Super League plus - questions

1. If I have SKY do I need this? I

I.e can I see all 6 games a week on the SKY platform or just the broadcast ones

2. If I move abroad in February (or my laptop does) will Super League plus show all 6 fixtures? If not how can an abroad person watch the SKY ones?

3. From the UK will SL plus only show the non SKY games? 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

12 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

1. If I have SKY do I need this? I

I.e can I see all 6 games a week on the SKY platform or just the broadcast ones

2. If I move abroad in February (or my laptop does) will Super League plus show all 6 fixtures? If not how can an abroad person watch the SKY ones?

3. From the UK will SL plus only show the non SKY games? 

These have all been answered in the other thread numerous times but...

1. No. Sky will show every game up to R15 on their channels, and from R16 onwards on their new streaming platform.

2. Yes. SL+ will show every game abroad, depending on what country you're in.

3. SL+ will show every game. The two 'exclusive' Sky picks will be available on SL+ on demand in the UK 48 hours later.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

3. SL+ will show every game. The two 'exclusive' Sky picks will be available on SL+ on demand in the UK 48 hours later.

To give more detail on point 3, SL+ will not show these games live, as you highlight, they will be available 2 days later.

What this means in reality is that many of the biggest games will not be shown live on SL+:

In the games that have been announced so far, you won't be getting:

1. Hull derby opener & Leeds v Salford

2. Hull KR v Leeds & Wire v Hull

3. Saints v Leigh, Leeds v Catalans

4. Hull KR v Wire, Leigh v Leeds

5. Salford v Wigan, Saints v Leeds

6. Hull Derby, Saints v Wigan 

And so on.

In reality, you have a decision

a ) Sky Sports - every game, first choices as exclusives, NRL matches - but comes with a Premium price

b ) SL+ - 4 games per week, others on delay, will miss many first choice matches, no NRL - more reasonable £20 per month price tag.

18 minutes ago, Dave T said:

To give more detail on point 3, SL+ will not show these games live, as you highlight, they will be available 2 days later.

What this means in reality is that many of the biggest games will not be shown live on SL+:

And so on.

a ) Sky Sports - every game, first choices as exclusives, NRL matches - but comes with a Premium price

b ) SL+ - 4 games per week, others on delay, will miss many first choice matches, no NRL - more reasonable £20 per month price tag.

Just to add a bit to that sum up. SL+ will have the games on demand as well. I'm not sure what the situation is with Sky and presumably there is the ability to record something but for those on NowTV there isn't any SL games on demand if you miss it live. I've got to admit for me this is the thing I'm trying to balance. How much live stuff will I get to watch and how much will I need on demand. It will be interesting to see what happens regarding this when the Sky streaming service becomes available. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

Just to add a bit to that sum up. SL+ will have the games on demand as well. I'm not sure what the situation is with Sky and presumably there is the ability to record something but for those on NowTV there isn't any SL games on demand if you miss it live. I've got to admit for me this is the thing I'm trying to balance. How much live stuff will I get to watch and how much will I need on demand. It will be interesting to see what happens regarding this when the Sky streaming service becomes available. 

Yep, I think that's an important factor. I'll be recording the games and watching when appropriate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glossop saint said:

This is the critical USP for superleague+ over and above NowTV.
No way would I subscribe to NowTV if you cannot playback on demand when superleague+ you can do that, and for less money.

Sky you get the wider packaged sports content, with the ability to record, so makes sense why it is more expensive. Especially with exclusivity for 48hrs for the 2 biggest games a week.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out, and whether SL+ grows the audience,or just cannibalises it, especially when Sky have it all anyway.

I don't think you can underestimate how annoying the 48 hours blackout can become. I used to subscribe to NFL Gamepass for a few years, which allowed me to watch my own (rubbish) team that Sky rarely showed, plus use all the on-demand and catch up capability.

But as you got later in the season, it became increasingly annoying - I had to stay off the news sites for a couple of days, and I couldn't watch live the top teams matchups in the run-in, and of course the playoffs, which Sky had live exclusivity over. 

In the end, I dropped Gamepass, and went to NowTV all year round - less choice and flexibility, but ultimately the best games live.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

And so on.

Thanks Dave 

If I were to move to France I wouldn't have SKY sports 

If I then bought SL+ (from my French Chateux) would all games be live (I.e. will the SL+ package from France show the SKY game live?)

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yep, I think that's an important factor. I'll be recording the games and watching when appropriate. 

Yep....I'd say well over half the sport I watch I have taped first and then watched later 

Never been too bothered it's not live but critical I don't know the score....obvs

13 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yep....I'd say well over half the sport I watch I have taped first and then watched later 

Never been too bothered it's not live but critical I don't know the score....obvs

Reminds me of that Likely Lads episode where Bob and Terry were trying to avoid the result of England🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿's soccer game in Hungary 🇭🇺 before they saw the delayed broadcast.

They succeeded, despite everyone's apparent efforts to tell them, only to discover that it had been fogged off.🤣

• Haha 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

19 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Thanks Dave 

If I were to move to France I wouldn't have SKY sports 

If I then bought SL+ (from my French Chateux) would all games be live (I.e. will the SL+ package from France show the SKY game live?)

16 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I think this is still under discussion with the French.  Certainly there are restriction streaming in France, whether that’s Fire, NowTV, whatever.  You can jump round it with a vpn though.

The other option will be (if not agreed between UK and France) is that a deal is made through French tv company.  Then you will need to bite the bullet and get a French aerial/internet/satellite link.  Unfortunately, if you don’t speak the language it will be tough at first.  The Marie, wherever you are going will help.  Pm me if you need and I will help if I can.

1 minute ago, Griff said:

Was it?

I'm going to have to check that now.......

"England ... flooded out"

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I fear I am showing my age here, but my key question is whether I can watch games easily on TV or have to stream them (and I appreciate there may be ways I can mirror streaming onto my TV). I can already sign up to Wigan TV if I want to see every game in full - though that is a faff because it is streaming rather than on my TV, and my appetite for non Wigan games (and time available) is finite, so I would stick with Sky unless it is very easy to see SL+ on my TV. 

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

"England ... flooded out"

Yeah - it was Bulgaria as well, not Hungary.🤣

Still, the flag's similar.  Same colours, different order.🇧🇬

• Haha 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I fear I am showing my age here, but my key question is whether I can watch games easily on TV or have to stream them (and I appreciate there may be ways I can mirror streaming onto my TV). I can already sign up to Wigan TV if I want to see every game in full - though that is a faff because it is streaming rather than on my TV, and my appetite for non Wigan games (and time available) is finite, so I would stick with Sky unless it is very easy to see SL+ on my TV. 

If you are happy with Sky, I'd stick with them. 

Apple TV box plus Now TV, SuperLeague+ and WatchNRL seems to give me everything. Don’t think Sky shows the wider NRL magazine programmes, and there’s a high quality one of those pretty much every day. 

Minimises how much money I have to give to that Murdoch ####### 🤬

24 minutes ago, Worzel said:

Apple TV box plus Now TV, SuperLeague+ and WatchNRL seems to give me everything. Don’t think Sky shows the wider NRL magazine programmes, and there’s a high quality one of those pretty much every day. 

Minimises how much money I have to give to that Murdoch ####### 🤬

Now TV, SuperLeague+ and WatchNRL will all be funnelling a fair percentage of your money to that Murdoch series of octothorps.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

that is a faff because it is streaming rather than on my TV

Not much of a faff if you get one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chromecast-Google-Snow-Streaming-entertainment/dp/B0B92SFYVG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1Z2JZS3TM9X98&keywords=Google+Chromecast+with+Google+TV+HD&qid=1706740516&sprefix=google+chromecast+with+google+tv+hd%2Caps%2C380&sr=8-3

Download the superleague+ app from the play store and you're sorted.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Now TV, SuperLeague+ and WatchNRL will all be funnelling a fair percentage of your money to that Murdoch series of octothorps.

Yeah, but not as much as a Sky package. Every little helps! 🤣

I would say, that I do think where SL+ can do well is if they can start to offer something that these other channels can't. 2nd team games, Academy, women's, historic archives, documentaries etc. I expect many of these things can be done on the cheap, and they are the kind of things that may help Sky subscribers nudge towards taking out SL+.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops, and whilst I won't be subscribing initially, I hope it's a huge success.

• Like 1