow-Poor squad and poor depth 

Hope you're right! Would take 6th!!

• Like 2

On 06/12/2023 at 14:46, Eddie said:

Not sure it will be as easy for Wakey to get into a winning mindset as some people think, after last season. I’d have Toulouse to finish top. 

Wishful thinking I'd suggest, but it took Leigh all the way, so who knows.

Edited by Kirmonds pouch

Can’t see Wakey losing many league matches, but Powell has got an habit of failing to win finals. As for Fev, the squad is small, but I’m happy with the quality, and would expect a top 6 finish, with a deep run in the playoffs, so long as we have a relatively injury free season. Many Fev fans aren’t as optimistic and I’ve even seen some predict a relegation fight. Anyway, it should be a cracking season, far better than being battered each week in SL.

4 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Can’t see Wakey losing many league matches, but Powell has got an habit of failing to win finals. As for Fev, the squad is small, but I’m happy with the quality, and would expect a top 6 finish, with a deep run in the playoffs, so long as we have a relatively injury free season. Many Fev fans aren’t as optimistic and I’ve even seen some predict a relegation fight. Anyway, it should be a cracking season, far better than being battered each week in SL.

Powell may have, but Trinity don't - I reckon if we'd gone to a Million Pound game at the end of last season we'd have won it again, ###### though we were. Winning for glory is a long forgotten art at Trinity, but do or die games, we are the masters.

• Haha 1

Consensus seems to be a Donny finish of around 9th. Most Dons fans would snap your hand off at that offer. I do think though that the lack of strength in our halves alluded to is questionable. We've got Ben and Connor capable at this level plus some versatile support (Boas, Lovadua, Hall) if needed. I'm pretty happy just to be at this level again and taking it seriously 

2 hours ago, Rene_Artois said:

Consensus seems to be a Donny finish of around 9th. Most Dons fans would snap your hand off at that offer. I do think though that the lack of strength in our halves alluded to is questionable. We've got Ben and Connor capable at this level plus some versatile support (Boas, Lovadua, Hall) if needed. I'm pretty happy just to be at this level again and taking it seriously 

Do you think there’s been any more interest around Doncaster (the town) following promotion? 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Do you think there’s been any more interest around Doncaster (the town) following promotion? 

I think so. I know folk who started attending towards the end of last season who are looking forward to coming back. My experience comes from 1 village though (Woodlands) which has long produced both spectators and players for the club. If the same is true of Bentley, Askern, Rossington, Toll Bar, Moorends etc then who knows? The link with local clubs seems to be paying dividends and season ticket sales are historically high so I'm hopeful.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rene_Artois said:

Ive watched both Ben and Connor for a number of years at Fax and I would say both would hold their own at the lower end of the Championship but both are out of their depth anywhere near a play off team and there is good reason why both found themselves playing in league 1. Get a good supporting cast around them and you never know but it never really happpened for them at Fax and both were made to look decent playing alongside the quality of Murrell.

• Like 1

Point well made. I think though that this emphasises how important Lovadua could be for us. We've made the best of our resources. If Boas could find his PNG form from a couple of years back then who knows? As I've said I'm looking forward to it. We'd struggle, as a promoted side, to be better prepared. Finish 9th and I'll be over the moon 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Ive watched both Ben and Connor for a number of years at Fax and I would say both would hold their own at the lower end of the Championship but both are out of their depth anywhere near a play off team

Lower end of championship is fine. For now.

Play offs aren't on our radar.

Edited by Rene_Artois

33 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I agree, I think you have signed well but some fans of other teams are getting a little bit carried away.

Fully agree. We've signed with a clear intention to be competitive. A versatile, experienced and talented squad. All about perspective. Dons fans that post on here know what our priority is. Nice other fans are acknowledging us but their opinion means little. We'll go about our business and not worry too much what others think 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Eddie said:

Hoping so, we had over 2500 for the last game of last season which is a big rise on the average. Crowds have been creeping up slowly since the world cup (the club really grabbed the legacy well), the club have been doing great work since then with schools and local clubs, there is definitely a wave of younger supporters coming through

• Like 4

On 06/12/2023 at 15:09, Griff said:

The league table isn't the end of the story.   I know most folk on here find it hard to get their heads around that but funding and IMG points both come from play-off positions.

The purpose of the thread and the nature of the predictions is clear.

Stupid contrarianism wrapped up in a lovely package of condescension. Great posting, keep it up.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I think  Widnes might suprise a few people.

I rate Alan Coleman. Did a great job with Swinton with a very poor squad. He was a massive improvement on the woeful Stuart Littler. He's took his generals with him to Widnes too. He's under a lot more pressure to deliver at Widnes though.

1. Wakey

2. Tolouse

3. York

4. Bradford.

5 Fev.

6. Sheffield.

7. Widnes

8. Halifax

9. Batley

10. Doncaster

11. Swinton

12. Barrow

13. Dewsbury

14. Whitehaven

I think Wakey and Toulouse are the clear standouts to finish in the top 2, probably in that order.

After them though its pretty open for a lot of the comp. The likes of Sheffield, York, Bradford, Fev, would like to think they are playoff contenders. However even Batley, Fax and Widnes etc could find themselves in with a run at the playoffs following a decent run of form.

8 hours ago, Daft old hooker said:

Does anyone care? As most clubs can’t be promoted under IMG what does it matter?

Yes.

For the majority of clubs there will be no difference from the last 5 + years where they couldn't get promoted because they had a Toronto, Leigh, etc in front of them buying the league. 

• Like 2