Whisky

• 1 month later...

On 29/09/2017 at 2:00 PM, Futtocks said:

Highland Park 12 Year Old 'Viking Honour' was discounted by £10 in my local Sainsbury's today.

Of course I bought a bottle!

Saw that in Tesco yesterday and was tempted. What did you think of it?

They also had Talisker Skye for only £25. Almost bought a bottle for my son for Christmas but then noticed there was no indication of its age, which always makes me hesitate before buying.

Anybody tried it?

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

2 hours ago, Ullman said:

They also had Talisker Skye for only £25. Almost bought a bottle for my son for Christmas but then noticed there was no indication of its age, which always makes me hesitate before buying.

Anybody tried it?

Highland Park is always a reliable buy.

As for the Talisker, I don't know, but there are plenty of whisky websites where such things are reviewed by experts and customers.

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Ullman said:

Anybody tried it?

No age is often suspect as it’s usually either young whisky or mixed with young whisky to cut costs. On very rare occasions though it’s a deliberate improvement. 

Talisker Skye is not that nice. Weak and the roughness of young whisky. 

• Thanks 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:15 AM, Bearman said:

Aldi Glen Marnoch Islay at £17 is a cracking buy. I "sipped" half a bottle last night

not tried that, have tried the highland one which was ok, the speyside is the one that won awards and I think aldi have rereleased it prexmas

re talisker Skye, I have a bottle given to me by my boss as a Xmas gift, its very smoked oaky, not really my bag....was a bit miffed as he got me old puteney last year which went down a treat, still gift horse/mouths etc etc....

Sicking to Blackbush and Bushmills 10 year old single malt.  Much prefer Bushmills to any scotch.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

12 hours ago, Trojan said:

Sicking to Blackbush and Bushmills 10 year old single malt.  Much prefer Bushmills to any scotch.

I think they're probably the best value Irish whiskeys at the moment. Bushmills 10 is my go to pub whiskey if I'm not trying something new.

Blackbush has the advantage of being drinkable as a whiskey and also cheap enough that you don't mind others taking some to drown it in coke.

6 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Auchentoshan rarely disappoints.

I've got an Amorik and a 14yo clynelish for christmas. Clynelish has prob taken over as my fav since Scapa's fall from grace.

Would appreciate a review of the Amorik. It keeps calling to me from the airport duty free...

I usually get one when I'm in France. Really worth the effort. A Bretton whisky in the Arran style...... smooth light honey finish... some Spicey fruits on the notes but I didn't find that too prominent.... but that's just me.

Highly recommended.....  I'd put it high up in the under £40/bottle class

2 hours ago, damp squib said:

I think they're probably the best value Irish whiskeys at the moment. Bushmills 10 is my go to pub whiskey if I'm not trying something new.

Blackbush has the advantage of being drinkable as a whiskey and also cheap enough that you don't mind others taking some to drown it in coke.

shame to do that to Blackbush. First time I had it was in Westport. Recommended as Guiness with Bushmills chaser, fatal!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

shame to do that to Blackbush. First time I had it was in Westport. Recommended as Guiness with Bushmills chaser, fatal!

I once got absolutely tanked in the Inverbeg Inn after climbing some munro.... drinking Guinnessand single malt chasers whilst attempting to play bridge...

I was 20.... gormless and irresponsible.... and it was great fun

Just on a whim, bought a bottle of Sainsbury's own label Highland. Always a good standby; a decent single malt at blended price. 

Their Speyside isn't nearly as good.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Trojan said:

shame to do that to Blackbush. 

I don't do it myself but it's a decent compromise between my desire to share the wealth and my knowledge that my brother would pour himself a glass of my 21 year old Redbreast and douse it in ginger ale without a second thought.

3 minutes ago, damp squib said:

I don't do it myself but it's a decent compromise between my desire to share the wealth and my knowledge that my brother would pour himself a glass of my 21 year old Redbreast and douse it in ginger ale without a second thought.

I always have a blend for such occasions that a guest may wish to taken their whisky in such fashion?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, damp squib said:

Kill him! No court would find you guilty of murder. Justifiable homicide at worst!

• Like 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

I always have a blend for such occasions that a guest may wish to taken their whisky in such fashion?

My dad used to try that. Every time our Brian came round, dad would tell me to "hide the good stuff!" 

It never worked because, after they'd demolished the Teachers, my dad would invite Brian to try a drop of "the good stuff" and that was the end of that bottle of Macallan!

Mind you, Brian was just the same. Bloody good company.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Asda have their Islay back in stock, not sure what it is this year, I'll try it and see if I can pick which of the 8 Islay distilleries supplied it.  £18 for a nice Islay is always a good deal and Asda have a reputation for picking good ones.

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

Asda have their Islay back in stock, not sure what it is this year, I'll try it and see if I can pick which of the 8 Islay distilleries supplied it.  £18 for a nice Islay is always a good deal and Asda have a reputation for picking good ones.

Keep us posted as and when you try it.

Ralph Waldo Emerson