Football

Did anybody see the interview with that bloke from Soweto who is at the centre of the deaf subtitles row from Mandela's memorial tribute?

He's clearly some sort of fruitcake and it was just like listening to our friend "Dr" Allam.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

OK, back to football, we have already beat Aresenal (A), and Man City (H), we now face Man U tomorrow, we can do it.

On another point, I won £125 form the bookies on a 5-way accumulator on Wednesday nights C. League games, and got a treble on that nights NHL ;)

By the way, what do you think about the 3-point system in Football?  (Win 3, Draw 1, Lost 0)

This system has been introduced from the 1994 World Cup finals.  (In the qualifiers, win was still 2 points.)

I am strongly opposed to this system, because this is illogical.

Think about this case:

A 2-0 B

A 0-2 B

C 1-1 D

C 1-1 D

A and B got 3 points; C and D got 2 points.  Do you think that this is logical?

Its taken you long enough to complain about it .

It was introduced to discourage defensive play. If you took your head out of your SL bum, you would notice the Championships also have 3 points for a win, as do all the other FIFA associated leagues in the world, including continental & World Qualifying/championships at all levels, even down to U-7's

A win should be worth more than two draws in my book. I agree with the scoring system. It's very easy for a team to put everyone behind the ball and play for a draw, which is very boring, this stops them doing that as it wouldn't make point-scoring sense to. 

Editor, Rugby League World

Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com

Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 925

Its taken you long enough to complain about it .

It was introduced to discourage defensive play. If you took your head out of your SL bum, you would notice the Championships also have 3 points for a win, as do all the other FIFA associated leagues in the world, including continental & World Qualifying/championships at all levels, even down to U-7's

I am not against discouraging defensive tactic.  However, it must be done in a logical way.  The 3-point system is illogical.  Yes, there are too many 0-0 draws.  But there are also 4-4 draws.

Discouraging defensive play should be done in another way--for example, reducing the number of on-pitch players from 11 to 10, more strict judgements on fouls, Futsal-like 2nd PK, larger goals, etc etc.

AVB gets the boot from Spurs.

Seems strange, They aren't doing too badly and surely the club weren't expecting to win the Premiership this season?

'Arry 'Arry 'Arry

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

AVB gets the boot from Spurs.

Seems strange, They aren't doing too badly and surely the club weren't expecting to win the Premiership this season?

On the contrary, I think they really harboured ambitions of taking the crown this season - especially given the fact they've totally re-invested the colossal Bale transfer fee plus a 20 million or so extra. AVB is a bit of a fraud IMHO, and hugely lucky to find himself a candidate for the jobs. What's he ever done in the game apart from win the UEFA Cup with Porto in his first season? Whilst that's an achievement, it's not particularly a massive endorsement of his pedigree/quality. I can guarantee he'll walk into another high profile job though, regardless of his failings. Eventually clubs might realise that, despite the fact he speaks in riddles and is Portugese, he's not Jose Mourinho II. Edited by TheTerminator
r02c.gif

By the way, what do you think about the 3-point system in Football?  (Win 3, Draw 1, Lost 0)

This system has been introduced from the 1994 World Cup finals.  (In the qualifiers, win was still 2 points.)

I am strongly opposed to this system, because this is illogical.

Think about this case:

A 2-0 B

A 0-2 B

C 1-1 D

C 1-1 D

A and B got 3 points; C and D got 2 points.  Do you think that this is logical?

Yes, I do.

And we had 3 points for a win in the 1980s in England. We invented it.

Yes, I do.

Correction: Jimmy Hill invented it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Hill is like Ron Atkinson. Men who were surprisingly astute when young or middle aged but this somehow went badly awry in later life.

I believe he's very ill with dementia now.  He really did have a sharp brain and achieve a helluva lot.

I believe he's very ill with dementia now.  He really did have a sharp brain and achieve a helluva lot.

Much maligned, but a genuine visionary.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Yes, I do.

I do not think so.

The 3-point system means that the value of games are different.

The value of draw games is 2 points; while the value of non-draw games are 3 points.  This is extremely illogical.

If the number of draw games should be reduced and attacking play should be encouraged, that should be done in a logical way.

By the way, the 3-point system is adopted by also Hockey (not Ice Hockey).  I am, of course, opposed to the 3-point system in Hockey.

I do not think so.

The value of draw games is 2 points; while the value of non-draw games are 3 points. This is extremely illogical.

If the number of draw games should be reduced and attacking play should be encouraged, that should be done in a logical way.

That must be the reason football is such a minor sport in the world. Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

I do not think so.

The value of draw games is 2 points; while the value of non-draw games are 3 points.  This is extremely illogical.

By the way, the 3-point system is adopted by also Hockey (not Ice Hockey).  I am, of course, opposed to the 3-point system in Hockey.

Football is not a subset of logic. Who cares whether it is logical or not? It just means better games. There is hardly a league anywhere in the world that hasn't adopted the Jimmy Hill 3 point for a win, 1 point for a draw. It works.

I do not think so.

annoying person,

If it's good enough for the Premiership (Wendyball), then a modifiied version is good enough for the RUGBY LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP, I assume you follow Rugby League?

3 points for a win, 2 points for a draw, 1 point for a defeat less than 12 points.

Ice Hockey has a similar points system.

Do you know more about Field Hockey enough to provide us with the scoring system?

Having a wander down to the KC this lunchtime. A pal has lent me him and his daughter's Hull Tigers season passes so I'm taking the lad with me.

I'll let you know if I manage the full 90 mins without falling asleep.

Hull Targers 0 Man Utd 3 is my prediction.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)