SKY - if you are reading this stop the spoilers

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think a big reason why they are doing this is because by showing all 6 games, there is a big risk the main game chosen is far from a classic. 

Instead of switching over to a soap on ITV, a lot of this could just be Sky being able to say "look there's still this for you to watch".

How presumptuous of you Thomas the soaps on ITV are well worth watching, just ask my missus, far better than that carp I keep watching she says!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So why does the BBC on its Saturday or Sunday night newscast prior to MOD and MOD-2 say when doing the sports bulletin, if anyone does not want to know the scores look away now?

Yeah, they say look away now, then announce the results. Shouldn't it be block your ears if you don't want to know?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Personally not bothered about the score updates as i am usually at our game anyway, what does annoy me though is when the commentator (Mark Wilson usually), who has access to the officials audio it seems, announcing that 'there's a red card coming here' about 30 seconds before the Ref actually calls the player over, to me it spoils the drama of waiting to see what colour the card will be, or saying the video ref has given a try when on the screen we can still see the replay, by all means let commentators have access to the audio but please don't tell us what's going to happen and spoil it.

He just wants to show he is immensely more cleverer than yo.

But seriously the most annoying thing is the lack of camera angles when decisions go up to the video ref, if Sky are utilising VR's at every game get enough cameras to judge it properly. Last Friday at Leigh Kendall sends up the Tom Amone effort as no try, we never saw the angle on TV that Kendall disallowed it, the video ref had no view of the incident that Kendall adjudicated it.

We said it will be good now that we have VR's at all games as they do in the NRL, it would be if Sky did it as professionally as Fox sports do it.

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

Personally not bothered about the score updates as i am usually at our game anyway, what does annoy me though is when the commentator (Mark Wilson usually), who has access to the officials audio it seems, announcing that 'there's a red card coming here' about 30 seconds before the Ref actually calls the player over, to me it spoils the drama of waiting to see what colour the card will be, or saying the video ref has given a try when on the screen we can still see the replay, by all means let commentators have access to the audio but please don't tell us what's going to happen and spoil it.

Superb, a new angle on spoilers to debate 😆

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

Wow.

• Haha 1

For us, it seems that games (and progs) on iPlayer are about 60 secs or more behind games (and progs) on terrestrial BBC TV, presumably because of the more complex signal path and data flow in the overall broadband/ iPlayer system.  Not only does this help in getting Mastermind questions right, it means that the kitchen TV shows tries  well before they appear on the lounge TV. This forum demands that all terrestrial TV is delayed to synch with iPlayer live feed.

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Wow.

I must admit, joking aside, I do have some sympathy with this view, but I think it's more a general view of less is more with commentators. I'd rather they quieten down and let us hear from the refs and let it play out in front of us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Superb, a new angle on spoilers to debate 😆

i'll give you another one, looking further afield

last game of the regular season saints and wigan are tied at the top for the league leaders shield whoever they're playing could have ramifications for the other play off places.

Will fans at that point(certainly ones of teams involved) suddenly change their minds and be desperate to know how its going in real time,

or will they be content to wait till full time to find out their fate?

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I must admit, joking aside, I do have some sympathy with this view, but I think it's more a general view of less is more with commentators. I'd rather they quieten down and let us hear from the refs and let it play out in front of us.

I hate making the comparison because it's not always about that, but the 'Bunker' in the NRL gets it spot on in terms of speed, accuracy and explanation to the viewer. Too many of our video refs like the sound of their own voice and want the perception of being thorough, when actually they're just coming across as indecisive. Production levels comes into as well - i've no doubt the team delivering edits/replays in the NRL is multiple times bigger than the couple of blokes in a trailer Sky offer up. 

5 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

last game of the regular season saints and wigan are tied at the top for the league leaders shield whoever they're playing could have ramifications for the other play off places.

Will fans at that point(certainly ones of teams involved) suddenly change their minds and be desperate to know how its going in real time,

The point that people objecting to spoilers are making is that those who want to know the other scores can simply switch channels or use the little device the vast majority of us have within two feet of us - That would be the option in your scenario.

As long as spoilers are announced, those people who don't want to know the other scores can't avoid them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spidey said:

Score updates have happened all the time on Sky, what hasn't happened is the simultaneous transmission of games - I get the angst there to a certain degree,  Complaining about giving out NRL scores half a day after its happened to make a point is a bit weird and I doubt you can get an example of that from other sports

Example from other sport - cycling, they never tell you what happened in other races on the same day as they know a lot of viewers are keen enough to watch 1 live then catch up with the stream of another race afterwards 

26 minutes ago, arcticchris said:

Example from other sport - cycling, they never tell you what happened in other races on the same day as they know a lot of viewers are keen enough to watch 1 live then catch up with the stream of another race afterwards 

Yes, we discussed cycling before.

Meanwhile, on TNT tonight, last night and the night before, they will update on the scores going on in the same competition as the one being broadcast, all whilst those are available to watch on adjacent channels.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

The point that people objecting to spoilers are making is that those who want to know the other scores can simply switch channels or use the little device the vast majority of us have within two feet of us - That would be the option in your scenario.

As long as spoilers are announced, those people who don't want to know the other scores can't avoid them.

Spoilers are now being extended to include 'matches played yesterday'.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

I expect that, like those who insist all games should kick off at different times, they will appreciate that the last round is an exceptional event and can happily be treated differently. 

I was watching the Salford Wigan game and thought Sky have not given out any scores so maybe they are listening. 

Then I remembered it was Thursday. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I was watching the Salford Wigan game and thought Sky have not given out any scores so maybe they are listening. 

Then I remembered it was Thursday. 

Give it time, they may give out the NRL score from this morning yet.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Give it time, they may give out the NRL score from this morning yet.

As long as they don't mention the Canterbury Balmain score!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

You didn't miss much if they do, it was a bit dull after Lamb took Hanley out. Balmain never stood a chance then.

Oops 😬 

16 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I'll be furious if they give out tomorrow mornings Storm v Warriors score tonight....

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dkw said:

I'll be furious if they give out tomorrow mornings Storm v Warriors score tonight....

That's the beauty of time zones. They played tomorrow's game yesterday. 

• Haha 1