Knights v Sheffield Eagles.

Fenton Knight

• Fenton Knight changed the title to Knights v Sheffield Eagles.

Well that was a shocker of a game, I know we can’t criticise refs on here and their job is not the easiest but today’s efforts by the man in the middle did leave a lot to be desired. I am sure he was doing his best to enforce the rules as they have been sent to him but it ruined the game, not helped by the usual efforts by certain players to push the rules right to the edge. If this is replicated throughout the season I can see people stopping watching in droves, I have never known the atmosphere as flat as it was today, the game and the players, which should be what we go to watch , came second to seeing who was going to get penalised next, it isn’t doing the game any good, we want to see exciting flowing rugby not stop start penalty after penalty for things which really would have gone unpunished last season.That isn’t the refs fault that is the fault of the RFL. However there doesn’t seem to be any common sense used, what happened to refs giving advice on the run to keep the game flowing? We don’t pay good money to watch them. 

• Like 2

My reaction to the game today was it was spoilt by the man in the middle and if this carries on into the start of the season it's going to put a lot of people attending games.

Red card fully deserved not sure about the yellows for either team. Consistent with offside and play the balls. Both teams must have learnt how to play the ball in 2nd half unless ref relaxed the rules. Had to laugh at linesman in 2 nd half for putting his flag up for bishop in touch then putting it down again. Wish we could spread the ball like Sheffield. Thought the score flattered us

• Like 2

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Disagree with the last comments blaming the ref, people booing the ref!! It's the players fault, they know the rule changes they have to cotton on quickly. Our discipline was shocking, dagger head butting?? Tommo sin binned twice, they should know better. Difficult to take anything positive from the game.

• Like 1

Hard to rate our performance once we went down to 12 permanently. Not sure for how long we had 13 players on the pitch? 20 minutes if that?  If Dagger did headbutt then he should know better. So that will him out for what, 3 or 4 games? Thought Myler showed touches of class, but where is our offloading game? Been like this for years now. Haven’t had an offloading forward since Horne retired. I hope a returning Bailey or Levi can induce a bit of spark. Team seemed flat. 

Hendo very honest in his post match interview as always, no excuses, didn’t blame the ref and basically said York got what they deserved in terms of the result. Couldn’t knock the effort just the way they went about the game and wouldn’t be drawn on making comments on either the opposition or officials, next weeks team selection will be interesting.

• Like 1

Our own worst enemies today I know the ref caused a lot of controversy but we gave him the opportunity.

If dagger has head butted his opponent that’s poor from him and I think with a 13 vs 13 we win but playing long periods with either 11 or 12 men we can’t really judge our team.

Big game now next week need to address the discipline and not get drawn in like we did today.

Positives Josh Daley looked sharp and keinhourst showed some good touches especially the tackle on gwaze.

• Like 1

Can only agree with most of what has been said on here,

Dagger could be 6-8, I reckon.

No argument with the two yellows for Tommo and Jesse for late hits but what about the one that Liam took five minutes later. Apply the rules but be consistent.

Not only will fans stop watching under current rules but some of the senior players will wonder whether to continue.

Spoke to Nick Bennett before the Acorn game yesterday and he said the Csp and L1 referees are under less pressure than their SL colleagues as they can simply go 'on report' but young Mr Rush decided to call it as he saw it today.

Our discipline was really poor today but our lads should know that the Eagles have a number of wind up merchants (two in particular who are known for it) and take the ball right to the line which 'invites' the late hit. Paid dividends for them today.

12 hours ago, Roger York said:

If dagger has head butted his opponent that’s poor from him

the 'incident' was right in front of me. it wasnt in front of the ref or the touchie. dagger should not have reacted to the wind up then he wouldnt have been in the situation, but he did not head butt or attempt to head butt anyone that was pure fabrication by the touchie. 'handbags' that was all it was.

Our discipline was awful, seemed like we had more penalties against us and cards in that first half than we had all last season. Does my head in when players waste their energy moaning at the ref like Jesse Dee did, whether he's right or wrong he isn't changing his mind so just shut yer gob. Sheffield always play to wind up the opposition and milk penalties, so we should be wise to it by now.

Still, ref's do need to let the game flow a bit if at all possible as that's what we all pay to watch and the lad did anything but. Even when he was giving numerous penalties against Sheffield, people were getting fed up. 

Easily the worst game I've been to in years as a spectacle, felt especially bad as I'd been to Wigan on Saturday night. Like eating a bag of cold chips out of a bin after dining in a Michelin starred restaurant the evening before.

Serious improvement needed for next week.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

Pretty sure Jesse Dee went to the bin for the late hit not any dissent or backchat.

And as for the alleged headbutt, reports from the video footage suggest otherwise, Nearenough?

32 minutes ago, andyacko said:

Pretty sure Jesse Dee went to the bin for the late hit not any dissent or backchat.

And as for the alleged headbutt, reports from the video footage suggest otherwise, Nearenough?

I thought it was for gobbing at the ref as he seemed to be talking to him for a while before he got the card out. Pretty poor to get 3 yellows in a half for late hits though, needs work does that. 

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Myler at fullback and Williams / Hingano partnering Harris is not a bad combination. We really do need to be smarter against the likes of Sheffield, they have always been the same, that is the way Aston coaches them, I really don't like how they play even if it is effective it is certainly not attractive.

• Like 2

Is there any news on Santi he came off injured and didn’t look happy he was indicating that something had broken in his foot.

Could be expensive day yesterday looks like dagger will get banned losing Santi and any comeback on the late hits by Thompson and Dee.

Regarding consistency with the ref I think we were lucky not to get another sin binned with the tip tackle late in the first half.

3 minutes ago, Roger York said:

Is there any news on Santi he came off injured and didn’t look happy he was indicating that something had broken in his foot.

Had ice on his calf at the end, hopefully it's nothing serious.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nearenough said:

the 'incident' was right in front of me. it wasnt in front of the ref or the touchie. dagger should not have reacted to the wind up then he wouldnt have been in the situation, but he did not head butt or attempt to head butt anyone that was pure fabrication by the touchie. 'handbags' that was all it was.

Dagger was a red that was the only right decision regarding all the cards imo he went and squared up to bjb after touch and his head did touch his stupid decision from him however people sat near me said they saw bjb spit on dagger after throwing him in touch which instigated it dunno how true that is but if correct it’s disgusting and I can understand why dagger reacted.

Just now, Cam varley said:

Dagger was a red that was the only right decision regarding all the cards imo he went and squared up to bjb after touch and his head did touch his stupid decision from him however people sat near me said they saw bjb spit on dagger after throwing him in touch which instigated it dunno how true that is but if correct it’s disgusting and I can understand why dagger reacted.

If that's true, Dagger should have shown the ref then it would be BJB looking at a 6 game ban rather than him.

6 hours ago, Cam varley said:

Didn't see the ref put the incident on report and Dagger did put his head into the Sheffield players head which stupid,but sometimes in the heat of battle players do stupid things,but hopefully Dagger will learn from his mistake.