Cornwall 14th April.

jroyales

A win’s a win but I’m pretty sure Long won’t be happy with what was a lacklustre performance. Completion rate and discipline (what was the penalty count?) was very poor. Play like that against better opposition and we’ll get punished. Still, another 2 points.

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

We’re not going to steamroller and nil everybody. Key personnel changes make a difference. Good to get these boys who aren’t playing regularly into the swing of things. We don’t want to be found wanting and underdone against the top teams. With the knowledge and experience in our squad and coaching staff I reckon lesson learned from today and similar marches/results will be sharply pointed out and learned from.  It will be interesting to see the result of Keighley v Crusaders. Cru could be the dark horses this year- as they were in fact last season. They could well take points off the supposed too teams.

• Like 3

We were a bit dis-jointed today due to changes in personnel, but we have got a lot of players wrong side of 30 and need to use the squad sensibly.

PLT has to play fullback every week - the lad is superb.

Ref allowed Cornwall to do a lot of delaying in the tackle. Warned them towards the end but too late got away with it for 75 mins

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shrewsbury roughyed said:

We’re not going to steamroller and nil everybody. Key personnel changes make a difference. Good to get these boys who aren’t playing regularly into the swing of things. We don’t want to be found wanting and underdone against the top teams. With the knowledge and experience in our squad and coaching staff I reckon lesson learned from today and similar marches/results will be sharply pointed out and learned from.  It will be interesting to see the result of Keighley v Crusaders. Cru could be the dark horses this year- as they were in fact last season. They could well take points off the supposed too teams.

I agree.

Some of the comments on here pre match were just disrespectful. Cornwall had a dig.

Not a great match by any means but a few positives.

I thought PLT was great,as,was Tyrer . Gallacher very promising.

Negatives.

Our right side defence through the centres is a concern.

The music played during the game(just my opinion,others might not agree)

Also the scruffs that think its ok to vape in their seats! Awful! 

• Like 1

• Like 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Definitely sloppy today. Game was just slow right from the off and whilst in individual moments we broke and scored we couldn't really build the momentum like we've done the last two weeks to destroy the opponents.

PLT was superb at full back and was absolutely dynamite. Tyrer was excellent again and deserved his four tries. Gallagher looked decent in the second row until injuries forced him into the centres.  Hope Turner was just a slight injury as he has been awesome this season.

5 minutes ago, shaw llewellyn said:

A word for the referee. We will never agree with all refereeing decisions but I thought she handled the game well, penalised decisively what she saw and most importantly was consistent for both sides for full 80 minutes.

Overall, I thought she had great of control of the game. If she had any nerves, they certainly didn’t show.

30 minutes ago, shaw llewellyn said:

A word for the referee. We will never agree with all refereeing decisions but I thought she handled the game well, penalised decisively what she saw and most importantly was consistent for both sides for full 80 minutes.

Consistent refereeing? Applied the rules to both sides? Good performance? Fans happy with her? Hope the rfl don’t hear that…she’ll be running the line next week if they do!! 😂

• Haha 3

I thought the referee was very good & so far this season the standard of refereeing has been better than last year.

A few observations from yesterday:

PLT has to start at fullback;

Tyrer should now be first choice winger along with Agoro;

Morgan to drop out with O’Keefe in at centre;

Ellis is so important to the team (in place of Astley); &

Whilst we weren’t at our best, I was very impressed with Cornwall - big physical team who were well organised. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LittleboroRoughyed said:

I thought the referee was very good & so far this season the standard of refereeing has been better than last year.

A few observations from yesterday:

PLT has to start at fullback;

Tyrer should now be first choice winger along with Agoro;

Morgan to drop out with O’Keefe in at centre;

Ellis is so important to the team (in place of Astley); &

Whilst we weren’t at our best, I was very impressed with Cornwall - big physical team who were well organised. 

If JT is our for a few weeks and O'Keefe not fit to return, that leaves only Morgan as a recognised centre. 

42 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

We have Jack Johnson as well

Winger or fullback I’d suggest. Wardle is a second rower. I'm not suggesting we don't have people that can cover. Just that we have only one recognised centre fit.

Edited by Roughyed Rats

Not exactly a classic yesterday but a win is a win. A few handling errors cost us a couple more certain tries but the result was never really in doubt and in the end a comfortable win. Oldham never really got out of second gear but I'm pretty sure if needs must then they could have stepped it up if required. In the end its 2 points, another win and now on to the next game. Fair play to Cornwall though, they gave it a good crack and caused us issues certainly in our defensive capabilities.

Also thought the referee was excellent yesterday, alright a couple of dubious decisions that effected both sides but all in all I thought she referred really well and competently. 

Edited by Oldham Valderama
  • Like 3

Can't argue with the comments made about the referee, but if it had been a male referee, I am sure there would have been more comments about how she let Cornwall really slow down the game at the ruck. Sadly, a decent crowd didn't see the Yeds at their best. Yes you will argue Sean give fringe players a run, but surely entertainment is paramount in getting, and keeping, the paying spectators coming back for more.

Like I have said before it could come down to points difference at the end of the season. I don't think Keighley will rest players, they will pile the points up. It will be interesting what side Sean puts out against Newcastle!

The real downer is the injury to JT, he is the star player for me.  Looking at the 10 tries scored by Tyrer, how many did JT make for him?

However, still top of the league.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jroyales said:

Can't argue with the comments made about the referee, but if it had been a male referee, I am sure there would have been more comments about how she let Cornwall really slow down the game at the ruck. Sadly, a decent crowd didn't see the Yeds at their best. Yes you will argue Sean give fringe players a run, but surely entertainment is paramount in getting, and keeping, the paying spectators coming back for more.

Like I have said before it could come down to points difference at the end of the season. I don't think Keighley will rest players, they will pile the points up. It will be interesting what side Sean puts out against Newcastle!

The real downer is the injury to JT, he is the star player for me.  Looking at the 10 tries scored by Tyrer, how many did JT make for him?

However, still top of the league.

• Thanks 1

On 14/04/2024 at 15:45, herbie said:

I agree.

Some of the comments on here pre match were just disrespectful. Cornwall had a dig.

Not a great match by any means but a few positives.

I thought PLT was great,as,was Tyrer . Gallacher very promising.

Negatives.

Our right side defence through the centres is a concern.

The music played during the game(just my opinion,others might not agree)

Also the scruffs that think its ok to vape in their seats! Awful! 

I agree with the majority of your comments but take exception to being called a ‘scruff’.

you have every right to your opinion but sometimes a little more thought should go into the way you express them.

up the Yeds, from your number 1 Scruff👍