Sky Sports Plus

1 minute ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Does this effectively kill Super League plus?

In the UK maybe, elsewhere no. Plus anyone who just wants RL can have SL+

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Does this effectively kill Super League plus?

It doesn't change anything. This is for Sky subscribers. 

In fact, it makes the Sky offer less compelling for those who maybe don't want to stream. Although I'm not sure if this can be accessed by Sky/Virgin boxes. 

Edited by Dave T

Just now, Tommygilf said:

In the UK maybe, elsewhere no. Plus anyone who just wants RL can have SL+

Yeah - I guess SL+ would be the cheaper option of the two.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It doesn't change anything. This is for Sky subscribers. 

In fact, it makes the Sky offer less compelling for those who maybe don't want to stream. Although I'm not sure if this can be accessed by Sky/Virgin boxes. 

I'm on Sky Stream so assuming for me it'll be just an app on my list like Netflix etc but will still interact with the main screen like most of the apps do

• Like 2

From the press release

Sky Sports+ launches in August to give more choice to fans via live streams, app and new channel | Football News | Sky Sports

Once live, customers with a full Sky Sports subscription won't need to do a thing; Sky Sports+ will simply drop into the existing Sky experience, across Sky Glass, Sky Stream, Sky Q, and NOW.

The revamped Sky Sports App will also become the ultimate home of sports streaming on mobile devices with Sky Sports+ streams accessible via event centres in the app.

New personalisation features will help fans follow their favourite teams and competitions more easily. An improved multi-sports scores section will offer fixtures, live scores and an extended view beyond the usual seven-day football calendar. Refreshed design and navigation, including a much-requested dark mode will improve usability.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

This was always the plan.

Yep. In effect, this buries SL coverage further by moving us off the main channels (apart from the two main games per week), but for customers it means little. 

I'm with virgin media, so not 100% sure what happens there, hopefully the app will go on there, but who knows. 

• Like 1

What do they consider to be a 'full sky sports subscription'?

We subscribe to ss action and ss arena only, because those are the channels that broadcast RL.

The only way this would kill Super League Plus would be if it became a standalone package you could subscribe to without needing Sky TV channels.

I'm subscribed to SL+ and not to Sky. That was a decision I took at the start of the year as it was cheaper and I liked the idea of spending my money specifically on RL. Overall I'm happy with how SL+ works as a streaming platform, but I've regretted not having access to the 'main' Sky game on a Thursday and Friday night (and think I was somewhat misled to believe those games would be made available on demand after the fact).

I would probably go for Sky next year, but don't see this new service as a deciding factor either way.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

The only way this would kill Super League Plus would be if it became a standalone package you could subscribe to without needing Sky TV channels.

I'm subscribed to SL+ and not to Sky. That was a decision I took at the start of the year as it was cheaper and I liked the idea of spending my money specifically on RL. Overall I'm happy with how SL+ works as a streaming platform, but I've regretted not having access to the 'main' Sky game on a Thursday and Friday night (and think I was somewhat misled to believe those games would be made available on demand after the fact).

I would probably go for Sky next year, but don't see this new service as a deciding factor either way.

Are the Sky main games not on delay on SL+? 

SuperLeague+ will then broadcast four live games during each round in the opening 15 rounds, with the remaining two fixtures available with a 48 hour delay on demand for annual subscribers

Edited by Dave T

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Are the Sky main games not on delay on SL+? 

SuperLeague+ will then broadcast four live games during each round in the opening 15 rounds, with the remaining two fixtures available with a 48 hour delay on demand for annual subscribers

If they are I have never found them. At this point I'd really like some ###### to point them out as it would help me a lot.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

If they are I have never found them. At this point I'd really like some ###### to point them out as it would help me a lot.

I'm not a subscriber but if I go on the app, all 6 games from the last round are in the 'Games on Demand' section... 

3 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Scroll down to the 'Games on Demand' carousel and they're all there. Sky main games usually appear by Monday evening at the latest. 

Sounds like champ/L1/L2 games are going to be kicking off at 12:30pm on Saturdays from next season? I'm sure that will go down well with supporters... 😂

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The catch-up games aren't available immediately, but they do all show up in time.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Coggo said:

If you're a rugby league fan who supports an EFL club, you've never had it so good!

👋 

(less so because each EFL club is guaranteed a minimum of 20 games, so kick off times are going to be all over the place)

I’d have thought the current Super League setup suited Sky down to the ground in terms of regular content. I know this was the plan all along, but it’ll be a bit weird if there are boxing re-runs or whatever on Arena and Action whilst there are live games ongoing on Plus. 

16 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

(less so because each EFL club is guaranteed a minimum of 20 games, so kick off times are going to be all over the place)

They're deliberately not staggering them though. A large chunk of the time multiple games will be kicking off at the same time.

But will they update scores from other games in-play, that is the question.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

They're deliberately not staggering them though. A large chunk of the time multiple games will be kicking off at the same time.

But will they update scores from other games in-play, that is the question.

They will naturally have more than one at the same time. It’s more from a match-going point of view that these games will take place at any time other than Saturday 3pm. 

18 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

They will naturally have more than one at the same time. It’s more from a match-going point of view that these games will take place at any time other than Saturday 3pm. 

But they will be at set points and fixed well in advance.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Posted (edited)

From The  Guardian online.

Sky Sports plans to broadcast football during the 3pm Saturday slot as it gets set to increase its live sports coverage by 50% from next season.

As Sky insisted it “takes ­seriously” the responsibility of minimising disruption for match-going fans, it announced that every game in the opening weekend of the ­English ­Football League season would be broadcast live, including those scheduled to start at traditional kick-off times.

In a typical EFL weekend from next season Sky will show 10 live matches, with five from the ­Championship, and five from Leagues One and Two combined. Sky will also show ­midweek match rounds in their entirety, with distinct commentary teams for each match. Its expansion in coverage will extend to the ­Premier League from 2025-26, with 100 extra matches added to Sky’s output, ­meaning it will broadcast a minimum of 215 live top-flight games.

re above; seems to me apart from the 5 each from each EFL division shown,  the others will be unaffected and kick off at normal times.

Edited by HawkMan

30 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

But they will be at set points and fixed well in advance.

5 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

From The  Guardian online.

Sky Sports plans to broadcast football during the 3pm Saturday slot as it gets set to increase its live sports coverage by 50% from next season.

As Sky insisted it “takes ­seriously” the responsibility of minimising disruption for match-going fans, it announced that every game in the opening weekend of the ­English ­Football League season would be broadcast live, including those scheduled to start at traditional kick-off times.

In a typical EFL weekend from next season Sky will show 10 live matches, with five from the ­Championship, and five from Leagues One and Two combined. Sky will also show ­midweek match rounds in their entirety, with distinct commentary teams for each match. Its expansion in coverage will extend to the ­Premier League from 2025-26, with 100 extra matches added to Sky’s output, ­meaning it will broadcast a minimum of 215 live top-flight games.

re above; seems to me apart from the 5 each from each EFL division shown,  the others will be unaffected and kick off at normal times.

5 games from each division is a sizeable chunk tbf

I take the ‘notice period’ with a huge pinch of salt given they completely disregarded it just before Christmas when it cost me a fortune when Portsmouth v Bolton was moved to a Monday night, 10 days after their own publicised deadline.

The late changes do seem to have calmed down a bit in Super League in recent years (to keep it on topic and hoping not to tempt fate)

• Like 2