Sky Sports - New TV Deal (Merged Threads)

so as we all know the £87m fee was a massively inflated amount due to the SL war.

It was suggested recently in a very good thread well argued that the first big deal was in anticipation of mergers and expansion, it may not have been be an either (the war) or (merger/expansion), but a combination.

I do know on the second SKY negotiation the RFL/SLE expected £Millions more and were appalled at the offer and spoke of going it alone professionally without SKY.

I think the argument that SLE didn't develop itself, just return to it's 1995 form, and suffered TV contract wise is a plausible one.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been a lot of figures quoted from 30-68% increases

Only data I can see is the last deal was £90m for 5 years and this £200m. What exactly is the number? As nothing seems to add up

The widely quoted numbers knocking around are £127m last time, £200m this. I assume that both of these numbers are for all TV rights that the RFL own during the 5 year period.

These are the stats i have. are they correct?

1996-1998 (3 years) £52m (£17.3m a year)

1999-2003 (5 years) £57.8m (£11.56m a year)

2004 to 2008 (5 years) £45m (£9m a year)

2009 to 2011 (3 years) £53m (£17.6m a year)

2012 to 2016 (5 years) £127m (£25m a year)

Announced 2014: 2017 to 2012 (5 years) £200m?? (£40m? a year)

Some people keep comparing the SL deal to RU premier deal. One thing to consider is that for Sky they have been the junior partner in media rights for RU. Whereas Sky are the by far the major media partner to RL. Thus to Sky RL is far more important sport from a broadcasting rights perspective than RU.   Hence whilst they may not fight so hard for keeping the RU avia premiership they would fight damn harder to keep RL.  With regard to premiership football it is more important to Sky and hence they fought (prepared to offer more in other words) much harder, My point is that to Sky keeping SL was far more important than keeping RU club competition given the relative broadcasting importance to the channel.

In additional broadcasting rights inflation has significantly increased with BT sport coming on the scene,  Over the next 8 years other media groups are possible, e.g. some deal that includes Vodaphones massive inflow of money and need to get into tripleplay market in UK.

The RFL would have been in a far stronger position than avia premiership - I don't think this is recognized enough by some and for sure you would expect a better deal... a much much better deal if you played it right and not panic respond,

Some people keep comparing the SL deal to RU premier deal. One thing to consider is that for Sky they have been the junior partner in media rights for RU. Whereas Sky are the by far the major media partner to RL. Thus to Sky RL is far more important sport from a broadcasting rights perspective than RU.   Hence whilst they may not fight so hard for keeping the RU avia premiership they would fight damn harder to keep RL.  With regard to premiership football it is more important to Sky and hence they fought (prepared to offer more in other words) much harder, My point is that to Sky keeping SL was far more important than keeping RU club competition given the relative broadcasting importance to the channel.

In additional broadcasting rights inflation has significantly increased with BT sport coming on the scene,  Over the next 8 years other media groups are possible, e.g. some deal that includes Vodaphones massive inflow of money and need to get into tripleplay market in UK.

The RFL would have been in a far stronger position than avia premiership - I don't think this is recognized enough by some and for sure you would expect a better deal... a much much better deal if you played it right and not panic respond,

Or maybe the English union clubs went looking for a better deal than their last one and go it.

Or maybe the English union clubs went looking for a better deal than their last one and go it.

yep for sure, but my point was how hard did Sky try to keep it and hence what they offered in comparison. My second point being that if RFL did the same as the union clubs then Sky would have been keener to keep SL and may have offered lot more.... unfortunately the market wasn't tested so who knows if it is a great deal or not.... without knowing what has potentially been left or not on a table

an interesting tweet by Ian Ramsdale                                                                                                                           ‏@ianramsdale  · 1h 
In Broncos' fans forum Blake Solly said RFL did speak to BT Sport about TV deal. They were interested, if it had gone to tender #rugbyleague

Sheds a whole new light on the Sky Contract, looks like BT's sniffing worked in our favour.

an interesting tweet by Ian Ramsdale                                                                                                                           ‏@ianramsdale  · 1h 

In Broncos' fans forum Blake Solly said RFL did speak to BT Sport about TV deal. They were interested, if it had gone to tender #rugbyleague

Sheds a whole new light on the Sky Contract, looks like BT's sniffing worked in our favour.

I was saying that when ESPN were around that going to other broadcasters could create competition and up the money from Sky but was howled down.

Another thing to contemplate going forward is to give one broadcaster the majority of games but give a specific time slot to another. The Yanks did that with Monday night football and reaped a huge reward and the networks still competed for the NFL dollar.

The second reading of that - and I wouldn't know which would be right - is that we could have got a better offer by taking Sky's offer to BT and asking them to beat it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The second reading of that - and I wouldn't know which would be right - is that we could have got a better offer by taking Sky's offer to BT and asking them to beat it.

That's how I read it. I guess we'll never know.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

im struggling to make the numbers add up?

this deal is supposed to be worth around £40m a year..

but the £21.6m a year that goes to ESL clubs,the £2.6m a year that goes to champ clubs & the £1.05m a year that goes to champ1 clubs only comes to £25.25m per year

so where is the rest of the £14-15m gone?

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

but the £21.6m a year that goes to ESL clubs,the £2.6m a year that goes to champ clubs & the £1.05m a year that goes to champ1 clubs only comes to £25.25m per year

Don't forget that a share usually goes to the RFL and the challenge cup money won't be included in clubs SL share.

The RFL are putting it away so they can redevelop Odsal into England's home ground.
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

theres still millions missing

Did you read the posts explaining that it's not going to be all in straight cash?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Actually LE confirmed that it was a cash deal. £200m will be paid for the five years.

The issue is that money will be taken during the next three years, the RFL's cut, plus some of the funds will be coming via the 'coaching and development' pot, which I'm not sure if this is included in the £1.825m number.

Archived