Jump to content

The TV Thread


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Don't think its like that on Pointless.

That's the way the show is structured - nobody can predict what the panel of 100 people will know or not.

But when a celeb version doesn't finish with a pointless answer, they still give a standard amount to the players' charities. I think it is £1,000.

  • Thanks 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, Moose said:

Have you ever been suspicious that the questions asked on celebrity episodes of quiz shows are easier than normal.

A question on today’s Celebrity Tipping Point

Which large animal can suffer from ‘floppy trunk syndrome’ 🤔

A question from the 'ordinary' version of Tipping Point last week, "Which European city is surrounded by an orbital motorway called the Berliner Ring," Answer "Germany".

Now I haven't been on a televised quiz show, so don't know if your brain melts when it's your turn to answer, but there seems to be a lot of contestants that have little or no general knowledge and 'chance it' on these shows.  Don't know if they are brave or just greedy bu99ers.

 

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Exiled Townie said:

A question from the 'ordinary' version of Tipping Point last week, "Which European city is surrounded by an orbital motorway called the Berliner Ring," Answer "Germany".

Now I haven't been on a televised quiz show, so don't know if your brain melts when it's your turn to answer, but there seems to be a lot of contestants that have little or no general knowledge and 'chance it' on these shows.  Don't know if they are brave or just greedy bu99ers.

 

Or even how they qualify. Surely there has to be some contestant selection criteria. There's quite a process behind University Challenge, you can see from Mastermind what happens when a contestant's concentration is broken, and from Only Connect what a twisted brain is needed to get even one question right. 

 

  • Like 1

I'm interested in that drive, that rush to judgment, that is so prevalent in our society. We all know that pleasurable rush that comes from condemning, and in the short term it's quite a satisfying thing to do, isn't it?

J. K. Rowling

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Or even how they qualify. Surely there has to be some contestant selection criteria. There's quite a process behind University Challenge, you can see from Mastermind what happens when a contestant's concentration is broken, and from Only Connect what a twisted brain is needed to get even one question right. 

 

to qualify for tipping point i think you have to sit on a farm gate with a length of straw in your mouth and wait for a car to come through the village  and the driver to ask you if you want to be on tv.

  • Haha 1

a closed door is no object to FLAT STANLEY 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

we always make sure we catch the first 5 mins of the chase so we can do our customary 

"WHAT?-he's only 48?

"NEVER!"- she says she's only 50!

"CHUFF!"- that bloke in the blue shirt said he was only 41!

etc etc 

a closed door is no object to FLAT STANLEY 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/02/2021 at 07:48, JohnM said:

Or even how they qualify (for quiz shows). Surely there has to be some contestant selection criteria. 

Couple of good ones on yesterday. On Tipping Point the question was " What genre of books did John Le Carre write? Were they about Farming, Spying or Sailing?"

Contestant, "Well I've never heard of him, but  he sounds posh, so I'll guess at Spies."

And on Richard Osman's House of Games, question "Which US state is the Devils Tower in, that featured in Close Encounters of the Third Kind?"

Contestant "Never heard of Devils Tower or that Close Encounters thing... is it a film or a book or something?"

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jasper said:

Couple of good ones on yesterday. On Tipping Point the question was " What genre of books did John Le Carre write? Were they about Farming, Spying or Sailing?"

Contestant, "Well I've never heard of him, but  he sounds posh, so I'll guess at Spies."

And on Richard Osman's House of Games, question "Which US state is the Devils Tower in, that featured in Close Encounters of the Third Kind?"

Contestant "Never heard of Devils Tower or that Close Encounters thing... is it a film or a book or something?"

 

Only Connect had a team last night that had never heard of the film Barbarella

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Only Connect had a team last night that had never heard of the film Barbarella

😲😲😲😲😲😲

I'm interested in that drive, that rush to judgment, that is so prevalent in our society. We all know that pleasurable rush that comes from condemning, and in the short term it's quite a satisfying thing to do, isn't it?

J. K. Rowling

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

Only Connect had a team last night that had never heard of the film Barbarella

they couldn't identify johnny cash on university challege- saddos 

a closed door is no object to FLAT STANLEY 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

My God I wanted to punch that cocky little s**t! Blonde captain with glasses, forgot what uni it was. 

village of the damned university i think

a closed door is no object to FLAT STANLEY 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Something that really bugs me on quiz shows and particularly pointless these days is how they offer extra info on top of the question. Like today on pointless the question was please and thank you in different languages, they gave you the words but then the first initial of the language, very unnecessary, made it far too easy. The question after, children's books set in London, gave a description of the book but then the author and initials of the title, far too easy and somehow, even with all this info, some of the 100 people they ask still can't get the answers. The British public are getting generally thicker. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm watching Indoor Athletics on the iPlayer, and the venue's mascot is a piece of toast!

You don't believe me?

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Watching Lupin on Netflix. Enjoying it so much I spent a whole 99p on Kindle to buy the collection of novels. 

 

I just put that on my watchlist, but haven't started it yet. What are the books like?

My only experience of the Lupin character is an early Hayao Miyazaki anime, which is pretty good fun.

Edited by Futtocks

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Watching Lupin on Netflix. Enjoying it so much I spent a whole 99p on Kindle to buy the collection of novels. 

 

It's tremendous fun, isn't it?

Like if they made Sherlock but had a clue what they were going to do with all the narrative arcs they kept setting up.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, glemiln said:

Is the full Lupin series now available?  I was enjoying the first episodes.

Netflix are promising to email me when 'part two' is available. So I think it's still the first five.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...