RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Mine's bigger than yours!

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

The derby game is a big part of Rugby League folklore and arguments rage as to which is the biggest and most significant clash of neighbourly titans. In our next issue, Rugby League World will wade right into the middle of the debate. Hold onto your scarves it could get lively!

We'd also like to hear from you...

Which is the biggest derby game in Rugby League and why? Is it all just about attendances or is it something else? What makes a derby game so special? What are your lasting derby day memories? Are they the games you most look forward to seeing all season? We want the truth so don't hold back!

Send your comments to feedback@rugbyleagueworld.net

The sooner you get your thoughts in to us the more chance you have of them making the magazine. If you'd like to have your picture in the magazine alongside your comments feel free to send us a mugshot.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,695 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:07 PM

May not be the biggest as far as crowds go, but in terms of intensity and passion Fev/Cas must be no.1. Trouble is they're a bit few and far between these days. And when Cas get kicked out of SL Fev will take their place so there'll still be no derby games. wink.gif
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#3 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:11 PM

Widnes v Warrington used to be the most deadly rivalry in the sport. It may not have had the crowds of the plazzi scousers v pie eaters derby but for sheer brutality, violence, rivalry and hatred on and off the pitch it was number 1. Wait till Widnes get back into SL next time!

#4 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:17 PM

I wouldnt bother and lock it, we all know that a Derby is played by teams from the same city. All the rest are just pretending. biggrin.gif smiley face added just to please John.

#5 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

Forget about opinions and look at the facts, Saints V Wigan has the biggest combined crowd (home & away fixture) and they attract the biggest TV audience. Add in the fact that between them they have won more trophies than any of the other derby clubs combined, this makes this derby the biggest by a long way !!

#6 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (Saint Toppy @ Jul 8 2010, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Forget about opinions and look at the facts, Saints V Wigan has the biggest combined crowd (home & away fixture) and they attract the biggest TV audience. Add in the fact that between them they have won more trophies than any of the other derby clubs combined, this makes this derby the biggest by a long way !!

But its not a Derby wink.gif

Edited by westhuller, 08 July 2010 - 02:38 PM.

#7 The Bobster

The Bobster
  • Coach
  • 455 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (westhuller @ Jul 8 2010, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldnt bother and lock it, we all know that a Derby is played by teams from the same city. All the rest are just pretending. biggrin.gif smiley face added just to please John.

Bloody Hell! After all these years the media have been misleading Manchester United and Manchester City, isn't after all a derby! biggrin.gif

Posted Image

#8 The Bobster

The Bobster
  • Coach
  • 455 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (Saint Toppy @ Jul 8 2010, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a;so the oldest one, so Iam led to believe.

Posted Image

#9 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,732 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:26 PM

Over the years the biggest event would be Saints-Wigan, as these teams have generally been in the same division and more often near the top of the game. These are vital factors lacking elsewhere I would have thought. I couldn't say which derby has most venemous intensity though.

#10 Errol Stock

Errol Stock
  • Coach
  • 454 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:33 PM

Since Leeds have no viable local opposition to trouble them - it currently leaves only Saints V Wigan as the biggest LOCAL AREA derby - if we are getting technical about what the definition is cool.gif

#11 Wigansnapper89

Wigansnapper89
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:35 PM

Has to be Wigan vs Saints people who think FC vs Kr is bigger, its just not. Biggest crowd in the stadium and at home and i would think by a fer distance
" We have achieved what you can only dream of "

Follow me on Twitter @gaz_wigan

My Flickr site with all my Photography on it, New stuff added all the time

http://www.flickr.co...os/8882103@N05/

#12 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:09 PM

Got to be Saints v Wigan

nothing else comes close in my opinion
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#13 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 8,992 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (westhuller @ Jul 8 2010, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The term comes from Derby (as in Lord Derby) being the main event in the horse racing season. There was no requirement that all the horses come from the same town then or now.

Really, it is just nonsense.

#14 Johnny Rocco

Johnny Rocco
  • Coach
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (westhuller @ Jul 8 2010, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not according to the Oxford English Dictionary it's not.

(derby; also local derby)British a sports match between two rival teams from the same area

#15 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,489 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:59 PM

hunslet -leeds in the 50s they used to get 20k for the pre season lazenby cup match.
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#16 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 11,667 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:14 PM

"Local Derby" Definition=A Rugby League match played in Kingston Upon Hull in the North East of England between two teams, one a group of heroes in black and white, the other a group of mainly Australians in red and white. There is no other Local Derby.

So there you have it.

(Retires to concrete bunker)

Hull-FC-V10-e1380711301940.jpg         HULL NOT VERY PROUD

"You're not City anymore!"

(The chant of opposition fans to Hull Tigers' supporters this season)

#17 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (Wigansnapper89 @ Jul 8 2010, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has to be Wigan vs Saints people who think FC vs Kr is bigger, its just not. Biggest crowd in the stadium and at home and i would think by a fer distance

laugh.gif Yep, they really packed out the DWS this year didn't they? Both teams near or at the top of the table too. rolleyes.gif Maybe the problem was there were too many of them at home. laugh.gif

Edited by deluded pom?, 08 July 2010 - 05:54 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#18 Mortis

Mortis
  • Coach
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:36 PM

I used to really look forward to the Bradford - Halifax match. A much better derby than Bradford - that team to the east.
I'm not mad but I am...

Donkeys forever, forever Donkeys!

#19 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 8,992 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (Johnny Rocco @ Jul 8 2010, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not according to the Oxford English Dictionary it's not.

(derby; also local derby)British a sports match between two rival teams from the same area

I do not know why we bother. This has been explained to them on numerous occasions.

#20 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,123 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

Pie's v's Skints, by far the biggest and best.

over the last few years fc v's kr's have been good games (esp for the dobbins wink.gif )

i have also enjoyed the bulls / whinos for entertainment value.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users