Another downside is that the highlights aren't viewable outside the UK. I liked seeing the little packages that C4 put together for the games they covered.

It is a benefit to the sport within the UK in terms of visibility to have the Beeb, but there are certainly down-sides in terms of visibility as well outside the UK.

5 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Another downside is that the highlights aren't viewable outside the UK. I liked seeing the little packages that C4 put together for the games they covered.

It is a benefit to the sport within the UK in terms of visibility to have the Beeb, but there are certainly down-sides in terms of visibility as well outside the UK.

Why aren't the SL highlights viewable outside the UK? 

49 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

SKY is No 1 coverage is many great global markets BBC is tosh dead as the dodo get over it 

Can you explain this more? Why is UK Sky Sports big globally? 

23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Why aren't the SL highlights viewable outside the UK? 

I fear ATLANTISMAN might have some weird ideological views which are clouding his understanding of the BBC's reach and importance.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

A premium subscription channel is "council estate TV"??

ITV daytime maybe, Channel 5 perhaps. Not Sky Sports with Golf, Cricket, F1 etc.

I assume you're confirming that's the snobby view rather than your view clarified?

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

SKY is No 1 coverage is many great global markets BBC is tosh dead as the dodo get over it 

If the exact same sporting event is shown on BBC and Sky at the same time the BBC viewing figures are higher. Get over it.

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Apparently the WCC last year on C4 got 205k

The first 2 games were good, and if every game was on BBC2 (or better) I wouldn't have posted what I did. BBC3/iPlayer are a downgrade on Channel 4.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Hopie said:

The first 2 games were good, and if every game was on BBC2 (or better) I wouldn't have posted what I did. BBC3/iPlayer are a downgrade on Channel 4.

We'll see how the season goes. Some of the figures on C4 were pretty low. 

2 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

I mean the BBC highlights. They are geo-blocked.

But highlights are on YouTube, are they geoblocked? 

SL highlights are available all over the UK and the World as far as I'm aware. The BBC website is just one of those places to get them. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

This is just an incoherent rant. Time for the Naughty Step.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

55 minutes ago, Dave T said:

But highlights are on YouTube, are they geoblocked? 

SL highlights are available all over the UK and the World as far as I'm aware. The BBC website is just one of those places to get them. 

YT ones are available. Not somewhere I tend to go to for sport, so that's good to know.

4 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

What nonsense get real

Australia

New Zealand

USA

Canada

Middle East 

+ many other countries the BBC is for old farts 

You do need to actually write proper posts though to explain what you are on about. 

12 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

What nonsense get real

Australia

New Zealand

USA

Canada

Middle East 

The Sky that exists in the UK doesn’t exist in any of the countries or regions you just listed.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

What nonsense get real

Australia

New Zealand

USA

Canada

Middle East 

"the BBC is for old farts" 

You can only know  this if you watch it.

If you watch it, it means you are included.

Edited by JohnM

Just now, gingerjon said:

The Sky that exists in the UK doesn’t exist in any of the countries or regions you just listed.

The only thing I can work through is that he is saying that corporates in Singapore would rather have 200k Sky Sports viewers than 750k-1m BBC viewers because they are all old farts. 

There are so many holes in this it's hard to know where to start. 

But, we should start by pointing out that every SL game is live on Sky Sports. 

32 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

What nonsense get real

Australia

New Zealand

USA

Canada

Middle East 

I don't think anyone here is making the argument to drop Sky, and go all-in with the BBC?

On the basis that the sport's strategy is to get as many eyeballs as possible, being on Sky AND the BBC clearly makes strategic sense. We can address two - sometimes distinct - audiences for the benefit of our commercial partners, the players' profile, and to engage potential new customers for clubs. Not sure why that's a problem?

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The only thing I can work through is that he is saying that corporates in Singapore would rather have 200k Sky Sports viewers than 750k-1m BBC viewers because they are all old farts. 

There are so many holes in this it's hard to know where to start. 

But, we should start by pointing out that every SL game is live on Sky Sports. 

I mean, I know you can advertise during games on commercial TV so there is something there but the BBC reach for in game advertising is significantly greater.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I mean, I know you can advertise during games on commercial TV so there is something there but the BBC reach for in game advertising is significantly greater.

I assume what Paul's saying is the audience demographics mean that the in-game adverts don't hit the "right" type of people when seen through that channel.

My view though would be that it's incremental: We can sell energy drinks to the younger Sky demographic, and Ovaltine to the BBC viewers, if our sport is shown on both. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1