WIDNES FRIENDLY

As with all pre season games other than the Ike Southward there is to be no radio coverage of the Widnes game. 

With that being said join Callum Linford live on Town Fans Home and Away Facebook page from Widnes around 2:50-2:55 for all the action in Anthony Murray and Towns first game of the 2024 season. 

UTT ⚪🔵

• Like 4

On 04/01/2024 at 11:16, Peter Winthorpe said:

Are they fielding a strong team or just a run out for their reserves?

Looks like a strong team they are putting out , some missing due to injury they say. Going down and looking forward to seeing how our new lads perform.UTT 🔵⚪

• Like 2

Hope you have a good day down their.

Never made it down to Their old ground in our golden days in the 70s. Naughton park if I am right.

We played them many times in the late 70s and they were our bogy team and it was never a friendly.

We put them out of the lancs cup at home when corquey kicked an amazing kick to beat them 8 to 6. They beat us in the other 3 finals  but those were the days. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, town blue said:

Remember beating them at home when they had a star studded team, if my memory is correct from that team we signed Phil Mckenzie and Kurt Sorenson coached town after playing for Haven.

It was a Lancs Cup game in the early 90s with the likes of Richie Eyres, John Devereux, Joe Grima playing. 

3 hours ago, Peter Winthorpe said:

Never made it down to Their old ground in our golden days in the 70s. Naughton park if I am right.

We played them many times in the late 70s and they were our bogy team and it was never a friendly.

We put them out of the lancs cup at home when corquey kicked an amazing kick to beat them 8 to 6. They beat us in the other 3 finals  but those were the days. 

I was lucky because I started going away in 89/90 so went to loads of old grounds before they became housing estates. Crown Flatt, Station Road, Athletic Ground Rochdale,  Tattersfield, Fartown, Thrum Hall, Central Park, Wilderspool, The Willows, Naughton Park, Watersheddings,McLaren Field plus a few football , union and athletics grounds.

There’s 21 named on rfl site but it’s alphabetical and doesn’t go as far as W so doesn’t include Walker and Walton. Bradley, Archer and McPherson aren’t named but Billy Southward and a Brad Taylor are. So I reckon it’s a 23 man squad. 

13 hours ago, homeandawayer said:

It was a Lancs Cup game in the early 90s with the likes of Richie Eyres, John Devereux, Joe Grima playing. 

FullSizeRender-compressed.jpeg

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

14 hours ago, homeandawayer said:

Damage would not leave paul moriarty alone that day, class

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

18 hours ago, Peter Winthorpe said:

Went to the old ground a few times in the 70s with my dad, great old place as where a lot of grounds in the 70s , Oldham, Rochdale, Huyton, Wigan , Huddersfield to name a few , great days, great memories and a great team , UTT 🔵⚪

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

What a great day that was

Did Grima not get sent off for a bad high tackle on Penrice - I'm sure its the same referee [blond hair]  - Ref sent Grima off before Ben landed.

Ben caught ball near own line from a restart and Grima clothes lined him about 30 yards out at speed

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

Did Grima not get sent off for a bad high tackle on Penrice - I'm sure its the same referee [blond hair]  - Ref sent Grima off before Ben landed.

Ben caught ball near own line from a restart and Grima clothes lined him about 30 yards out at speed

Wasn't a high tackle, was an actual clothes line 😄

Brilliant day that.

• Like 2

Hutton looks a good'n. We're pretty good at snuffing out the first attack but under pressure we can't defend the follow up, there's a gulf in class but still a good workout and should be OK when we finally play league one.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, The Vet said:

How did Jonny Hutton & Connor Saunders go today? Was Jonny at fullback?

I didn't notice Saunders much but Hutton was on the wing and looked quick and dangerous , a bit like when Teare first arrived. 

Bickerdike looked more at home at fullback when Burns went off .

• Like 2

Burns injury is a worry big loss,hopefully he's not to bad best player before he was injured. defence was good at times,but widnes were to good for town.henson looked good at loose forward had a few good runs and offloads when marwood came on.that looked the best combo of the game,but plenty of effort by all the squad. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Derwent Parker said:

Image1.jpg.17602c0f4dc7873dd7e4e2df749fad8d.jpgImage2(2).jpg.ca9c2d2aecaf5c100b09aea71c0457f7.jpg

Remember that day well first game of season after the heartbreak of losing to Salford in play off the season before. Just looked back at the results etc from that season and we ended up losing at home to Carlisle in the qfinal in front of 4000+,  i thought it was a terrible year back then finishing bottom of the 8 team league but most of the results were very close. The gap between the divisions was so much closer as well back then, cant take too much from yesterday's defeat ,priority is to be ready for first competitive game 

• Thanks 1