4 minutes ago, Derwent said:

No I’m not saying that. I’m saying they, through different lived experiences, bring things into the mix that Peet doesn’t have. That is not a criticism of Peet in any way whatsoever. Any good management team, whether in business or sport, needs a good mix of different skills and experience that compliment each other. Peet will have skills the other 2 don’t have, they will have some that he doesn’t. That’s just a fact of life. All that matters in the end is that the blend works, and it clearly does at Wigan. Matty Peet seems to be an exceptional Head Coach, and even better human being, but I’m sure he’d be the first to acknowledge the contribution of his support staff.

I wasn't reading your post as any kind of criticism of Peet and mine are certainly not any criticism of O'Loughlin or Leuluai and their contribution. 

I agree with your wider premise on the make up of teams and I have made my (very specific) point a couple of times on the thread now so I won't restate it.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Peet has surrounded himself with those people and leans heavily on them. He is the first to acknowledge the role of Leuluai and O'Loughlin, they are every bit as important to Wigans success as he is. I certainly think that Peet is the first to know his limitations and when others have more expertise, and that is a great skill itself. A great head coach should be the glue that holds that together.

This is perhaps true, a head coach doesn't necessarily need to be a great coach, but needs to be a good manager of people and roles, by recruiting Leuluai and O'Loughlin to be his commanding officers seems a wise move.

They will only do what Peet tells them to do, it has to be a team thing, and it's definitely worked so far at Wigan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I am not arguing the importance of O'Loughlin and Leuluai but you are suggesting that there are some elements of Rugby League game play or tactics that they possess that Peet doesn't because he wasn't a top class player.  And I disagree with that view.

They will know what it takes to be in a position that Peet hasn't  experienced, they can advise him, advise the players, Peet may well be a great man manager, a good tactician and a sound motivator, but he won't have the on and off field experience that his assistants have.

I think that's fair.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, meast said:

He's a very likeable guy isn't he and he's made the transition from academy to first grade very smoothly and found instant success.

Yes, 14 years it  took him to be an instant success.

• Haha 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

18 minutes ago, meast said:

They will know what it takes to be in a position that Peet hasn't  experienced, they can advise him, advise the players, Peet may well be a great man manager, a good tactician and a sound motivator, but he won't have the on and off field experience that his assistants have.

I think that's fair.

It is fair to say that he doesn't have the on field experiences of O'Loughlin and Leuluai yes.

And do I think having a mix of experiences is good.  Yes.

But I think your post does, to a degree, lean into my wider point which is that we don't find as many Matty Peet's in the game as we should because we place far too much value on the playing experiences of developing coaches and not their potential as a coach. It's not just Rugby League either, I think most sports make this mistake.

Even when Peet was being mooted as the next head coach of Wigan there were people questioning his appointment.  And more so than say a Sam Burgess at Wire despite Peet having much more experience in coaching overall.  Again because playing ability is given too much weight in coaching ability.

And I am not being critical of you here, I hope you don't take it that way.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

32 minutes ago, meast said:

He's a very likeable guy isn't he and he's made the transition from academy to first grade very smoothly and found instant success.

It's pretty great the way he has worked his way up from the bottom. It's not an easy path, that isn't particularly rewarding financially either until you make it to first team level, and takes a great deal of persistance and a love of RL.

Undoubtedly he'd have learned a lot on that journey and working at those lower levels of the system. I think you see that in his humility and his obvious enjoyment of being Wigan head coach.

Edited by Damien

38 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It is fair to say that he doesn't have the on field experiences of O'Loughlin and Leuluai yes.

And do I think having a mix of experiences is good.  Yes.

But I think your post does, to a degree, lean into my wider point which is that we don't find as many Matty Peet's in the game as we should because we place far too much value on the playing experiences of developing coaches and not their potential as a coach. It's not just Rugby League either, I think most sports make this mistake.

Even when Peet was being mooted as the next head coach of Wigan there were people questioning his appointment.  And more so than say a Sam Burgess at Wire despite Peet having much more experience in coaching overall.  Again because playing ability is given too much weight in coaching ability.

And I am not being critical of you here, I hope you don't take it that way.

Not at all, I see all points, it probably explains why Wigan are now European and world champions. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

You might have to take those words back if he ever stood on a drawing pin in his bare feet.

I don't think even then it changes ha ha..

Even standing on lego wouldn't change it...

Edited by dkw

Matty Peet is a well educated student of the game, he is also a man who knows his town and people and uses his knowledge of Wigan's history, town and club, to get his players to buy into his ethos of you play for the town, the club, the team first and yourself last.

The way he made sure Liam Marshall was supported by the team (in the broadest sense) this week, he told the team when they attended Liam's mother's funeral that it was bigger and more important than anything else this week shows how he builds a bond between the players. That sort of bond is what creates the sort of defence that Wigan showed last night.

Edited by Padge
  • Like 3

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

John Monie didn't have a great deal of experience either, yet a bit more than Peet but not a great deal.

Edited by Padge

9 minutes ago, Padge said:

Matty Peet is a well educated student of the game, he is also a man who knows his town and people and uses his knowledge of Wigan's history, town and club, to get his players to buy into his ethos of you play for the town, the club, the team first and yourself last.

The way he made sure Liam Marshall was supported by the team (in the broadest sense) this week, he told the team when they attended Liam's mother's funeral that it was bigger and more important than anything else this week shows how he builds a bond between the players. That sort of bond is what creates the sort of defence that Wigan showed last night.

He really has done a fantastic job in this. He has taken the kind of stuff Shaun Wane was doing a good few steps further and done it in a much more disciplined and controlled way. Coaches that are Wigan born fans of the club, who understand the club and history, can really tap into something that outsiders can't.

Obviously that's not to knock other coaches from elsewhere. Wigan have had some fantastic outside coaches too who have taken the club to another different level through their innovation and new coaching techniques.

30 minutes ago, Padge said:

There were people on here saying he wasn't the right man for the job and that Wigan needed transformation and improvement that only comes with fresh ideas from Australia.  I am so glad that Peet has lived up to his potential as a coach and proved those who questioned his appintment wrong. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

There were people on here saying he wasn't the right man for the job and that Wigan needed transformation and improvement that only comes with fresh ideas from Australia.  I am so glad that Peet has lived up to his potential as a coach and proved those who questioned his appintment wrong. 

I was a doubter, and was surprised he got the gig. I didn't necessarily want an Aussie.

I will hold my hands up and say Wigan got his appointment absolutely right. A friend of mine who works at the club said he was so well respected within the club it was no surprise to him and others at the club.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Do you think he will replace Andy Farrell for Ireland coach when Farrell joins Shaun Edwards in for French national team.

That's a bit random???

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Padge said:

That's a bit random???

It isn't: EggFace doesn't seem able to post without mentioning something to do with union.

How else can you derail a thread about Peet to point it in a union direction?! 😂

Edited by Barley Mow

13 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

what is his playing background please?

I played with him at Hindley as a kid. I’ll be honest, I was surprised when I saw him in St Pats first team about 10/15 years later because I wasn’t sure he’d reach that level. When I first saw that he had become involved at Wigan it was again a shock but Christ, he’s worked his way up and looks born for the job. He is doing an incredible job and seems to just get it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pie tries said:

Biggest issue Wigan fans have is that they now have nothing to moan about…

As if Rugby League fans have ever let a piddling little obstacle like that stop them!

• Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson