Sat 30th Mar: SL: Warrington Wolves v Catalans Dragons KO 15:00 (Sky/BBC iPlayer/SuperLeague+)

Who will win?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Catalans Dragons

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/03/24 at 15:30

5 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

11,214 in attendance. 

I'm guessing that's the most home fans we've had in that stadium for quite some time. 

Well done Wire, shame about the result. It was frustrating but entertaining enough to hope that most of those in there today will be back.

Was an excellent atmosphere for a Catalans game. A good one for newbies, even in defeat. 

• Like 5

Really horrible incident during the game. From one of Thewlis' conversions the ball hit a speaker that was hanging from the roof of the East stand. It snapped off and fell 30/40m to the ground. 

It was a miracle that nobody was hit, as underneath the speakers are the disabled seats. It genuinely would have killed somebody, and seeing it happen in real time was sickening. 

Thankfully nobody was hurt, but I expect there will be some safety checks at the ground this week. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Really horrible incident during the game. From one of Thewlis' conversions the ball hit a speaker that was hanging from the roof of the East stand. It snapped off and fell 30/40m to the ground. 

It was a miracle that nobody was hit, as underneath the speakers are the disabled seats. It genuinely would have killed somebody, and seeing it happen in real time was sickening. 

Thankfully nobody was hurt, but I expect there will be some safety checks at the ground this week. 

They mentioned it during the game on TV, seems a bit odd that a ball can dislodge a speaker, surely they're bolted on.

Edited by bratman

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yeah,I saw it. Health and safety will be all over that. All the other lights Will probably be checked now. I wonder what the odds would be in that happening?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bratman said:

They mentioned it during the game on TV, seems a bit odd that a ball can dislodge a speaker, surely they're bolted on.

Yeah, it got hit with some force, but it really shouldn't have snapped off the bracket. 

It actually shook me up during the game. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yeah, it got hit with some force, but it really shouldn't have snapped off the bracket. 

Commentary said it did hit someone, once they checked out they were OK the game was allowed to continue.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Eek, sounds like a health and safety review is needed, probably across all grounds.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Padge said:

Commentary said it did hit someone, once they checked out they were OK the game was allowed to continue.

If anything it can only have been shrapnel, but tbh quite quickly there were people near there laughing and no paramedics etc, so assume it didn't. Had it landed fully on somebody it would have very, very serious. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If anything it can only have been shrapnel, but tbh quite quickly there were people near there laughing and no paramedics etc, so assume it didn't. Had it landed fully on somebody it would have very, very serious. 

The ref delayed the start until the fourth official gave the go ahead after he had been given the nod from stadium staff.

Though they said it had hit someone it may be they presumed it had since the restart was delayed.

• Like 1

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

12 minutes ago, Padge said:

The ref delayed the start until the fourth official gave the go ahead after he had been given the nod from stadium staff.

Though they said it had hit someone it may be they presumed it had since the restart was delayed.

Yeah I think that's it. We were relatively close (as in  a block away), I was relieved to see the official come over, speak to the stewards and give the ref the thumbs up. 

50 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Had it landed fully on somebody it would have very, very serious.

They would even have been justified to come on here and say it was the worst game they have ever been to.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

They would even have been justified to come on here and say it was the worst game they have ever been to.

Or blame the ref.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Pretty classless stuff from whomever is manning Catalans' twitter.

Ah, I think it's all part of the fun. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Ah, I think it's all part of the fun. 

This is what social media is about, quick grab attention and encourage discussion and sharing.
As long it doesn't get personal and cause no harm where is the problem.

As you say, part of the fun.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Padge said:

This is what social media is about, quick grab attention and encourage discussion and sharing.
As long it doesn't get personal and cause no harm where is the problem.

As you say, part of the fun.

Exactly, it should be content that people share, and I've done so here. I don't think we need to be too precious. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

3 in 3 now for Rougé.

He’s career is really starting to take off, pretty much locked up a spot in the Catalan 17 every week now you’d think.

I would hope so but in reality he drops out when the 3 missing spine players return.

14 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Kebabdul over 60% of the votes for the Our League MOM.

14 hours ago, Ullman said:

And he fittingly wraps it up.

What sort of wrap was it?

(I know, I know, took me a while to think of that one...)

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Steve McNamara is in his 7th season  at Catalans. Often criticized on here in previous roles, he seems to have firmly established himself in Perpignan, demonstrating the sort of stability and success (and relationship with the owner?) that has eluded many a SuperLeague coach. It would be good for the game if Burgess could do the same at Wire, joing the ranks of coaches like McNamara and Peet, both consummate professionals.

Edited by JohnM

For all the criticism of Abdull's weight/ fitness etc, he actually played the full 80, scored the last try in the 79th minute and was a worthy man of the match. Don't know what people want from a player if they can criticise that. I thought he was brilliant and would walk into any SL team in that form.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Been a good weekend of Easter rugby.

I wasn't convinced that removing the Friday and Monday fixtures was the right thing to do but the second fixture (and impacting the following week) was always a bit flat.  Very happy with the intensity on show.

Agree and was also unsure at the time.

If I was in charge I would put at least some of the Champ/League 1 games on Easter Monday so they can reap some footfall from people who still fancy two games over the weekend.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.