Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

it is a good foot deep here in snowy wigan been coming down since 5pm and still heavy, first friday night i have stayed in for 25 years i must be getting soft.

One BBC presenter questioned a guy from the Highways Agency this morning as to how a bit of snow closed the M6 at Wigan. Also, a BBC team had to be put up in a house overnight after being trapped in snow....and they keep telling us not to go out unless necessary.

One BBC presenter questioned a guy from the Highways Agency this morning as to how a bit of snow closed the M6 at Wigan. Also, a BBC team had to be put up in a house overnight after being trapped in snow....and they keep telling us not to go out unless necessary.

I went down into Hebden Bridge early this morning to take some photos. We'd had about 4 inches up in the village, but it was fairly clear on the roads down in the valley bottom. The only thing that caused me any issues was having to find an alternate route home because a gritter was stuck halfway up the hill on a bit of road where you can't get past. :lol:

Edited by gazza77

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

The problem on the M6 was the fact that it put down a foot of snow in an hour and lorries were losing traction, on the hills especially.

Struggled gettiing off our estate this morning and the main roads were still dodgy, even where the gritters had been.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

The problem on the M6 was the fact that it put down a foot of snow in an hour and lorries were losing traction, on the hills especially.

Heard an interview on the BBC this morning from a guy who said that trapped motorists on the M6 near Wigan were having snowball fights. I guess that would be one story they don't pass on to their children!

Heard an interview on the BBC this morning from a guy who said that trapped motorists on the M6 near Wigan were having snowball fights. I guess that would be one story they don't pass on to their children!

Just shows, we are all children deep down.

I went down into Hebden Bridge early this morning to take some photos. We'd had about 4 inches up in the village, but it was fairly clear on the roads down in the valley bottom. The only thing that caused me any issues was having to find an alternate route home because a gritter was stuck halfway up the hill on a bit of road where you can't get past. :lol:

A few abandoned vehicles about in the Calder Valley this am but the thaw has started.

One winter not long ago witnessed a gritter in Oldham end up on its side!

Edited by Saint Billinge

Struggled gettiing off our estate this morning and the main roads were still dodgy, even where the gritters had been.

The presenter questioning a 'bit' of snow was the one left stranded. :D:rolleyes:

The presenter questioning a 'bit' of snow was the one left stranded. :D:rolleyes:

Yes. It's a complete myth that other countries just carry on as normal. I've been in America when there's been gridlock and airport chaos in places like Detriot and Minneapolis when the snow comes down quickly.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

One winter not long ago witnessed a gritter in Oldham end up on its side!

I've seen em stuck a few times round here, steep hills and narrow roads isn't really condusive to vehicles that size. Tractors are often used up on the hillside roads and tracks, but this wasn't that far out of the town centre. I'm sure he'd have got it shifted fairly quickly, but speaking to the driver, I don't think he was being helped by the fact he was loosing compression on the mechanism to operate the plough.

It has melted fairly quickly today, but it's still well over a foot deep in places. I can foresee issues later on if it does get really wet and consequently melts quickly, as the ground has never dried out from the summer flooding, so it will all head down the valley pretty quickly.

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

The problem gritters have is nobody has gritted in front of them.

They interviewed a gritter driver on TV the other day and he told a tale of an impatient driver behind him seeing his chance and overtook the gritter at speed.

Moments later he saw red lights, white lights, red lights, white lights, red lights, white lights as the car spun out of control on the ungritted road ahead.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

The problem gritters have is nobody has gritted in front of them.

They interviewed a gritter driver on TV the other day and he told a tale of an impatient driver behind him seeing his chance and overtook the gritter at speed.

Moments later he saw red lights, white lights, red lights, white lights, red lights, white lights as the car spun out of control on the ungritted road ahead.

And how many times will that have happened? :lol:

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb

Yes. It's a complete myth that other countries just carry on as normal. I've been in America when there's been gridlock and airport chaos in places like Detriot and Minneapolis when the snow comes down quickly.

just been to Belgium, they had a lot of snow and no hint of chaos or problems.

I was there about 8 years ago as well, it put down about eighteen inches in the day and next morning everything was running as normal. I asked did they get a lot of snow in Brugge so they were used to it, the reply was that it was the first snow they had seen there for 11 years.

Last weekend they had gritters continually cruising, and I mean continually, they also had tractors with gritting pods fitted behind helping out.

They seem to be committed to keeping everything moving, especially the economy.

In this country we only ever see costs and never see benefits.

Places carry on as normal when they get what's normal for them.

Odd that.

Edited by gingerjon

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The one way I hate to see snow go is by being washed away by torrential rain. It's smashing it down in Sintellins just now. Floods galore by tomorrow I'd say.

I consider myself very fortunate living in Billinge, especially at the top end as we don't have widespread flooding, that apart from some minor problems on the road to Wigan. It must be devastating suffering year-on-year.

About a foot or so here in Matlock.

Have tickets to go out tonight in Nottingham so will have to get digging this afternoon.

Dug myself out of the drive and the road was clear by 15.30.

Driving through inches of water on the way though so expect some places to be flooded. Like St Billinge I'm glad we live well up the hillside away from the Derwent even if the road down can be a pain in winter at times.

• 2 weeks later...