Football

On 07/10/2023 at 09:52, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

Vinnie Jones once got a yellow card after about 5 seconds, in todays climate it would probably have been a red.

Most times it should’ve been a red. He worked on the fact the ref would never send him off so early. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ireland's only chance of qualifying for the Euro championships is to lose their next game against the Netherlands.

The 2 top in each group qualify. Ireland mathematically can't finish in the top two. However, the top 7 Nations Leagues teams that haven't already qualified go into play-offs for the remaining places. The 8th play-off spot goes to Estonia (or non qualified equivalent) in Nations League group D. 

Ireland are currently 9th, but there are 3 teams above them who could qualify at the expense of a team below them. If that happens, they obviously move up the list of non-qualifiers and get the chance to go through.

If Netherlands beat Ireland, they qualify and that helps Ireland. If Netherlands lose to Ireland then Greece potentially go through instead. This would put the Netherlands into the play-offs, and move Ireland down a place. Ireland are above Greece, so it's in their interests for the Netherlands to qualify and Greece to miss out.

• Like 1

On 19/10/2023 at 14:06, JonM said:

Ireland's only chance of qualifying for the Euro championships is to lose their next game against the Netherlands.

The 2 top in each group qualify. Ireland mathematically can't finish in the top two. However, the top 7 Nations Leagues teams that haven't already qualified go into play-offs for the remaining places. The 8th play-off spot goes to Estonia (or non qualified equivalent) in Nations League group D. 

Ireland are currently 9th, but there are 3 teams above them who could qualify at the expense of a team below them. If that happens, they obviously move up the list of non-qualifiers and get the chance to go through.

If Netherlands beat Ireland, they qualify and that helps Ireland. If Netherlands lose to Ireland then Greece potentially go through instead. This would put the Netherlands into the play-offs, and move Ireland down a place. Ireland are above Greece, so it's in their interests for the Netherlands to qualify and Greece to miss out.

So if they lose, they potentially go into a playoff to qualify? Think I got that after reading it a couple of times!

2 hours ago, OnStrike said:

So if they lose, they potentially go into a playoff to qualify? Think I got that after reading it a couple of times!

Yep. And if they win, they can't make it to the playoffs and can't qualify. Top work by UEFA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I know Ralph was involved in the RFU these days but has anyone seen him hanging around Switzerland recently?

It's actually quite simple. To qualify direct you must end in top two of group, no problem there. There's a safety net of playoffs based on Nations League positions,simple so far. Ireland can't qualify direct, so are relying on play offs.

If they win a meaningless to them game against Netherlands,  they let Greece in to 2024,  assuming they don't foul up their games.

So Netherlands will be in play offs, forcing Ireland out. Unusual situation but the idea is to give 3rd tier comp,  the Nations League extra meaning. This is important as the old fashioned friendlies that the Nations League replaced are almost gone,  thus reducing the opportunity for betting syndicates trying to influence games.

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 1

Everton ground out a very decent away win at West Ham today.

There was a significant number of empty seats today which was surprising IMO as the Hammers have been doing well. You're so used to seeing PL games sold out that it was quite strange.

Anyone know the reason? Is the Olympic Park too big for them, or is it a bad fan experience?

26 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

There was a significant number of empty seats today which was surprising IMO as the Hammers have been doing well. You're so used to seeing PL games sold out that it was quite strange.

Anyone know the reason? Is the Olympic Park too big for them, or is it a bad fan experience?

Do they normally sell out the visit of Everton?

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Fair enough, I’m genuinely not sure when it comes to West Ham at that stadium.

Got this recorded on my sky box, watched it later in afternoon as I was busy at 1pm.

Just rechecked it,  full house ,no empty seats I could see. 

Except start of 2nd half, plenty then, fans still getting their pies or whatever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Very good . Now if we get 12 points deducted we’re only 3 behind Sheffield United

19 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

The announced crowd was a sell out - same as other league games - so I'm guessing they must be unused corporate/package/STH tickets. You're right though, on the highlights video they are really noticeable.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

The announced crowd was a sell out - same as other league games - so I'm guessing they must be unused corporate/package/STH tickets. You're right though, on the highlights video they are really noticeable.

Looks pretty full to me, except beginning of 2nd half as fans drift back from vendors or bogs.

Does ETH get an easy ride? Should he take the blame for yesterday's capitulation? Worst ,most gutless display from Utd I've seen for ages.

Edited by HawkMan

Watched the Lionesses tonight - good game, but not a great result. Great through ball for the Belgian goal, and there was I thought an even better through ball that led to another Belgian chance. 

What interests me is that England are the Team GB nominated team to qualify for the Olympics.

I believe that we now need to beat Netherlands by more than 1 goal, and then Scotland, in order for Team GB to qualify.

I think that last game could prove a bit controversial, given that both countries are also part of Team GB. If Scotland win and it stops GB from qualifying, that's a bit weird. But if England win, whatever country misses out will probably say it's a bit of a GB stitch up.

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Anyone following the first round proper of the FA Cup?

Nah.

The teams are all far too large at this stage (seventh round).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)