Restructure of Championship and League 1

34 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I’d rather see a team from an area without an existing pro club in the pyramid such as Manchester, Nottingham, Carcassonne, Avignon etc rather than a NCL club from Wigan, Hull, Halifax, Oldham etc

Yes, would be madness to add an NCL club from a place that already has a pro club in the area - and I think that is all of the current members.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

They do. So that's why you can't lump all pensioners into the same bracket of being poor and charge them less as it's not fair and there's no way of means testing an entry ticket.

Just exclude folk with YO postcodes.   Or HG.

Job done.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

17 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

I think it'll be either be Skolars back or Carcassonne.

Bower does actually specifically say NCL.  Could be an error on his part, obviously.

From a playing point of view a top NCL club would do a lot better than an area out of the heartlands.

However I agree that would be a step backwards and just hope that a development area can provide the right kind of backing that has been sadly lacking in the games history.

4 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

I get charging £18-£20 to adults. But all under 18's should be free as this is now the school leaving age. There should also be a set charge for concessions across the board of £10-£12. When we played Swinton recently( appreciate or was a 6pm Sunday kick off) there were very few children in the the ground. These young ones are the future of the game and we need to develop a habit so they keep coming back when they are older. With regards the pensioners they have contributed to the game for many many years and deserve a reduced admission. The junior and concession rates should be mandatory and set by the league.

Dewsbury have been charging full price for the last two years and also offering free entry to U18's for that same period. There has been no real discernible impact upon the gates nor the demographics of attendance.

To attract youngsters we need to make RL attractive - leaving the heavy lifting to individual clubs is futile if the fundamental attraction of the sport isn't first established. This is one of IMG's priorities but it won't be achieved in a couple of months; it's a long process.

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

I have been saying for a while that clubs should aim to be self sufficient. I include SL clubs in this. Existing just on hand out money is totally wrong. Any funding through TV deals etc should be to strengthen the structure of the club and the game in general. 

Then we should just stop playing RL. Not one single club is self-sufficient under your criteria.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

18 hours ago, Rene_Artois said:

Or a team in winning form plays a team in losing form?

Not necessarily. Championship is likely to be close from 4th down to 9th/10th/11th maybe even 12th. It's feasible that those teams are closer to the play offs than they are bottom of the league.

1 hour ago, JonM said:

The over-65s own over 90% of UK wealth. Obviously there's a huge inequality in how that wealth is spread out and plenty of pensioners who are not very well off at all, but overall pensioners are by.far the richest group in society.  

Going massively off topic but wealth and disposable income are very different things. Most over 65's wealth is tied up in property that has appreciated in value over the years but they are unlikely to liquidise this asset - rather it will pass to their children.

Income flow for many, but not all, is reasonable but rapidly diminishing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JonM said:

The over-65s own over 90% of UK wealth. Obviously there's a huge inequality in how that wealth is spread out and plenty of pensioners who are not very well off at all, but overall pensioners are by.far the richest group in society.  

That's financial prudence for you.

30 minutes ago, Griff said:

Decades of compounding. (And of course, owning an expensive house without a mortgage makes you 'wealthy' in asset terms but doesn't necessarily give you an income to pay your £20 to watch Dewsbury or whoever.)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JonM said:

Decades of compounding. (And of course, owning an expensive house without a mortgage makes you 'wealthy' in asset terms but doesn't necessarily give you an income to pay your £20 to watch Dewsbury or whoever.)

To be honest, it's no surprise to me that people who have been acquiring wealth longest are the most wealthy.

Young folk need to get their heads around it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Griff said:

That's what trophies are. Tin pots, basically.

What do Superleague clubs get ?  Promotion to the NRL?   No, they get a tin pot.

Have you no ambition at all for your club, the chances of Sheffield ever obtaining a Grade A is as rare as hens teeth, you are just hiding behind that you are happy your club is always going to be mediocre, so be it.

4 hours ago, Simon Hall said:

The pensioners I know are wealthier than most working people, mortgages are paid off on the house they paid a pittance for and they've got some nice pensions. Why should I pay more than them to get into a rugby match? 

Under 16s should be free throughout the sport to encourage new supporters and families, everyone else should pay the same.

Like under 16's being the next paying customers, if people are still going after retirement age it must be a habit they have been doing all their lives, let them in free especially if records show they have held season tickets previously.

4 hours ago, Griff said:

A stand for 200 folk is definitely the point where most NCL clubs would stumble.

Are these applicants definitely NCL?   Are there any NCL clubs outside the "traditional areas"?  Can't think of any, though I may have missed one.

It wouldnt be difficult to get a 200 seater stand put up.

Would any SCL clubs be interested?

4 hours ago, Cerulean said:

And I genuinely know pensioners for whom £40 for a couple is pretty close to their food spending for a week, and certainly exceeds their discretionary income. These are folk who worked continuously for 50 years, paid taxes, were significant net contributors to society, and lived a particularly frugal life for a good part of it. They save every penny - literally, every penny - for a one week a year holiday, if they were fortunate. If you have no personal memory of growing up, taking your place in the work force, and the frugality of life in the 50s and 60s in the deprived sections of society, me trying to persuade you will not work.

In fact I agree that there is no reason for OAP concessions. If buying a £20 pizza, or £20 entry to a sporting contest, or a gap year doing nothing, or a car when you are 18, or financing an extensive bucket list, or a daily artistically produced coffee, cannot be afforded, so be it. Most folk have plenty of things they can’t afford. 

Add to that a lot would have been paying 15% mortgage not the 3% that is so abhorrent today, we did not have paternity or maternity leave, free nursery fees or a host of other benefits the younger generation recieve today.

4 hours ago, JonM said:

Why?

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

15% mortgage not the 3% that is so abhorrent today, 

Yeah. Compare the average house price with the average salary.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Griff said:

That generation spent more on beer than on their mortgage.

Because it was possible to do so.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

It wouldnt be difficult to get a 200 seater stand put up.

No, you can hire one, but that's likely not the only issue. Just the most visible one.

6 hours ago, northamptoncougar said:

Why are they always out and about filling up Garden centres during the weekdays then?

I genuinely know a few pensioner couples that eat out every day 

Homeless I presume.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

That generation spent more on beer than on their mortgage.

Because it was possible to do so.

No. My mortgage was definitely more than my alcohol bill.

But - hey - don't let facts get in the way of your envy.

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yeah. Compare the average house price with the average salary.

It is all very revelent. House price v salery, in June 1980 I signed up for a mortgage of £51 a month that was the max I could afford on my wages we moved into the house in September and the payments had gone up just over 33% to £68 for our first payment, my missus had to do part time jobs on top of her full time job so we could survive it, I know and realise that is hard today when %'s rise, but they are nothing in comparison to what we had to put up with.

And again you take snippets of a post to comment on, what about all the other windfall benefits I mentioned? they obviously reduce and help with the debts, things we had to finance ourselves.

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Add to that a lot would have been paying 15% mortgage not the 3% that is so abhorrent today, we did not have paternity or maternity leave, free nursery fees or a host of other benefits the younger generation recieve today.

15% of nowt is a lot less than 3% of loads. 

You could get a 3 bedroom house in York for 20k in the early 80s, 3 times the average wage. That same house is now 400k, which is about 12 times the average wage. 

Didn’t get maternity or paternity leave cos it wasn’t needed, the wife generally didn’t need to even have a full time job. 

• Like 4

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season