The TV Thread

On 07/03/2021 at 12:29, The Hallucinating Goose said:

As I'm sure you understand, I was merely pointing out that a quiz show had accepted an incorrect answer and that as a result I found the quality of said quiz poor. Similarly, if they had a question like, 'UK cities with the letter V or C in them' I would like to think they would accept Brighton and Hove and City of London say. Just because we almost always say, simply Brighton or London does not make them the official names of the places. 

But hey, we'll just ignore facts and knowledge in favour of general ignorance.....

Don't get me started on quizzes accepting wrong answers...

Pub quiz so not TV but it still annoys me.

Which was the first Ghost to visit Scrooge?

(quick whispering amongst the members of "A very poor Spice Girls Tribute Band")
We write down "Jacob Marley"

We were the only team to get that answer, or as I like to call it the right answer.
The answer the quizmaster was looking for was "The Ghost of Christmas Past", and we should have known he meant which of the three ghosts on Christmas Eve.

In the next quiz the same quizmaster asked "What was the name of the home of the Norse gods?"
This being before the days of the Marvel Universe, we put "It's actually Asgard but Barry (Quizmaster) thinks it's Valhalla" to the amusement of the Quizzy Rascals who were checking our paper

Answer Barry wanted was "Valhalla"

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 2

On 06/03/2021 at 18:27, Johnoco said:

Your Honor.

It's really good. Really

I like Brian Cranston and the writing of Peter Moffat and put this series on watch list— yet on IMDB:

“I don't blame the actor playing Adam (the kid), but man is this kid an annoying, unstable, reckless, overly-emotional, scrambled piece of horrible writing.” 

Should I start the series? it’s 10 episodes!

16 minutes ago, glemiln said:

I like Brian Cranston and the writing of Peter Moffat and put this series on watch list— yet on IMDB:

“I don't blame the actor playing Adam (the kid), but man is this kid an annoying, unstable, reckless, overly-emotional, scrambled piece of horrible writing.” 

Should I start the series? it’s 10 episodes!

Watched the first episode and I guess it was pretty good but when it came to the second episode my wife and I decided we didn't wish to watch something so apparently cheerless for the next nine weeks 

am no expert on the workings of "tipping point" but it seems you could answer almost every question right and just end up lining another contestants pockets by the end! what sort of a "quiz" is that?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

It’s not exactly light hearted but it doesn’t set itself out as such. There are few moral dilemmas involved and I think it’s brilliant. You’re free to disagree.

I’m up to episode 6 and loving it, Brian Cranston is a superb actor.

On 22/02/2021 at 17:08, voteronniegibbs said:

Deutschland 89 starts this Friday on More 4. The final  follow up to Deutschland 83 , which was excellent, and Deutschland 86 , which was ok but spread the story a bit too thinly over the episodes. 

Just finished watching 89. Brilliant. 83 still the best but 89 is much better than 86.

Story is still spread a bit thin and is a bit disjointed in parts but nowhere near the extent 86 is. I think this is partly to do with the number of different characters' stories it wants to fit in which can make it a little hard to follow but I will say I think that was partly because I hadn't rewatched the previous series beforehand and so had forgotten who a couple of characters were, for example, it took me ages to realise the CIA agent, Valdez, is the guy who lived next to Walter in the earlier series. Ending was a little predictable though I did still find myself questioning my theories right up until it was confirmed. I thought every main story was concluded well and it has pretty much wrapped it all up nicely though I feel more could have been done to conclude Tischbier's story. Would like to know what happened to him and nothing was done to end Sabine's story either, though she was a minor character really I suppose but does have a big impact on Martin's life in the end. 

Overall, it was very good and the three series put together are just brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. 👏👏👏

1 hour ago, voteronniegibbs said:

Pretty much the conclusion I came to. 89 better than 86, but 83 set the standard. I ended up watching them on 4OD over 2 nights.

Scweppenstette came into his own in the end, and interlinking a bit of real news footage from the time about the banker assasination and Helmut Kohl was very good.

All in all a brilliant series

Yeah I think Walter ended up being my favourite character over the three series, didn't like him much to start with in 83, seemed almost to be a bit of a comedy element but he just got better and better. 

19 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Just finished watching 89. Brilliant. 83 still the best but 89 is much better than 86.

Story is still spread a bit thin and is a bit disjointed in parts but nowhere near the extent 86 is. I think this is partly to do with the number of different characters' stories it wants to fit in which can make it a little hard to follow but I will say I think that was partly because I hadn't rewatched the previous series beforehand and so had forgotten who a couple of characters were, for example, it took me ages to realise the CIA agent, Valdez, is the guy who lived next to Walter in the earlier series. Ending was a little predictable though I did still find myself questioning my theories right up until it was confirmed. I thought every main story was concluded well and it has pretty much wrapped it all up nicely though I feel more could have been done to conclude Tischbier's story. Would like to know what happened to him and nothing was done to end Sabine's story either, though she was a minor character really I suppose but does have a big impact on Martin's life in the end. 

Overall, it was very good and the three series put together are just brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. 👏👏👏

Been thinking about taking the plunge with the Deutschland series. Think you've just sold it to me. 

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

56 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Been thinking about taking the plunge with the Deutschland series. Think you've just sold it to me. 

Happy to help! As I say, Deutschland 83 is a masterpiece in my opinion, one of my all time favourite series, and the other two are very good as well. Enjoy and let me know what you think! 😊

• Like 1

"Ed Venturing" popped up on my YouTube recommendations. Ed Byrne walks up a hill talking with someone. It's a simple premise but I've enjoyed both episodes (so far), Rhod Gilbert in Pembrokeshire and Stuart Marconie in the Lake District. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

a list should be drawn up of all the people responsible for the output of mainstream saturday night tv 

this list should be handed to all hitmen who have been "a bit quiet" over the covid crisis and want to keep their hand in

• Like 2

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

5 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

a list should be drawn up of all the people responsible for the output of mainstream saturday night tv 

this list should be handed to all hitmen who have been "a bit quiet" over the covid crisis and want to keep their hand in

PM me the list, I'll take care of it. 🤫

• Like 2

I watched a programme on history channel last night and the actual programme was on 37 minutes ... 37 minutes in an hour slot . One ad break was nearly 8 minutes .The amount of adverts per hour on these documentary channels is off the scale , and overall im sure we get less programme per hour than we used to , which is a bit of a con . 

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I watched a programme on history channel last night and the actual programme was on 37 minutes ... 37 minutes in an hour slot . One ad break was nearly 8 minutes .The amount of adverts per hour on these documentary channels is off the scale , and overall im sure we get less programme per hour than we used to , which is a bit of a con . 

Channels like Dave and yesterday pee me off when they put old BBC shows on and to fit the adverts in but still get it into a half hour or hour slot, they cut out a big chunk of the original show. 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Was it a British-made programme? The restrictions in the UK are more strict than some other countries.

If you ever watch an episode of 'The Simpsons', you can usually tell where the two ad breaks would be when broadcast in the US, compared to the single break we get in the UK.

But with our government having sold its collective sphincter to the media moguls, I expect British TV will go that way as soon as it is made worth the Prime Minister's while.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Was it a British-made programme? The restrictions in the UK are more strict than some other countries.

If you ever watch an episode of 'The Simpsons', you can usually tell where the two ad breaks would be when broadcast in the US, compared to the single break we get in the UK.

But with our government having sold its collective sphincter to the media moguls, I expect British TV will go that way as soon as it is made worth the Prime Minister's while.

It was something on Roswell so i guess it was american

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Channels like Dave and yesterday pee me off when they put old BBC shows on and to fit the adverts in but still get it into a half hour or hour slot, they cut out a big chunk of the original show. 

Michael portillo on his trains , half hour slot with 7 minutes cut out

Just now, DavidM said:

Michael portillo on his trains , half hour slot with 7 minutes cut out

Result! :kolobok_biggrin:

• Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

True this, you see it with American sitcoms, one I'm thinking of is Frasier, where about 4 times in one episode, there is a bit of music and an obvious transition between scenes, clearly where the adverts were when it was shown in America. Another is The Big Bang Theory where, again about 4 times every episode, a cgi atom appears on the screen spinning round and it cuts to a new scene, same thing. Just two I've thought of off the top of my head. 

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Even itv drama , my old dvds from morse etc are 1 hr 40 but now theyre barely 1 hr 30

You've got your DVD in the wrong gear, you maniac!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Really looking forward to the new comedy fawlty towers on bbc 1 tonight , should be good . They hounded my mam for weeks and weeks during lockdown last year  when she turned 75 to pay her licence with ever more threatening letters , months after telling her not to worry about it when my dad died . Lockdown so there was no one to contact but they still poured letters out . She barely if at all watches the bbc drivel that’s on but they pummelled her into submission 

Edited by DavidM