The TV Thread

Sad to see Ripper Street getting pulled because of poor ratings as it was up against I'm a Celebrity and sad to see the majority of the brotish public would want to watch reality dross then some proper scripted drama.

Ripper Street was voted best show of 2013 in a poll for the Radio Times, it even finished ahead of Dr Who.  I'm sure I read somewhere that LoveFilm were considering buying the rights to make more episodes if the BBC pulled out.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

Anyone else see My Son The Fanatic on BBC4 last night?

Only caught part of it and will be watching it fully next time its on.

Very interesting film in todays context. Bearing in mind it was out 2 years before East is Easy, its supposed to be a Comedy but in todays world i read it as a part Comedy and part people trying to warn wider society what could happen in future (and has in a lot of areas).

Ripper Street was voted best show of 2013 in a poll for the Radio Times, it even finished ahead of Dr Who.  I'm sure I read somewhere that LoveFilm were considering buying the rights to make more episodes if the BBC pulled out.

I right so there is hope then.

I'm drawn to the Sara Martins show on Tuesday night (I believe they use some other, entirely superfluous, title).

If you are talking about that programme with the Detective in a made up French West Indies .

By gosh, golly, and mercy me yes.

I thoroughly enjoy the mid summer plot guff.  But (and I am very shallow) what a beautiful actress.  I sit here and smile for an hour a week.

Entertaining piece by Grace Dent in The Independent today about TV viewing habits:

Stand with me, people of Britain. Say it loud and proud - ‘I watch four hours of rubbish TV a day and I am not ashamed!’

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/grace-dent-stand-with-me-people-of-britain-say-it-loud-and-proud--i-watch-four-hours-of-rubbish-tv-a-day-and-i-am-not-ashamed-9134478.html

Episode 2 of the Brian Pern thing - not as good as ep.1, but worth sticking with. And Nigel Havers swearing like a very posh docker! :O

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

From the trailers, I feared the worst for House of Fools (Vic n Bob).  Have to say I've enjoyed every episode!  Daft and silly.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I can't watch most British tv, apart from documentaries.

I didn't reckon I'd stay with it, but I'm still watching The Following. The second season seems to have more to it.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

"However the second series averaged 4.8 million viewers across the eight episodes, struggling to compete against ITV's I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! which attracted a series average of 11.1 million viewers."

How on earth is that load of tripe more attractive to so many more people? The mind boggles. :unsure:

Edited by Griff9of13

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

TV's a strange landscape at the moment and TV drama is always going to suffer because the way that is consumed is evolving. Box set culture of people saving up a few episodes to watch, the ease of iplayer and sky + mean there isn’t a need to watch drama as it goes out “live”. If you compare that to something like “I’m a Celeb” – nobody saves a week’s worth of those to watch in one go, it’s instant but disposable. You may turn your nose up at reality shows, but it’s not either or. I’d wager plenty watched I’m a Celeb and watched Ripper Street on iplayer later.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

What other countries think of British TV.

"Call the Midwife is big in Latvia, Mrs Brown's Boys is a ratings winner in New Zealand, Heartbeat is still massive in Finland and Sherlock fever has spread around the globe."

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Started watching House of Cards on Netflix, it's great to watch an American TV show with no ad breaks and being able to choose wether or not to watch the next episode and not having to wait a week.

Been watching Line of Duty and having a 7 day gap after each cliff hanger is not great.

TV's a strange landscape at the moment and TV drama is always going to suffer because the way that is consumed is evolving. Box set culture of people saving up a few episodes to watch, the ease of iplayer and sky + mean there isn’t a need to watch drama as it goes out “live”. If you compare that to something like “I’m a Celeb” – nobody saves a week’s worth of those to watch in one go, it’s instant but disposable. You may turn your nose up at reality shows, but it’s not either or. I’d wager plenty watched I’m a Celeb and watched Ripper Street on iplayer later.

Agree.

Telly snobbery is as bad (and pointless) as music snobbery IMO.

From the trailers, I feared the worst for House of Fools (Vic n Bob).  Have to say I've enjoyed every episode!  Daft and silly.

I missed the dose of Tuesday night daftness this week. I really hope they do another series.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I quite enjoy Call the Midwife.

There I said it.

Pull yourself together man. You need to watch an episode of Deadliest Catch sharpish.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I quite enjoy Call the Midwife.

There I said it.

Same here, must watch programme in our house.

I am fascinated by the fact that the era in which it's set is just a year or two before I was born. I don't think of myself as particularly old, but to me the world portrayed back then has changed beyond recognition.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Julia Bradbury has quit Countryfile.

Given the hoohah about ageism faced by the BBC when she was first appointed to replace Miriam O'Reilly on the programme, it will be interesting to see who gets the gig.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police