The TV Thread

Quite enjoyed Coxy's Science of Dr Who last night.

Very enjoyable. As I posted elsewhere, the new series of the excellent programme 'The Infinite Monkey Cage', co-hosted by Dr Brian Cox, starts this afternoon on Radio 4.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else been watching Crackanory (like Jackanory, only for adults) on Dave? I'm really enjoying it, think it's because I was a Jackanory fan as a kid.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Has anyone else been watching Crackanory (like Jackanory, only for adults) on Dave? I'm really enjoying it, think it's because I was a Jackanory fan as a kid.

I've seen the occasional episode, but I keep missing it. Mind you, it's on Dave, so I'm sure it'll be repeated soon.

The ones I've seen have been fun, and I wasn't a great fan of Jackanory as a kid.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Anybody else watch Gogglebox? I think it's great.

Yes! Probably the funniest show on tv at the moment. Not a fan of them shoe-horning films in the last couple of episodes which suggests they may have gone on a week or two too long this series.

What is good is it's such a simple idea that shouldn't work (in fact it sounds like it was pitched by Alan Partridge), but it really does. Interesting window on the mood of verious sections of British society at any one time, even if you don't always agree.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

I don't have a tv, is this a crime?

Doesn't seem to stop you complaining about TV programmes, though.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Total car-crash television. A second series was not commissioned. Rugby League-related stuff starts about 58-59 minutes in.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

to be fair - there are tvs in our house but I very rarely watch, my mrs made me sit through the last episode of ripper street last night, the overacting was almost un bearable, why do the blokes need to talk in such low gruff clichés pirate voices so they are almost inaudible? (suppose they have practiced it at lot at luvvie overacting school)  as for the finale boxing match, well it made Apollo creed v rocky look realistic! then followed by the well over due for the axe buzzcocks! who told noel fielding he was funny? absolute garbage the lot of it!

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

to be fair - there are tvs in our house but I very rarely watch, my mrs made me sit through the last episode of ripper street last night, the overacting was almost un bearable, why do the blokes need to talk in such low gruff clichés pirate voices so they are almost inaudible? (suppose they have practiced it at lot at luvvie overacting school)  as for the finale boxing match, well it made Apollo creed v rocky look realistic! then followed by the well over due for the axe buzzcocks! who told noel fielding he was funny? absolute garbage the lot of it!

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

There must be something wrong with the speakers on my telly.

P&O Ferries won the workplace choir final last night when one of the the other two finalists ... Citi Bank ... sounded 50% better than them.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

why do the blokes need to talk in such low gruff clichés pirate voices so they are almost inaudible?

That's a good shout, Ray Winstone's fallen into that category now. If you see him on work when he was younger, eg ####, Fox, Quadrophenia and Auf Weidersehen pet he has a squeaky, almost soprano voice. You hear him nowadays it's like he's had 600 Regal and a gallon of gravel.

Anybody else watching Christmas University Challenge?

Overall, these captains of industry and leaders of society are pretty useless, even in a dumbed down version of the programme.

It's the one version of the show where I feel intelligent as I can often answer the questions, especially the maths ones, faster than everyone else.  Too often in the normal one, I sit going "nope, don't know that one either"...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

We finally watched the last two episodes of Ripper Street tonight.  Absolutely gutted it was cancelled by the Beeb as it's the most enjoyable programme I've seen from them in many a year.  The last episode alone was hugely gripping.  I'd hate to think what they think is more entertaining than that, maybe some re-runs of things they've re-run 20 times since the 1970s?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

We finally watched the last two episodes of Ripper Street tonight.  Absolutely gutted it was cancelled by the Beeb as it's the most enjoyable programme I've seen from them in many a year.  The last episode alone was hugely gripping.  I'd hate to think what they think is more entertaining than that, maybe some re-runs of things they've re-run 20 times since the 1970s?

It might be great, but if no one watches....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Our plans for a quiet Christmas include trying to catch up on the following shows:

American Horror Story - Coven

Witches of East End (the wife got that out me as a compromise for the next one)

Continuum (with the lovely Rachel Nichols)

Modern Family (with the lovely Sophia Vergara)

Elementary (with the lovely Lucy Liu)

Grimm

We'll probably catch up on one or two then wonder where the two weeks have gone!