Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Stobart sponsorship deal & truck spotting

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#261 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

Well I'm counting it on mine!! To be fair, I'm not going to count seeing it again when I watched the recording on telly :cool:

Talking of counting, who counted the crowd?
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#262 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

After the days of beer and fags ended (Days when sponsors such as these went to the RFL) the RFL has had agencies find them sponsors, however it is well known within the advertising fraternity that apart from offering low commissions they also have a reputation for going behind the backs of introducers therefore not many agencies will touch them,this whole situation is of their own making.

The marketing department at the RFL is little more than a shambles will the new person who has come from Manchester City change things maybe he will be able to do a great job on the bums on seats front however i do not see much changing with regards to the RFL being able to attract major international sponsors paying decent bucks.

A few posts ago you were writing how ex-pats could not know what was happening with the RFL. Which post do you wish to take back?

You might be right, but I find it more likely you are a fraud.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#263 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,973 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

Point taken however i am going back here a few years and from what i hear from my old contacts not much has changed in fact its worse than ever,that is the last i will say on the subject for now lets wait and see what the SL clubs have to say on the matter over the next few weeks/months.

:laugh: It won't be.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#264 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,344 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

YES IT WILL i am not going to post anything more on this subject until the SL clubs themselves expose the true nature of to what extent the RFL have sold them down the river.

No, it wasn't then. :tongue:

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#265 M j M

M j M
  • Coach
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

Some people seem to think it's easy getting sponsors for Rugby League. It isn't; and it isn't because the RFL are incompetent or because no-one is trying - it's because of the nature of the sport which is still regionalised and still club-centric.

Most of the title sponsors in recent years - Stobart, JJB, Tetleys, Carnegie, even Heinz and Engage have come into the sport as sponsors of one of the clubs themselves before moving up. The clubs still dominate things and the international team keeps failing to give the RFL the chance to break through into completely new markets.

Contrary to what some posters think, it isn't easy being Rugby League.

#266 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

had a text off my bro yesterday he lives just by the olympic village and................wait for it.......................he saw two yes two :biggrin:

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#267 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,833 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

Don't know if they'll be successful but the deal was brought up on the Radio Manchester phone in and they said they'd try and get someone from the RFL on Thursday nights Rugby League Extra, 7-9pm, no doubt available on the web and in podcast format for ex-pats and those living out of the coverage area.

#268 Student Ram

Student Ram
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

Widnes and Warrington on M62 this aft. That's 4 off my list now. Good game, good game.

I agree with the above poster - not easy being RL when trying to pitch to companies.
"Fev - It's life on the edge" LA'M Nov 06
"Ermm, I think it needs an x-ray!"

#269 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,910 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

I've always thought giving the sponsor (or broadcaster) an incentive to push the game by sacrificing some finance was a good idea. And I can see the argument about the trucks not being in the M62 corridor. I travel aproximately 30K a year for work - mainly in the M62 corridor, and I haven't seen one. I've also been up to Newcastle twice since the deal was done, and I haven't seen one. I've also been to visit my daughter in Salisbury twice and haven't seen one. TBH I'm begining to think that they are mythical like unicorns.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#270 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

I've always thought giving the sponsor (or broadcaster) an incentive to push the game by sacrificing some finance was a good idea. And I can see the argument about the trucks not being in the M62 corridor. I travel aproximately 30K a year for work - mainly in the M62 corridor, and I haven't seen one. I've also been up to Newcastle twice since the deal was done, and I haven't seen one. I've also been to visit my daughter in Salisbury twice and haven't seen one. TBH I'm begining to think that they are mythical like unicorns.

I usually travel on the open roads to work but in the last fortnight I have done eight 30 mile journeys on the M62/M61 and I have seen four.
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#271 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

Three for me today. Wigan (again) near Swinton. Hull KR (I think) just coming off the A1 and Huddersfield at Huddersfield. Off to Newcastle tomorrow so hoping for more.

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#272 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

Saw Hull FC (again) heading south on the M61 around 7am.
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#273 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

Talking of counting, who counted the crowd?

The crowd is 'counted' by tickets sold, so that will be the figure given - whether they (as in the case of some season ticket holders) all turned up or not doesn't affect this.

Actually, if we're discussing counting thc crowd, I'd question the 17,300+ that Sky had on their caption for the game the Galpharm. We could only see three stands on TV, but even if the one containing the camera was chokka, there were never anything remotely like 17k there.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#274 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

I've seen about 10 SL branded wagons now, mostly on the M74 or motorways around Glasgow and the central belt. I've seen at least one every lenthy motorway journey I've done since the deal was signed. Obviosuly I have been "lucky" but it may be the case that they are targetting Scotland to some extent?

#275 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

Actually, if we're discussing counting thc crowd, I'd question the 17,300+ that Sky had on their caption for the game the Galpharm. We could only see three stands on TV, but even if the one containing the camera was chokka, there were never anything remotely like 17k there.

Sporting Life have teh Huddersfield attendance as 6928. I assume that SKy simply made a mistake, though last night I was breifly incredibly impressed at the sudden growth in Huddersfield's crowds!

http://www.sportingl...league/results/

#276 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,973 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:27 AM

Widnes again, passing Hartshead Moor services this morning.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#277 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,973 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

I can't help thinking I'll see more Widnes wagons than Widnes wins. :ph34r:

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#278 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

The crowd is 'counted' by tickets sold, so that will be the figure given - whether they (as in the case of some season ticket holders) all turned up or not doesn't affect this.

That's surprised me Bulliac, thank you. Is this the way it's done throughout SL, counting people who aren't actually there?
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#279 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

That's surprised me Bulliac, thank you. Is this the way it's done throughout SL, counting people who aren't actually there?

To the best of my knowledge this is standard practice, not just in SL, but in sport in general; soccer, league, union etc. When I was first told this (by someone who worked, back office, for a league soccer club) I was surprised as well, but it has been confirmed by others (who I believe are in a position to know) in RL.

For what it's worth I'd guess that the difference is usually small enough to be negligible, after all you would expect people who have bought a ticket to be there, though in cases like the Bulls where season tickets are relatively cheap, it is certainly possible that a greater number of supporters may have bought tickets, knowing that they wouldn't be able to attend every game.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#280 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

also if someone has a season ticket and can't make the game chances are a friend will be using it.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users