Sat 17th Feb: SL: Catalans Dragons v Warrington Wolves KO 5.30pm (UK) (Sky/SL+)

Who will win?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/02/24 at 18:00

Tacklers have to learn not to swing an arm into an opponents face / and generally have to fall back in the tackle rather than hit the attacker backwards … once attackers can play without fear of having their head chopped off, they can play more adventurously

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Wonder why Hull KR didn’t want Abdul 

The Hull rumour mill had him having extra special treatment from the female Hull KR physio while being married.

Clearly this is unsubstantiated.

But fits rather nicely with the circumstances.

• Thanks 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

A one-score game, but no sense that Warrington are going to get this to Golden Point.

I like some of these Catalans additions for 2024. I think they could come together quite well as the season goes on.

Another odd penaltyfest where the emphasis seems to be on criminalising any contact. Catalans got the better of us, but considering it was two tries each I don't quite see why the two teams are described as being as far apart on the commentary as they were.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I was travelling, so have only caught up on high speed so not absorbed the game fully, but it does rather look like all the thought has gone into the forwards, I hope that isn't going to be a feature of Burgess' reign. That game was absolutely there for the taking, and the lack of creativity was an issue for us again. 

But, it was away at Catalans and two tries apiece, hardly a disgrace. 

56 minutes ago, Ant said:

He's a Dragons player, they have mastered the art of trying to milk penalties. 

Absolutely.  And in stark contrast to their opponents, who sportingly plead with the ref when he appears to be penalising Catalans, not to do so!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Another odd penaltyfest where the emphasis seems to be on criminalising any contact (with the head). Catalans got the better of us, but considering it was two tries each I don't quite see why the two teams are described as being as far apart on the commentary as they were.

Fixed it for you. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

I'm not sure what the other games have been like, but they are going to need to work on the camerawork at Catalans. Some of those replays made it really difficult to assess the danger of the tackles. 

I don't think McIlorum has any defence, when you stand upright and don't bend at all and use your shoulder, it's hard to complain when you see red. Players really do have to show intent to make a legal tackle to get any mitigation credit. 

• Like 1

I was away getting a cuppa when McIlorum put his hand up for an early shower. Having seen it post-game, I think that is pretty clear as a send-off offence. Shoulder to head with no mitigation. Just unnecessary from him.

The Catalan coach Steve McNamara has bought well in the off season. He has purchased good backs and bolstered a huge powerful forward pack.

The departure of Sam Tomkins, Tyrone May and Mitchell Pearce have been big losses in key positions I am assuming that Hull KR made a big offer to May that Catalans could not match.

The exciting evasive and speedy Arthur Mourgue gets his chance to be permanent full back. Theo Fages is an outstanding defender, a very good field kicker. and is a good organiser of the attack. Jordan Abdull is also a good player though not a match winner which May can be. But Jayden Nikorima has surprised me with his speed off the mark, and he could become the permanent no. 14 at the expense of poor old hooker substitute Alrix DaCosta.

In the forwards Chris Satae has been a wonderful buy. Once the other players get used to him he can bee a huge attacking force up the middle. When you look at Chris Satae, Mike McMeeken, Julien Bousquet, Jordan Dezaria and Romain Navarette as the Catalans premier props then they must have the biggest and probably the best prop rotation combination in Super League.

In the second row you have Tariq Sims, Paul Seguier, Manu  Ma'u, and Bailey Sironen.

At lock you have Benjamin Garcia.

This suggests that Catalans will be in the top 4 again in 2024.

Edited by Bradman Better
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Bradman Better said:

The try scored by Catalans should demonstrate to everyone who may not have figured it out last year, that there are good reasons why Matt Dufty is no longer playing in the NRL. The other dimension of his play which should be noted as relevant is Dufty's lack of appetite for tackling.

Just seen the highlights. That was awful from Dufty. Absolutely awful. 

12 hours ago, Bradman Better said:

In the forwards Chris Satae has been a wonderful buy. Once the other players get used to him he can bee a huge attacking force up the middle. When you look at Chris Satae, Mike McMeeken, Julien Bousquet, Jordan Dezaria and Romain Navarette as the Catalans premier props then they must have the biggest and probably the best prop rotation combination in Super League.

And Taukeiaho is still around.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Just seen the highlights. That was awful from Dufty. Absolutely awful. 

It was, but I would call out, it was a lovely kick, and I thought it was Lindop's all the way, but he did exactly the same as Dufty. 

I'd rather they both have gone for it and dropped it because they crash into each other rather than both giving up. Catalans actively targeted Lindop and they got something from it. I haven't followed team news so not sure why we had trouble with wingers. 

Edited by Dave T

13 hours ago, Bradman Better said:

I don't think it's the biggest and best prop rotation in SL at all. Navarette and Dezaria are pretty average and Catalans will rely on the other 3 an awful lot. I'd take my clubs prop rotation any day and I'm sure fans of a couple of other clubs would say the same too.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

It was, but I would call out, it was a lovely kick, and I thought it was Lindop's all the way, but he did exactly the same as Dufty. 

I'd rather they both have gone for it and dropped it because they crash into each other rather than both giving up. Catalans actively targeted Lindop and they got something from it. I haven't followed team news so not sure why we had trouble with wingers. 

If the winger and full back are both experienced players, you would say it is marginally the winger's ball. When the winger is a 17 year old debutant, you expect that your 28 year old starting fullback (1) screams that it's his so loudly he can he heard in Carcassonne and takes the ball (preferably), or (2) screams so loudly that it is Lindop's that he can be heard in Carcassonne. What ended up happening is genuine schoolboy stuff and quite deflating because 99% of what Dufty did on the night was good, and the 1% is the costly individual error good teams can't afford.

Edited by Just Browny
  • Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

16 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

I was away getting a cuppa when McIlorum put his hand up for an early shower. Having seen it post-game, I think that is pretty clear as a send-off offence. Shoulder to head with no mitigation. Just unnecessary from him.

Hang on Tom Holmes says players will retire from the game if they are no longer allowed to tackle like that without getting a card. 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

If the winger and full back are both experienced players, you would say it is marginally the winger's ball. When the winger is a 17 year old debutant, you expect that your 28 year old starting fullback (1) screams that it's his so loudly he can he heard in Carcassonne and takes the ball (preferably), or (2) screams so loudly that it is Lindop's that he can be heard in Carcassonne. What ended up happening is genuine schoolboy stuff and quite deflating because 99% of what Dufty did on the night was good, and the 1% is the costly individual error good teams can't afford.

Agreed. Lindop will learn from that (he started his movement towards the ball with real purpose and then lost confidence) but as you say, Dufty should be providing leadership. I can see how it happened tbh, I think he decided to try and offer cover for Lindop, but ultimately, your assessmebt is spot on there. 

Edited by Dave T

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Agreed. Lindop will learn from that (he started his movement towards the ball with real purpose and then lost confidence) but as you say, Dufty should be providing leadership. I can see how it happened tbh, I think he decided to try and offer cover for Lindop, but ultimately, your assessmebt is spot on there. 

Bit in bold… critically important, especially in a vital position. 

Lindop is 17 years old and a hugely talented left centre.   He came in with late notice to start on the right wing.   I’ve only scanned through the game quickly but he didn’t look too shabby, despite all the targeting by the Catalans attack.   

Dufty is rocks and diamonds. We all knew this when he was signed. He’s a confidence player, and I’m sure if Burgess can’t get the best out of him soon then Thewlis will be straight in at No.1.   Thewlis is slightly above average on the wing but an excellent all-round fullback.