Football

Bayer Leverkusen win the Bundesliga which is good to see, in the early 2000s they lost the Champions League final, threw the League away and lost the German cup final, opposition fans gave them the nick name "Bayer Neverkusen"

Its advantage Man City in the Premier League after both Liverpool and Arsenal slip up, you can never be too sure but I can't see City slipping up now.

In the Championship nobody seems to want to get promoted. Ipswich, Leeds and Leicester all hitting bad patches at the wrong time, Southampton have now come into contention.

In League 1, Portsmouth need 1 point from their last 3 to earn promotion with Derby and Bolton battling it out for the last automatic spot.

In League 2, Stockport and Wrexham are promoted with Mansfield needing a point to join them.

Finally in the National League, York got a vital win against Woking in front of 7500 fans but still need another win to guarantee safety.

This is Evan Archibald.

Yesterday was his last ever game at home for Bexhill United. He has one more game - away at Horsham in a fortnight.

The 180 (Division 10) strong crowd applauded him off and this is him as he turned to face them before going into the dressing room.

53650317597_e5f3e3a7e9_k.jpg

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I understand the collective angst over this weekend's Premier League results. As Salford Red Devils fan, I can even sympathise with the "Not them again" sentiment - believe me, I am sick of Saints or Wigan hoovering up the trophies.

However, I am also a Man City fan and, as such, I really would like to see them win a unique 4th title on the trot. Next year, I won't care. If Klopp were staying, I'd be happy to see him lift the title as, for many years, he was the only one to rise to City's challenge. Now he is leaving, I would prefer to see Arteta win it as a "City Old Boy".

However, this season is far from over. Liverpool and Arsenal have to focus on their remaining games, win them and hope City slip up. They cannot affect City's results, but they still have control over their own results. Hope. Never lose hope. (Just lose a couple more games this season. 😉)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

1 hour ago, tonyXIII said:

I understand the collective angst over this weekend's Premier League results. As Salford Red Devils fan, I can even sympathise with the "Not them again" sentiment - believe me, I am sick of Saints or Wigan hoovering up the trophies.

However, I am also a Man City fan and, as such, I really would like to see them win a unique 4th title on the trot. Next year, I won't care. If Klopp were staying, I'd be happy to see him lift the title as, for many years, he was the only one to rise to City's challenge. Now he is leaving, I would prefer to see Arteta win it as a "City Old Boy".

However, this season is far from over. Liverpool and Arsenal have to focus on their remaining games, win them and hope City slip up. They cannot affect City's results, but they still have control over their own results. Hope. Never lose hope. (Just lose a couple more games this season. 😉)

To be honest, Liverpool are happy there is some gap between themselves and Spurs right now.

Results have been poor for a month and some shaky performances in that time.

I think if Man City throw it away from here then I would be amazed.

Edit: Whoever wins it will have earned it for sure.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

To be honest, Liverpool are happy there is some gap between themselves and Spurs right now.

Results have been poor for a month and some shaky performances in that time.

I think if Man City throw it away from here then I would be amazed.

Edit: Whoever wins it will have earned it for sure.

Arsenal have a tough next three games Wolves A Chelsea H and Spurs away if they come through that with 3 wins they won’t be far off. As you say Liverpool have found their worse form for the run in. When I look at City I just don’t see where they are dropping points but you never know. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

With the choice split between City, Liverpool and Arsenal, the only positive I can take is that at least Chelsea aren't in the running.

Tiny Ginger did, I think have the biggest gap possible (virtually) between games in terms of position. He was at Arsenal v Villa (so 2nd in Prem) and his previous was Bexhill v Little Common (17th in Division 10).

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

With the choice split between City, Liverpool and Arsenal, the only positive I can take is that at least Chelsea aren't in the running.

Tiny Ginger did, I think have the biggest gap possible (virtually) between games in terms of position. He was at Arsenal v Villa (so 2nd in Prem) and his previous was Bexhill v Little Common (17th in Division 10).

Which game did Tiny Ginger prefer? 

7 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Which game did Tiny Ginger prefer? 

He supports Arsenal so he prefers their games but is happy to come along to the occasional game locally.

The strongest teams on paper were, Arsenal,  City,  Barcelona and Atletico Madrid,  and we get Real Madrid,  Bayern, Dortmund and PSG in semis. That's football for yer !

What chance Liverpool tonight?

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, HawkMan said:

The strongest teams on paper were, Arsenal,  City,  Barcelona and Atletico Madrid,  and we get Real Madrid,  Bayern, Dortmund and PSG in semis. That's football for yer !

What chance Liverpool tonight?

None. If they’d lost the away leg 3-0 and were bringing them back to Anfield you never know. Not this way round though Italian teams know how to kill a game especially at home. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

None. If they’d lost the away leg 3-0 and were bringing them back to Anfield you never know. Not this way round though Italian teams know how to kill a game especially at home. 

klopp exiting like a damp squib - which is a shame after all the early season promise

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

14 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

klopp exiting like a damp squib - which is a shame after all the early season promise

I don’t think anyone expected them to be competing with City and Arsenal this season with the complete change to midfield in the off season. So to have a trophy and still be in the mix is great. A pity not to be taking Klopp to Dublin for the last game of the season for the only trophy he hasn’t won at Liverpool. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I don’t think anyone expected them to be competing with City and Arsenal this season with the complete change to midfield in the off season. So to have a trophy and still be in the mix is great. A pity not to be taking Klopp to Dublin for the last game of the season for the only trophy he hasn’t won at Liverpool. 

he hasn't won the checkatrade trophy 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

Available to him then😂

id rather gaze upon your curves

rather than ipswich town reserves 

swerving the checkatrade with you

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

id rather gaze upon your curves

rather than ipswich town reserves 

swerving the checkatrade with you

I’m flattered. 

So Nottingham Forest outright accusing a referee of being bent (not just being wrong) may not be the biggest soccer story of the day.

15 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I just jumped up in the air and screamed the house down! A toe was offside.... 

I celebrated too (nothing against Man Utd, but what a story it would have been). Correct decision though. He could have been onside by a toe and then the goal would have stood. Those are the margins.

Incredible semi final. Man Utd must have used about five get out of jail cards there. Feel gutted for the Coventry fans.