Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

• Please log in to reply
881 replies to this topic

#81 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:52 AM

Littleborough (on the edge of the hills t'other side of Rochdale) is like bleedin' Ice Station Zebra There's four or five inches of the white stuff and our council hasn't gritted a single road. It took 90 mins to get to work today (Salford Quays) - mostly sideways.

Here, it's just ice - girding myself for a lovely drive to Stockport later.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#82 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:54 AM

Here at last. biggrin.gif

Roads a total nightmare with black ice. ph34r.gif

#83 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,766 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE (Hornetto @ Dec 21 2009, 07:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Littleborough (on the edge of the hills t'other side of Rochdale) is like bleedin' Ice Station Zebra There's four or five inches of the white stuff and our council hasn't gritted a single road. It took 90 mins to get to work today (Salford Quays) - mostly sideways.

Had to drive the wife to work this morning because she was not comfortable driving on the roads round here. Some fairly major routes have not been gritted even once since the snow started, one road that sees a lot of bus traffic and is on a decent ratio hill has not been gritted. I thought it was maybe me just not seeing the grit but I had a walk and there's not a single bit of grit in the snow at the side of the road.

I know it's a very rare winter that we'll get disruption like this but this is absolutely pathetic.

The birds round this way are a bunch of cheeky beggars... I had one blackbird chirping away at me because I was a bit late in defrosting and restocking the bird bath with water. Since then, there have been a few fights among the birds for control of the bird bath. At least the cat's happy, he's sitting watching the birds from the spare room window but is just too much of a wuss to go outside in the snow.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#84 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (ckn @ Dec 21 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought it was maybe me just not seeing the grit but I had a walk and there's not a single bit of grit in the snow at the side of the road.

That's true here as well.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#85 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,960 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:12 AM

Has anyone complained to their local authority about lack of gritting? Make your feelings known!

#86 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,766 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (JohnM @ Dec 21 2009, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone complained to their local authority about lack of gritting? Make your feelings known!

Oh believe me, they know dry.gif

I was listening to the local radio while driving as the Christmas staff are on and haven't a clue how to work the RDS Traffic Announcement feature and I wanted to listen for the traffic updates. There was a right ranting session going on from businesses in one decent sized village who had not had one gritter through their village all weekend despite the main road being a B classified road.

Going by the reply from the council, it seems they're guilty of short-termism in thinking that we've not had a bad winter for about 6 years now so there's no need to bother planning for another one.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#87 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (JohnM @ Dec 21 2009, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yes.
- Severus, July 2012

#88 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (Hornetto @ Dec 21 2009, 07:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whitworth was gritted and its only round the corner.

Saw a few flashes of lightning yesterday, which I've never seen in the snow before.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#89 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (gingerjon @ Dec 21 2009, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's true here as well.

I thought you had some, but all your (southern) selfish neigbours nicked it for their own driveways?
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#90 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:02 PM

absolutely bucketing down here in Basingstoke - has been for 2 hours and it's carnage - cars stuck in the car park for over an hour!
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#91 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:18 PM

Had it heavy in Holland on saturday and sunday.....eased off today but more snow expected this evening.
120 cm (5 inches) deep and with a temperature down to -1 and forcast -5 overnight its playing havoc with the transport and the roads.

Im a wee bit worried because our less is due to give birth any time now and we could have trouble getting to the hospital.

I have asked her to try and hold on for a few more days ohmy.gif

#92 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,960 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:19 PM

My mate on Chineham Park in Basingstoke says he can hardly see his car, Crockford Lane is choc a bloc , and the courier has just said the ring road is just as bad. Looks like a night in the office!!! ohmy.gif

Edited by JohnM, 21 December 2009 - 03:20 PM.

#93 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (Griff9of13 @ Dec 21 2009, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought you had some, but all your (southern) selfish neigbours nicked it for their own driveways?

We had a grit bin that the halfwits nicked for their own parking spaces.

But the main roads haven't been gritted at all.
- Severus, July 2012

#94 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (JohnM @ Dec 21 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My mate on Chineham Park in Basingstoke says he can hardly see his car, Crockford Lane is choc a bloc , and the courier has just said the ring road is just as bad. Looks like a night in the office!!! ohmy.gif

Find your way to Hook (Hampshire).

There'll be a warm welcome there.
- Severus, July 2012

#95 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (JohnM @ Dec 21 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly where I am!!!!

Left at 14:30 - back in the office at 15:00 and the car I was behind has made about 40 yds progress!!!

2 pints please love
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#96 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,029 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE (yanto @ Dec 21 2009, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that house made from gingerbread?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#97 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (gingerjon @ Dec 21 2009, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Find your way to Hook (Hampshire).

There'll be a warm welcome there.

VERY warm - my Mrs is at home and doesn't understand the concept of puting a jumper on. mad.gif mad.gif

Posted Image

#98 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Dec 21 2009, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that house made from gingerbread?

laugh.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

#99 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,960 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:37 PM

she sounds FUN!!! smile.gif

....oh, I see what you mean sad.gif

#100 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (JohnM @ Dec 21 2009, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
she sounds FUN!!! smile.gif

....oh, I see what you mean sad.gif

laugh.gif

Excellent!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users