Bradford to appoint new coach on Tues

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

http://www.bradfordbulls.co.uk/article/50558/head-coach-appointment-update-

Expected to be John Kear. If it is, that can only be good news for Bradford and the sport at large

He seems to have been getting the headlines again.  Seems strange, just 1 year at BV.  Wonder why???

Bradford could have done a lot worse than just keeping Rohan Smith engaged.  

29 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

The players liked Rohan Smith but I didn't think he was that good. We had a team that should have made the playoffs but failed.

I thought he did ok given the turmoil. Toovey was supposed to be better and wasn’t.

I’d have gone for a coach that was going to grow with the club.  If it’s Kear, what’s he going to do?  

I think it's strange if John Kear is coming, though I would welcome him with open arms. 

A couple of weeks ago, Jon Sharp was apparently nailed on for the job. If money was a factor, I'd have thought that John Kear could demand a higher salary.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

11 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I thought he did ok given the turmoil. Toovey was supposed to be better and wasn’t.

I’d have gone for a coach that was going to grow with the club.  If it’s Kear, what’s he going to do?  

They may just need a coach to get them out of League 1 in the short term. With Workington, Keighley, York, Newcastle and Whitehaven in there it is not a cakewalk by any means. 

21 minutes ago, Scubby said:

They may just need a coach to get them out of League 1 in the short term. With Workington, Keighley, York, Newcastle and Whitehaven in there it is not a cakewalk by any means. 

And everyone improved last year especially when playing TWP so Bradford won't seem as large a task as it might have before, the fear factor is gone. Plus the home and away structure changes things up as well. York will be bouncing when Bradford come to town.

But why has he left Wakefield? Is there yet more turmoil surrounding that club?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

The whole new stadium development seems like a cluster f@$# out of a fiction novel. outside looking it has only two plausible scenarios, 1 the mob is involved (not in Italy so thinking this isn't it) 2. the city council and/or club ownership are dumbass hillbillies.

12 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I did see on Twitter this morning a journo (can't remember which one) saying the boxing day game v Leeds could be the last game played at Belle Vue.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Bit surprised personally, that they’ve gone that way and more so he’s decided to leave a SL club seemingly on the up . I don’t know if other candidates fell by the wayside and he’s a bit of a last stop to steady things there . We’ll see . I agree they won’t have the fear factor of the TW for all the other challengers and it will  be a very interesting and competitive league , enhanced by the new system 

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Agreed, but the point I’m trying to make is that the new management chose a wrong option in a coach who could have been part of Bulls resurgence.  It seemed quite clear were going to be up against it plus the 12 point hit.  Toovey came to provide a fire engine service and couldn’t do it.  Now they’ll probably choose Kear with a young understudy.  They had the same option with Smith!

42 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

How could there be any more?

There are many positive reasons he could be job changing for.  More money and a new sharp end coaching challenge being just two of them.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

That is absolutely, totally, completely right.

I don't know of any (remaining) Bradford supporters who expect it to be anything other than chuffing hard work getting out of League 1.  I DO know of plenty who believe the club will only have one chance of doing it, before it goes for good.  So getting the right coach - someone who knows how to get 150% out of his players, and knows backward the competition outside of SL, and has a track record of doing precisely what Bradford need, is surely an absolute essential?

History has shown that Toovey was not that man, as he did not meet any of those criteria. If Kear IS the new man (and it still remains all speculation, albeit the media reports are from sensible and usually-trusted folk) then my own feeling is he would be as good a choice as the club could realistically ever have hopes of or dream of attracting.  Bring in a promising #2 to be groomed as successor as well, and the perennially-battered supporters might just feel the corner has finally been turned?

Just the obvious question of where would the money be coming from?

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I'm sure it will disappoint you but the answer is no. 

Michael Carter said at the fans forum tonight that this had blown in over the last couple of days and that they had a meeting with JK at 4pm this afternoon where they asked him to stay and offered him a further extension on his contract. He apparently has gone away to think about it and will probably give the club an answer.

I suspect it may be more of a case of JK getting that itch to be a head coach again and possibly wanting to scratch it again.

20 minutes ago, Rioman said:

Michael Carter said at the fans forum tonight that this had blown in over the last couple of days and that they had a meeting with JK at 4pm this afternoon where they asked him to stay and offered him a further extension on his contract. He apparently has gone away to think about it and will probably give the club an answer.

I suspect it may be more of a case of JK getting that itch to be a head coach again and possibly wanting to scratch it again.

I can understand that. I think Kear knows his real strengths and Bradford is a lucrative challenge in an environment he knows inside out. I'm not surprised Carter wants him to stay. He has taken the pressure off Chester and allowed him to flourish at Trinity.

23 minutes ago, Rioman said:

Thanks for update. News from your fans forum was eagerly awaited, since Carter is known for being generally candid.

Some interesting deductions from that:

1 - Heptonstall and Bower look to be correct, in that Kear HAS been offered the Bradford gig?

2 - How likely is it that Bradford and Wakefield have done any deal over compensation (if any would be due?), given the timescales and that Wakefield seemingly did not speak to Kear until this afternoon? 

3 - If no deal has been agreed, then unless Kear has a clause permitting him to leave (e.g. if he is offered a head coaching appointment?) or is on short notice, please don't let this become yet another litigatious mess!

4 - If Wakey are able to make him an offer to stay that he cannot refuse, where will that leave Bradford?  Given how fans' expectations have just soared, a press conference has been called for tomorrow, and how "it is understood" that several other candidates have withdrawn?  And that everyone will know that anyone (still in the running...) subsequently appointed was not first choice?

I hope now that this DOES go through, and without any more litigatious issues. If perchance it does not, then Ross and Aaron breaking the story might just have put a lot of nails in the Bulls' coffin?

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

Archived