Women’s WC: Cook Islands 22 v England 16

Copa

Another example of where the BBC stand this morning.

No mention of this game on the sports news on Breakfast TV,yet of course the Union game shows a try of their friendly game v Canada.

It might seem like a minor oversight,but when we are trying to get the message over that we have an acitve womens game it adds up.

39 minutes ago, bamfordsbeans said:

No mention of this game on the sports news on Breakfast TV,yet of course the Union game shows a try of their friendly game v Canada.

It might seem like a minor oversight,but when we are trying to get the message over that we have an acitve womens game it adds up.

And yet I remember one now banned poster on here trying to make out that this pushing of women's sport, in particular women's RU, was just positive discrimination all round and no bias towards RU. Seems like this doesn't apply to Rugby League and women's RL faces the same closed door as the men's game. 

11 minutes ago, Scubby said:

What a terrible result. I can only imagine this is through backing up after 2 games. It is not acceptable though and England are is deep trouble now in the tournament. They whacked PNG who are competing with NZ, strange.

England go through anyway but I really thought they would win. Mind you they were never going to beat NZ in the semi final anyway.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Just now, RayCee said:

I didn't notice that.

You have to pay attention to the logo and not the shorts.  ;-) 

Reminds me of an NRL club survey I once completed. I was asked to identify the major sponsor of the cheerleaders. I could only remember the small sponsor on the back of their shorts. As my wife watched me complete the survey she was quite annoyed with my answer.

1 minute ago, Copa said:

You have to pay attention to the logo and not the shorts.  ;-) 

Reminds me of an NRL club survey I once completed. I was asked to identify the major sponsor of the cheerleaders. I could only remember the small sponsor on the back of their shorts. As my wife watched me complete the survey she was quite annoyed with my answer.

I was wondering "what's that photo there for?"...then I read your comment. Easily done. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

That is a poor result, but perhaps it is a good thing for there to be no cause for the RFL to be complacent about the women's game in England.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

That is a poor result, but perhaps it is a good thing for there to be no cause for the RFL to be complacent about the women's game in England.

Yep I agree with this. If you are planning for a pretty big Women's world cup in 2021 then you have 4 years to build on this. England have seen how professional the Jillaroos set-up has become. It is obvious we can't just fill a team with Featherstone/Bradford/Thatto players and be competitive. The net needs to be cast wider.

It also backs up the cautious comments of many on here at the pressing ahead with the new women's competition, when there aren't enough players for it. The new teams at Wigan, Leeds, Widnes, etc are simply going to take players from the clubs currently running, when we need to be adding players first.

Anyway, congratulations to the Cook Islands, a RL nation I have a soft spot for.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

6 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

It also backs up the cautious comments of many on here at the pressing ahead with the new women's competition, when there aren't enough players for it. The new teams at Wigan, Leeds, Widnes, etc are simply going to take players from the clubs currently running, when we need to be adding players first.

Anyway, congratulations to the Cook Islands, a RL nation I have a soft spot for.

Or there could be an argument that new clubs in places like Hull, Widnes, Wigan and Leeds with extremely professional set-ups will lure some athletic women and teenage girls to take up the game that they may have considered small time.

8 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Or there could be an argument that new clubs in places like Hull, Widnes, Wigan and Leeds with extremely professional set-ups will lure some athletic women and teenage girls to take up the game that they may have considered small time.

It's possible, but would take time for the knock on to be felt. In the meantime what do the community teams who've lost their players do? Most likely fold.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

14 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

It's possible, but would take time for the knock on to be felt. In the meantime what do the community teams who've lost their players do? Most likely fold.

It's a tough one to know what the right direction is. More clubs (and, specifically, clubs more able to offer a professional set-up) should, on the face of it, be a good thing. We're starting from such a small base with women's open age that, presumably, virtually any growth in opportunity should lead to a growth in participation numbers.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

It's a tough one to know what the right direction is. More clubs (and, specifically, clubs more able to offer a professional set-up) should, on the face of it, be a good thing. We're starting from such a small base with women's open age that, presumably, virtually any growth in opportunity should lead to a growth in participation numbers.

And a London team should be an absolute must. Even if this is funded centrally from the RFL and delivered by the Skolars or Broncos. The pool there would be huge to work with and they could very quickly become one of the leading clubs in the UK. This is where you use your Sport England money Nigel! It's not just about the M62.

I would say exactly the same about Cumbria.

2 hours ago, bamfordsbeans said:

It was the very last thing mentioned on the 8.30 5 Live sports news but had gone in the 9am report.    

5 hours ago, Scubby said:

Yep I agree with this. If you are planning for a pretty big Women's world cup in 2021 then you have 4 years to build on this. England have seen how professional the Jillaroos set-up has become. It is obvious we can't just fill a team with Featherstone/Bradford/Thatto players and be competitive. The net needs to be cast wider.

In reality we’ve not got that many players to choose from. The best players are generally with those clubs

4 hours ago, Scubby said:

There used to be clubs in Widnes & Warrington both linked to the pro clubs. Hopefully the new ones will last a bit longer 

The game still needs a strong junior presence to generate the adult players. I still think that’s where the initial focus should have been

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

In reality we’ve not got that many players to choose from. The best players are generally with those clubs

Then you have to create clubs where new players can emerge. Some Sport England pennies used to support a Cumbrian team and at least one in the South would be well spent. Women may see RL as perhaps more attractive of the two games to play if they are given a chance. It is certainly more aerobic than attritional. 

Archived