James Vukmirovic

Uninteresting Trivial Facts

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

thinking about it didn't the ones in the early 80s have a little hammer attached on a string dangling? have I imagined this?

Some trains had a mini all-metal hammer for breaking the windows to escape. No idea how effective they were, though, because they always looked a bit small. Like a toffee hammer.

Edited by Futtocks

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

20 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Some trains had a mini all-metal hammer for breaking the windows to escape. No idea how effective they were, though, because they always looked a bit small. Like a toffee hammer.

there to reassure more than practicality prob

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

Drew Pritchard would buy them. Flog 'em to Yanks at £75 plus postage.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 02/06/2020 at 19:46, Futtocks said:

If you used one, you would have to wrap your hand up before, or slash it to ribbons when the window shattered, safety glass or not.

Edited by Bleep1673

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

For the first time in 35 years I have slept somewhere without a streetlight right outside my living space, the council are replacing the streetlights along the seafront, and didn't have time to finish the one out side my flat, so they left it switched off, oh it was bliss, I got 8 hours sleep for the first time in months.

What a beautiful Moon last night, apparently it is called a Strawberry Moon, because of the pale pink hue. It was a close, really clear view that made me sit on the sea front and watch it play peek-a-boo through the clouds, until I realised it was 0130, and had to go to bed.

Thank you Dara O'Brien & Prof Brian Cox for going on The One Show, and pointing it out, I am looking forward to tonight's showing.

I went to check my PAYG Electric meter last night, I thought I may be running low, but my next UC payment isn't due until Wednesday, so I was expecting to put an emergency £5 on it. When I got to my meter, which is outside in a communal bunker, it read £0.00, so I went back inside and got my payment key, and inserted it, expecting it to say -£5.00. What I had forgotten, was that I must have put £20 on it last week when I got my PIP, and was pleasantly surprised when my meter suddenly read +£20.00. Very happy.

47 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I went to check my PAYG Electric meter last night, I thought I may be running low, but my next UC payment isn't due until Wednesday, so I was expecting to put an emergency £5 on it. When I got to my meter, which is outside in a communal bunker, it read £0.00, so I went back inside and got my payment key, and inserted it, expecting it to say -£5.00. What I had forgotten, was that I must have put £20 on it last week when I got my PIP, and was pleasantly surprised when my meter suddenly read +£20.00. Very happy.

We just had our meters changed. You used to have to buy a top-up card from the landlord or one long-time resident, as they weren't available from shops. I had a few worrying times when both of them were on holiday at the same time.

With the new meters, you can buy vouchers from the corner shop or on-line. Much less stress when you notice your meter readings are getting low.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

We just had our meters changed. You used to have to buy a top-up card from the landlord or one long-time resident, as they weren't available from shops. I had a few worrying times when both of them were on holiday at the same time.

With the new meters, you can buy vouchers from the corner shop or on-line. Much less stress when you notice your meter readings are getting low.

Most non-PAYG meters are now, a) wildly wrong estimates or b) overpriced direct debit, I am quite happy with key meter, I can control how much I spend each month, approx £40 in summer £60 in winter.

I'd been estimated for almost 2 years (bought my flat in July 18) and i'd never bothered to read the meter and nobody had been out. My bills are low so i just never gave it a thought but then during lockdown it jumped up by quite a bit, despite me living in a 2 bed on my own. I went and checked and I was so far under their estimation that I got a £450 refund.

I'll be giving them a reading every month now but had they not been so ridiculous with their estimates, they'd have carried on fleecing me. I guess we're both fools there.

Edited by andyscoot

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Get a smart meter ? 

I'm in a flat so can't get one as the meter isn't in the property apparently. 

1 minute ago, andyscoot said:

I'm in a flat so can't get one as the meter isn't in the property apparently. 

Yup.. there are a few constraints - access is one

Wehrner von Braun who was the rocket scientist behind the NASA programme died today 16.06 in 1977. BBC 4 are showing the last part of 6 of Chasing the Moon tonight, coincidence?

many statues have been locked away around the uk and the statues thread on here has also been locked away

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

On 16/06/2020 at 22:44, Bleep1673 said:

Wehrner von Braun who was the rocket scientist behind the NASA programme died today 16.06 in 1977. BBC 4 are showing the last part of 6 of Chasing the Moon tonight, coincidence?

Rocket scientist and pretty much all round war criminal 

Jack Dempsey was born 125 years ago today . The man idolised by Mike Tyson , unsurprisingly since he was so ferocious and brutal Gene Tunney was convinced he was trying to kill him in the ring 

17 hours ago, DavidM said:

I don't agree that he was a war criminal, anymore than Luftwaffe bomber pilots were. He/They targeted civilian populations much as the same as Bomber Harris did in Germany, was he prosecuted for his war crimes? Harris killed more than von Braun did.

Edited by Bleep1673

17 hours ago, DavidM said:

Describe a war criminal. Von Braun was a scientist who had a secret, rocket propulsion, he was not complicit in any of the Nazi extermination progammes, neither was he aware of them, von Braun surrendered to the US forces, and surrendered his rocket technological ideas as soon as he was captured, he didn't try and make a run for it, like many Nazi's, or hide in a bunker, he had an idea, and was willing to share it with a free world. USA jumped at the chance. Soviet Union got the papers first though, that is why Gagarin was first man into space, and Sputnik was the first man made satellite.

7 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Describe a war criminal. Von Braun was a scientist who had a secret, rocket propulsion, he was not complicit in any of the Nazi extermination progammes, neither was he aware of them, von Braun surrendered to the US forces, and surrendered his rocket technological ideas as soon as he was captured, he didn't try and make a run for it, like many Nazi's, or hide in a bunker, he had an idea, and was willing to share it with a free world. USA jumped at the chance. Soviet Union got the papers first though, that is why Gagarin was first man into space, and Sputnik was the first man made satellite.

Really ? Up to 20,000 people - slave labour - died making those weapons from a concentration camp he  visited up to 15 times

Edited by DavidM

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Really ? Up to 20,000 people - slave labour - died making those weapons from a concentration camp he  visited up to 15 times

and how many of those would've died in the labour camps?

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

and how many of those would've died in the labour camps?

I’ve no idea but that’s not much of a defence is it ? As time went on late in the war he was so far in he couldn’t do anything , but he made his choices to get that far . He was so obsessed with his work he just carried on regardless . He was just to valuable and of too much  use to stand trial 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I am not putting him up as a hero, but he wasn't a nasty Nazi, otherwise why would the USA/NASA employ him? Unless they are complicit in Nazi exploitation

2 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I am not putting him up as a hero, but he wasn't a nasty Nazi, otherwise why would the USA/NASA employ him? Unless they are complicit in Nazi exploitation

Ah, now I see the foil in my argument, the USA has always been anti-semetic, anti-black, anti-hispanic. sorry