Thur 14 Mar: SL: Salford Red Devils v Wigan Warriors KO 8pm (Sky)

Who will win?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford Red Devils
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/03/24 at 20:30

3 minutes ago, JT RL said:

Salford should have taken the easy 2 points, when the yellow card was given. 14-10 up .. and they’d get the ball back. Match management.  

Wigan would've gone for the short kick off, no guarantee they would've got the ball back.

3 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Short drop out was risky, but it's the wing man who ed up, should've caught it. 

Better communication and Salford would have had a couple more players out there for the pat-back instead of an attempted catch. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

And that's why Sneyd will never be an international or top half back, brilliant when running the show but awful game management that has just cost his team a famous victory.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

How can you be prevented from scoring a try and be awarded a try? Just because you haven't grounded the ball, a try is a try, penalty try or not.

But you can't be awarded a penalty try if you are not prevented from scoring a try.

This feels like a comedy sketch. 

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, daz39 said:

And that's why Sneyd will never be an international or top half back, brilliant when running the show but awful game management that has just cost his team a famous victory.

One thing I can’t criticise Sneyd for is his game management. OK tonight was an error that ultimately cost Salford the game but those kind of misjudgements from him are few and far between IMO.

40 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

The card is for preventing a try scoring opportunity. If you give the try, you've not prevented a try scoring opportunity.

If the awarded try is a Penalty Try then there was no try.(apologies if I've misunderstood you).

Anyway, if a team eventually gets away with illegally stopping a try- aren't we in Rah Rah territory? I suspect in real world situations there is no right answer. 

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

18 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

But you can't be awarded a penalty try if you are not prevented from scoring a try.

This feels like a comedy sketch. 

Monty Python would have been good in Penalty Try or Not!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

Any team wearing their 4th kit of the season in their 5th(?) game deserves to get beaten. Let's hope so.

I am not sure if you picked up on this but that top is for a very good cause.

36 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Short drop out was risky, but it's the wing man who ed up, should've caught it. 

But even if they get it they are trapped within their 10 after already being pushed back over the tryline twice for drop outs. Its hardly a great play anyway.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

The card is for preventing a try scoring opportunity. If you give the try, you've not prevented a try scoring opportunity.

Preventing a try-scoring opportunity is one sin-binnable offence, as is professional fouling.

I still think Wardle was lucky not to be binned for electing to pull back Sneyd, who was chasing his kick towards the in-goal.

• Like 1

Full credit to Salford, they were the better side for most of the night. They’re fighting for every inch under Rowley and to go that close to a win, with so many forwards out is unbelievable really. I was behind the posts when Sneyd was going for the drop out and it felt like he was going to try and be a bit too clever. He’d played a blinder up until that point as well.

As for Wigan, we’re well off the mark in the main but that’s understandable. I think it’ll take a good few weeks to get their heads straight and back on the job of trying to win more silverware. I’ll forgive the players that and you can’t grumble winning games and not playing well.