Vegas Again/2025 and WCC

2 minutes ago, Worzel said:

Good. That's how you get good PR, and rugby league has failed to do the basics like this for years. 

No problem with that, and good they declared it. But it means I'll not be believing a single word they say on whether the event worked, succeeded (etc).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

No problem with that, and good they declared it. But it means I'll not be believing a single word they say on whether the event worked, succeeded (etc).

Anyone who watched the "event" type build up, saw how NRL dominated the Aussie news cycle, watched the matches, and then finally saw the TV viewing figures land after the weekend won't be in any doubt that it succeeded.

A brave plan, executed with commitment and chutzpah, that delivered - and can build next year. It's a rare thing for our game and I'm delighted.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Worzel said:

Anyone who watched the "event" type build up, saw how NRL dominated the Aussie news cycle, watched the matches, and then finally saw the TV viewing figures land after the weekend won't be in any doubt that it succeeded.

A brave plan, executed with commitment and chutzpah, that delivered - and can build next year. It's a rare thing for our game and I'm delighted.  

You have done an excellent job choosing your words there.

It was, I agree, a superb Australian event and a success in and for Australia and Australian rugby league. Whether it has succeeded on terms other than that is unknown but unlikely. And that success is, I agree, absolutely not to be sneezed at.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Would be good if one day they could do that at Wembley or a big footy ground 

Hmmm...let me think about that for the moment. Wemberlee - Las Vegas- Las Vegas - Wemberlee - 

Skeg Vegas sign

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Copa said:

Some locals having fun.

At one point you can see a Toronto Wolfpack fan sitting behind them.

I think I’d sooner sit near the cowbell rather than anywhere near them. I’ll give part two the swerve.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

You have done an excellent job choosing your words there.

It was, I agree, a superb Australian event and a success in and for Australia and Australian rugby league. Whether it has succeeded on terms other than that is unknown but unlikely. And that success is, I agree, absolutely not to be sneezed at.

I don’t fall into the trap of debating a straw man argument about whether it advances rugby league in America. That is not its vision, mission, purpose or goal. I judge it on the terms it has been created for, which is to strengthen Australian rugby league 1) domestically and 2) increasing the likelihood of gaining a minor TV deal in the US, and a small slice of the sports betting market.

Neither of the latter are major factors, but would be nice. However, the exercise justifies itself on the former element alone. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Not one word, c`mon. Even if you do strip away a certain amount of fawning because you believe they were paid to, the underlying or base sentiment was very positive.

• Like 1

Here's a much more chippy take, which may cheer up the fun-sponges: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/mar/04/nrl-las-vegas-games-review-allegiant-stadium-roosters-vs-broncos-eagles-vs-rabbitohs-?CMP=aus_bsky 

A line like: "That’s not to dismiss rugby league’s chances entirely. The US has 330 million people, many of them with more disposable income than brains." suggest the author has a sizeable chip on his shoulder.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, JohnM said:

Hmmm...let me think about that for the moment. Wemberlee - Las Vegas- Las Vegas - Wemberlee - 

Skeg Vegas sign

And the answer is….

Both!

Well maybe not Wembley but somewhere in the 40-60k range could work for an NRL/SL double header. Play the same weekend as Vegas. The more big events the better.

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Here's a much more chippy take, which may cheer up the fun-sponges: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/mar/04/nrl-las-vegas-games-review-allegiant-stadium-roosters-vs-broncos-eagles-vs-rabbitohs-?CMP=aus_bsky 

A line like: "That’s not to dismiss rugby league’s chances entirely. The US has 330 million people, many of them with more disposable income than brains." suggest the author has a sizeable chip on his shoulder.

American “soccer” advocate. He thinks rugby league’s rules are too complicated. Wait until he sees a Six Nations match 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Anyone who writes a comment like that in a supposedly serious article lacks sufficient self awareness to recognise that he is actually writing about himself.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Where Rugby League leads fumbleball follows.

They copied out magic weekend concept last year and called gather round

Where SL goes, the NRL follows. They copied our magic weekend concept… 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I will go back to my main complaint. Where was the NRL/ARL investment in OUR WORLD CUP in 2017. If they had spent a fraction of the money heaped on red in Vegas on that tournament it could have been a massive success. They may well have another World Cup in 2026, and it will be fascinating to compare and contrast. Because while the NRL is good for the NRL (built off the easiest sales job in the world - selling the greatest game to a discerning sporting market) the jury is out as to whether the NRL is good for the global game. 

• Like 2

On 02/03/2024 at 10:38, Whippet13 said:

This is about future gambling revenue, not current media coverage or a few games in Vegas. I suspect the NRL will be hosting major US gambling companies in Vegas this weekend and saying - "look at this, we dumped an unknown sport here, got 45-50k people turn up with no national media coverage, we have nationwide Fox TV coverage lined up for our competition, these are the gambling options, are you interested in investing?" Their decision will decide how successful this all becomes.

I think you just might have it...and I don't think they will like the answer.

26 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Where SL goes, the NRL follows. They copied our magic weekend concept… 

I was thinking the other day about awesome cities to watch RL, and I think SL has been pretty good in this area. 

As well as the usual towns and cities, we've seen SL played in Paris, Cardiff, London, Edinburgh, Paris, Barcelona, Wollongong, Newcastle (UK) amongst others. We also had Toulouse in, and had Covid not come along then we'd have had a team in Toronto. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Anyone who writes a comment like that in a supposedly serious article lacks sufficient self awareness to recognise that he is actually writing about himself.

I have no idea how that line gets passed an editor to be honest. Just really grim.

I wonder if any NFL fans saw the games esp the first one and just thought it was just thought it looked like a faster version of NFL ....it's Football but not as we know it.

• Like 2