Dobson agrees Newcastle switch

Hull Kingston Rovers have confirmed that Michael Dobson will leave MS3 Craven Park at the end of the current season to link up with the Newcastle Knights. The Robins’ skipper has signed a one-year deal with the NRL club.

Chairman Neil Hudgell is disappointed to see the 27-year-old go but says he will do so with the best wishes of everyone at Hull Kingston Rovers.

“Michael has always harboured an ambition to go back and play in the NRL again and he goes with our blessing and best wishes.

“He has been a terrific servant to Hull KR and is probably the stand-out player for this club during the Super League era. Michael has also been an inspirational skipper this year and possess a never-say-die attitude which has probably seen him play in some games when he could quite easily have sat it out.

“His move to Newcastle has only happened in the past 24 hours and we are disappointed that the Knights chose to announce the signing before we had officially agreed the release from his contract with ourselves. Michael told me himself last night that he would be leaving and I’m sure that he will continue to be the model professional during the remainder of the year and aim to end his time with Hull KR on a high.”

Click here to view the article

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @leagueexpress and TikTok @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

Or click on the link on the "Hull KR" thread...

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I'm a little confused by this. The knights' own press release acknowledges that Dobson is one of the top halves in Super League, yet he's only good enough to be a back-up player on a one-year contract.

Personally, I think Dobson is better than this and needs to be the fulcrum of whichever team and whichever competition he happens to be playing in.

Super League is bloated and flawed to a certain degree but Monday night proved that when the best play the best it's at least as entertaining as the NRL.

I feel a bit sad that someone of the calibre of Dobson is only regarded as a back-up player down under and this shows a level of antipathy from the Aussies to our comp.

Good luck to Dobbo back home, he has given us 5 years good service and has handled this the correct way with no agent muddying the waters with flannel in the papers. He told the club he would like to go back and give the NRL another crack and has found a team that wants to give him a go. He also gets the chance to play under Wayne Bennett, you can't blame him for going.

As a player he will be missed, but this should give the club the chance to give a young british half the chance to stake a claim for the 7 shirt at our club.

Dobbo may be reserve grade but then Scott Moore is a first team player. Maybe his style better suits SL than the NRL.

From what I have seen Burns looks to be pretty much as good as Green, for whom they got a fee, so maybe HKR have another 7 already lined up? Sandercock must have decent connections there.

Oh and given that it was mentioned on here as an example of SL at its best, on Monday Wigan had a huge number of young British players stepping up to the plate. From our perspective this year has shown that well coached British talent can go a long way given the chance. I hope that HKR go down that route and that the next Dobbo is a Brit.

i keep banging this drum but i am certainly happy that my club is signing british players (ok we have a couple of antipodeans from last season) but since then we have only signed british players like brown, joseph, mellor. marsh, hock and tickle.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

Hock & Tickle sounds like a weird sexual practice! :fie:

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

Absolute classic from Hudgell in today's HDM.

His move to Newcastle has only happened in the past 24 hours and we are disappointed that the Knights chose to announce the signing before we had officially agreed the release from his contract with ourselves.

Neil Hudgell hails 'terrific servant'

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

hes been a good servant to sl -must have been early 20s when he came here-poor guy must be oldest looking young player ever, looked 56 when he 1st came on the scene, deserves some recognition for his talent, good luck in the nrl.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

Absolute classic from Hudgell in today's HDM.

Perhaps Hudgell was hoping Micky Paea could make the announcement about Dobson leaving.

I can appreciates Dobson's desire to crack the NRL but I hope he doesnt have to settle for a backup role because that would be a real waste. Good luck to the kid he has been a real star for Rovers over the last 5 plus years.

Hudgell's comments never fail to amuse me and I am not sure if his 'for the fans' quotes are always well advised!

Hudgell's comments never fail to amuse me and I am not sure if his 'for the fans' quotes are always well advised!

He's great entertainment isn't he?

I imagine him as an RLFans' poster that can't wait to troll on the Hull FC board as soon as Rovers win and Hull don't.

Perhaps he actually is.... :blink:  :huh:

I can appreciates Dobson's desire to crack the NRL but I hope he doesnt have to settle for a backup role because that would be a real waste. Good luck to the kid he has been a real star for Rovers over the last 5 plus years.

Hudge has been on top form recently. I can hardly keep track of whether the toys are in or out of the pram.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.