Sky Sports - New TV Deal (Merged Threads)

no you wouldent because from your posts you obviously aint the sharpest tool in the box

but if 100 of your ilk did im sure we could find a couple of good ones

To be honest, I highly doubt that.

It's not about turning the current crop of semi pros into pros anyway. It's about getting the next crop through in a full time environment. It has to start somewhere. Many youngsters are discarded at a young age when they may not have peaked in their development. Look at Jamie Peacock. He could have fallen victim to this way of thinking.

More opportunities to stay full time will allow some players who haven't found their straps as early a place to carry on.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That describes how it will be in 2015, though. I was talking about 2017 onwards. As of 2017, all Championship clubs will get £230K per year. Not sure what they'll get if they reach the second tier of 8.

Where's that detailed?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Ive heard nothing other than Koukash for several months, is that not marketing? How many others have received the media exposure he has in recent years?

I think it is. Bit like a market trader at a packed sunday market shouting his wares in such an entertaining fashion shouting so loud and clear everyone listens....

But few buy. He needs to fill his stall with goodies, a couple of antiques and some damaged goods doesn't seem to be attracting the customers.

No I'm telling you the Superleague themselves have decided there's not enough quality players and are dropping to 12 clubs from 14. The RFL themselves have decided several academies are a waste of time.

Don't pin it on me, go tell SLE there's loads of fantastic young players, go tell the RFL academies are churning them out.

I've just checked, and it was definitely you who claimed that SL clubs were not producing adequate replacement players.

I can find no evidence of the RFL stating that poor Jamie Peacock can't retire due to the lack of satisfactory replacements.

It was definitely you.

I've just checked, and it was definitely you who claimed that SL clubs were not producing adequate replacement players.

I can find no evidence of the RFL stating that poor Jamie Peacock can't retire due to the lack of satisfactory replacements.

It was definitely you.

It definitely was and both Leuluai and Peacock have put off retirement plans to play on. Luke Burgess was not deemed up to it, and Brad Singleton has not kicked on, and there's nobody else so second row JJB whose had enough hammer is now sticking his hand up to prop.

At hooker Leeds had McShane and Hood lining up to take the senior spot, but neither were up to it so they had to sign an average antipodean. This is one of the top two clubs investing in young players.

I've lived through the modern era when the British team has had to play Karl Pratt and Richard Horme on the wings, I'm living in a era of no English half backs, with top clubs desperate to find them like Hull who have searched for years and even tried kids from Australia.

The shortage of quality youngsters was highlighted by the massive number of imports from Australia who were mainly condemned as "average Aussies".

Contrast that with your sighting of a "pitchful of fantastic young players??" Not sure Saints have found the lads to replace their great team of the Mid 2000's but they have a few.

Try spotting the fantastic young players coming through the academies at Fartown Salford, HKR etc who have been condemned by the RFL.

Maybe you meant to say it was "fantastic" to see a lot of young English players at Roby's testimonial. Let's agree on that at least?

It definitely was and both Leuluai and Peacock have put off retirement plans to play on. Luke Burgess was not deemed up to it, and Brad Singleton has not kicked on, and there's nobody else so second row JJB whose had enough hammer is now sticking his hand up to prop.

At hooker Leeds had McShane and Hood lining up to take the senior spot, but neither were up to it so they had to sign an average antipodean. This is one of the top two clubs investing in young players.

I've lived through the modern era when the British team has had to play Karl Pratt and Richard Horme on the wings, I'm living in a era of no English half backs, with top clubs desperate to find them like Hull who have searched for years and even tried kids from Australia.

The shortage of quality youngsters was highlighted by the massive number of imports from Australia who were mainly condemned as "average Aussies".

Contrast that with your sighting of a "pitchful of fantastic young players??" Not sure Saints have found the lads to replace their great team of the Mid 2000's but they have a few.

Try spotting the fantastic young players coming through the academies at Fartown Salford, HKR etc who have been condemned by the RFL.

Maybe you meant to say it was "fantastic" to see a lot of young English players at Roby's testimonial. Let's agree on that at least?

No, I'm sorry but I can't agree with that.

You state, "This sort of thing is happening throughout SL", but to be fair, it isn't is it? 

Maybe Saints haven't yet got enough young players to take them back to the top of the game, but in the likes of Lomax, Swift, Walmesley, Percival and Josh Jones, they have a pretty good start.

Wigan's team included the likes of Joe Burgess, Jack Hughes, Dom Manfredi, Ryan Hampshire and George Williams, but don't let that mask the truth, that SL clubs are not producing any good young players.

With regards to the lack of decent half backs, whose fault is it that the two form half backs of last season, Danny Brough & Matty Smith, couldn't get a look in for England?

You need to take a happy pill.

If the figure of £230,000/season for the Championship Clubs from 2017 onwards is accurate,I would have thought that about right and actually approx the figure I posted last week.Incidentally,it is a similar figure to what Championship RU Clubs currently receive i.e. Leeds,Rotherham,London Welsh etc.

I just hope Clubs in both SL and the Championship use the additional money sensibly.I have run out of patience with clubs like Wakefield and Bradford.If they now go into adminstration,I believe they should be relegated and let a better run club take their place.The game does a lot of damage to itself,via these continual mismanagements.

I just now await confirmation that both BBC and Sky are covering the Challenge Cup and I will be a happy man.

This deal really has me stumped by its suddenness. I'm trying to think of different scenarios and I think SL has been assisted in a large degree by BT Sports rapid rise and I can imagine this has caused Sky Sports to panic somewhat and SL provides an excellent sporting content for a company like Sky Sport, something they have taken for granted for too long.

I am of the belief Sky Sports recognised SL as a 1. excellent content filler, and 2. a sport it needed to sign up quickly as to allow it to concentrate on its fight with BT Sport over EPL. I think Sky didn't mess around, realised a contract too good to refuse would also allow SL to have funding to provide top quality sport (something it would struggle with on its current level of funding). Sky Sport could have also said to the RFL, if you don't say yes, we (BSkyB) will announce a non interest in renewing rights. Imagine the consequences?? More importantly, and correct me if I'm wrong, but BT Company has leanings toward RU in terms of sponsorship etc. This may have even persuaded BT Sport to pass on SL. A possible scenario??

I think the 200 million pound deal is excellent for SL & UK RL in general. We may not all like/agree on the funding structure that's been planned but a vibrant SL can potentially attract $$$$ for all levels of the game in other ways.

It's not an even split, this has been known since last year. It all depends on where you finish.Most clubs will get less than 230k I think.A couple will get a lot more

1. £550K

2. £500K

3. £200K

12. £150K

The rest £75K

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

This deal really has me stumped by its suddenness. I'm trying to think of different scenarios and I think SL has been assisted in a large degree by BT Sports rapid rise and I can imagine this has caused Sky Sports to panic somewhat and SL provides an excellent sporting content for a company like Sky Sport, something they have taken for granted for too long.

I am of the belief Sky Sports recognised SL as a 1. excellent content filler, and 2. a sport it needed to sign up quickly as to allow it to concentrate on its fight with BT Sport over EPL. I think Sky didn't mess around, realised a contract too good to refuse would also allow SL to have funding to provide top quality sport (something it would struggle with on its current level of funding). Sky Sport could have also said to the RFL, if you don't say yes, we (BSkyB) will announce a non interest in renewing rights. Imagine the consequences?? More importantly, and correct me if I'm wrong, but BT Company has leanings toward RU in terms of sponsorship etc. This may have even persuaded BT Sport to pass on SL. A possible scenario??

I think the 200 million pound deal is excellent for SL & UK RL in general. We may not all like/agree on the funding structure that's been planned but a vibrant SL can potentially attract $$$$ for all levels of the game in other ways.

It was interesting to read Ian Lenegan's comments in LE this week. He actually believes that it is a bad deal and wished that he had been given more than two hours to decide whether to vote in favour or not. Given that it doesn't kick in until 2017 he reckons that SL could have negotiated a much better deal now for 2014 - 2016, then negotiated for 2017 - 2021.

He has a point, doesn't he?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Bottom line for me though is that no matter how much money we might have got, i have no confidence in the people currently in charge at the RFL to make the most of it and use it effectively. Hope im wrong though. I tend to agree with Ian Lenegan's comments about how it was all done though.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

It was interesting to read Ian Lenegan's comments in LE this week. He actually believes that it is a bad deal and wished that he had been given more than two hours to decide whether to vote in favour or not. Given that it doesn't kick in until 2017 he reckons that SL could have negotiated a much better deal now for 2014 - 2016, then negotiated for 2017 - 2021.

He has a point, doesn't he?

Not sure if SL could have re-negotiated '14-'16 without the extention, it was already under contract

Not sure if SL could have re-negotiated '14-'16 without the extention, it was already under contract

Absolutely. Why would Sky renegotiate the current deal? They know that there is little interest in the Championships from elsewhere so could continue with their 70 games a year for the next three years no problem and then had a look what the rights were expected to be valued at.

1. £550K

2. £500K

3. £200K

12. £150K

The rest £75K

The figures for the end of this coming season are different to those to be used from 2015 onwards as the top 2 prizes are going to the 13th and 14th SL teams i.e. the 2 relegated teams.

The figures for 2015 onwards, again unless they have been altered since the Policy document was circulated to clubs in October, were £650k, £600k, £550k, £500k for the top 4. Then it was £250k for the 5th team and then dropping by about £14k per place down to the 10th place. The 2 promoted clubs from Championship 1 getting the prize-money of the 11th and 12th positions. The relegated teams (11th and 12th) get a one-off payment of £25k plus the Championship 1 payment of £75k.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

The figures for the end of this coming season are different to those to be used from 2015 onwards as the top 2 prizes are going to the 13th and 14th SL teams i.e. the 2 relegated teams.

The figures for 2015 onwards, again unless they have been altered since the Policy document was circulated to clubs in October, were £650k, £600k, £550k, £500k for the top 4. Then it was £250k for the 5th team and then dropping by about £14k per place down to the 10th place. The 2 promoted clubs from Championship 1 getting the prize-money of the 11th and 12th positions. The relegated teams (11th and 12th) get a one-off payment of £25k plus the Championship 1 payment of £75k.

When the policy document was published there was no new deal, so these have indeed been changed. The figures that I quoted are those for 2015, based upon the clubs' positions in 2014. Those relegated from SL will get £788K and £787K respectively.

These are the details published in this week's LE.

Again this is what IL says, and I reckon that he has much more experience than any of us in business. Contracts can always be renegotiated, especially from a position of strength, which is where SL was at the time. What Sky wanted to do was tie up SL from 2017 onwards - this is an ideal position for SL to renegotiate the existing deal as a condition of exclusivity from 2017 onwards.

When the policy document was published there was no new deal, so these have indeed been changed. The figures that I quoted are those for 2015, based upon the clubs' positions in 2014. Those relegated from SL will get £788K and £787K respectively.

These are the details published in this week's LE.

I am talking about the end positions of the 2015 season when there is no automatic relegated SL team. As far as I can see they have not been published anywhere other than in the policy document.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

I am talking about the end positions of the 2015 season when there is no automatic relegated SL team. As far as I can see they have not been published anywhere other than in the policy document.

Agreed but I believe that the policy document will quickly be overcome by events.

The game is now tied up for 8 full seasons bar some bartering around Internationals beyond 2017?

That means we'll have 4 different League structures taking place by 2021 if recent yeras are anythiong to go by. How relevant will the £200m deal be 7 seasons hence? Could we have Leeds, Wigan, London and Catalan in a 4 team League? I feel we've tied up for too long in advance. Broadcasting will change immeasurably in that time period. Lts hope we have the right people at the top in future years.

I have run out of patience with clubs like Wakefield and Bradford.If they now go into adminstration,I believe they should be relegated and let a better run club take their place.

These are on their history and their current crowd sizes big clubs with potential under the new deal and with Newmarket to go places.

Please don't run the "better run club" myth again. Sure Sheffield are a superbly managed club and so are Batley, but they'd have been bigger disasters in SL.

Please don't suggest disasters like Fax and Leigh either??

Nowt against any club but let's be right, making a success of superleague on a poor TV contract has made many clubs struggle badly inc. London, HKR, Cas, Salford.

Are Huddersfield well managed? Are salford well managed? I don't think so either, they just have what Wakey and Bradford never had, a Richy Rich....

Again this is what IL says, and I reckon that he has much more experience than any of us in business. Contracts can always be renegotiated, especially from a position of strength, which is where SL was at the time. What Sky wanted to do was tie up SL from 2017 onwards - this is an ideal position for SL to renegotiate the existing deal as a condition of exclusivity from 2017 onwards.

So if they can be renegotiated at any time, then come the back end of the current deal we may be able to renegotiate again for another bump up.
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Archived