Sky Sports - New TV Deal (Merged Threads)

The money should be centrally held, clubs then can apply to tap into their share to lets say pay a youth coach, or to pay for a new video analysis facility. They should not just be handed a wedge of cash.

I agree with this.

Trouble is that as soon it was implemented, you'd have about 10000 Wigan fans swarming all over internet messageboards to complain about their club being 'held back' by some kind of communist cabal.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neal Coupland on Twitter this morning about the TV deal referring to Sky getting 11 Challenge Cup games per year between 2017 and 2021 asking whether Challenge Cup will no longer be on the BBC.

If the Challenge Cup is due to be withdrawn from BBC coverage then the RFL and Superleague clubs are utterly stupid. 

Internationals from 2018 will be on SKY too... idiots!

Are either of these actually confirmed, as there's nothing in the press releases?  I'd assume it's shared Challenge Cup and Internationals on BBC as currently.

Are either of these actually confirmed, as there's nothing in the press releases?  I'd assume it's shared Challenge Cup and Internationals on BBC as currently.

Well, let's hope so.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am not sure what people were expecting when the deal was announced?! The split in funding between the Championship sides will completely ruin that competition and will likely cause a FT/PT rift in the division. As for the SL clubs, they'll be riding off into the sunset...

This was pointed out many times on the other thread, but people didn't want to hear it. Too busy celebrating the end of licensing, gloating about their supposed wonderful future, and calling everyone else negative.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

The mention of 11 Challenge Cup games per year is the bit that got people wondering (including me). That is a lot of games. 

Sky are not currently showing International games, BBC and Premier have 4N and World Cup rights until 2017.

Sky are not currently showing International games, BBC and Premier have 4N and World Cup rights until 2017.

Sky have been showing international games.  The mid-season game(s) v Exiles for example have been on Sky.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

My comment was based on this year, I don't think the Exiles game is on is it?

Fair enough.

And: who knows?

Are we playing the Celtic Awesome Squad instead?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Fair enough.

Don't be facetious; invented teams have to be named after economic models (cf. Celtic Tigers).

We'll be having mid-season games vs Les Treize Glorieuses or the Bavarian Wirtschaftswunder.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Don't be facetious; invented teams have to be named after economic models (cf. Celtic Tigers).

We'll be having mid-season games vs Les Treize Glorieuses or the Bavarian Wirtschaftswunder.

I believe England will therefore be playing a collective of recently-shafted Championship fans called The Great Depression.

Fair enough.

I wasn't very clear, but my thinking was that no Exiles game has been announced this year, the 4N is on BBC and Premier, same in 2016 with the World Cup in 2017 on those channels. It looks like there is a gap until 2018 - as you say though, who knows?

At Leeds Peacock and Leuluai have threatened to retire for years now. It's hard for them to do so as there are no quality young props to take their places. This sort of thing is happening all through SL as no talented kids are pushing the old men.

I must be watching a different Super League than the one you are watching.

I went to the James Roby Testimonial last week, and in the second half the pitch was full of fantastic young players.

Are you telling me that I didn't really see that?

Dave T 

"Leneghan is playing politics."

I think I saw a quote once that said something like the struggle is " always between those who have power and those who want to wrestle it from them"

There is a power battle happening and I'm not sure who the guys in the white hats are? I do know that the RFL are neither the ultimate villains nor the village idiots people often like to portray them as but beyond this ????? I can't believe that a supposedly astute man ( and he has many champions) like Mr Leneghan voted for something and then decided oooops! So I think there is an end game yet to be played in which business men will have a greater control over bits like the marketing but the history of our sport has been dominated by entrepreneurs becoming very silly when it comes to running clubs let alone  huge sections of the whole sport! I know they should have more say, I know they will have more say but I'm totally in the dark about the outcome. As I've said elsewhere the period of Mo Lindsay ( sky deal apart) was also a time of club self-interest that has a legacy today but just to balance out this post I do think Marwan Koukash has a very good understanding of Marketing that I've not seen since the early days of the Bulls!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Dave T 

"Leneghan is playing politics."

I think I saw a quote once that said something like the struggle is " always between those who have power and those who want to wrestle it from them"

There is a power battle happening and I'm not sure who the guys in the white hats are? I do know that the RFL are neither the ultimate villains nor the village idiots people often like to portray them as but beyond this ????? I can't believe that a supposedly astute man ( and he has many champions) like Mr Leneghan voted for something and then decided oooops! So I think there is an end game yet to be played in which business men will have a greater control over bits like the marketing but the history of our sport has been dominated by entrepreneurs becoming very silly when it comes to running clubs let alone  huge sections of the whole sport! I know they should have more say, I know they will have more say but I'm totally in the dark about the outcome. As I've said elsewhere the period of Mo Lindsay ( sky deal apart) was also a time of club self-interest that has a legacy today but just to balance out this post I do think Marwan Koukash has a very good understanding of Marketing that I've not seen since the early days of the Bulls!

Apart from his shameless marketing of himself, I haven't seen anything yet that would indicate that Dr. Koukash is a Marketing genius.

Isn't it only last week he abandoned his Marketing techniques, and lambasted Salford's "Supporters" for not joining the gang?

"Apart from his shameless marketing of himself, I haven't seen anything yet that would indicate that Dr. Koukash is a Marketing genius."

I have to pick you up on this Simmo, I did not say genious I made the statement "..understanding of ...."  I do not make ludicrous suggestions or I hope , 

illogical arguments. As for your assertion about "shameless marketing of himself" I think that has to do more with your feelings towards the man himself than the reality of the situation. I think his reaction last week maybe shows that despite all the hard work, which is how I measure people, he hadn't quite  realised the level of selling needed for the Red Devils and RL. He may believe in the product but the market place has been taught not to. Bashing Dr Koukash may suit your feelings but it does RL no service at all! please don't take this as a personal attack on you I just disagree with what you said and some of your assumptions about the genuineness of the people involved! 

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

It says on the BBC website that the SL clubs are due to receive £146 million over the 5 years, Having done some maths, I've worked this out to be roughly £29 million a year, and thus around £2.3 million per club. That is a huge increase! Very positive news!

How it will be distributed (Source: League Express / RFL)

"Apart from his shameless marketing of himself, I haven't seen anything yet that would indicate that Dr. Koukash is a Marketing genius."

I have to pick you up on this Simmo, I did not say genious I made the statement "..understanding of ...."  I do not make ludicrous suggestions or I hope , 

illogical arguments. As for your assertion about "shameless marketing of himself" I think that has to do more with your feelings towards the man himself than the reality of the situation. I think his reaction last week maybe shows that despite all the hard work, which is how I measure people, he hadn't quite  realised the level of selling needed for the Red Devils and RL. He may believe in the product but the market place has been taught not to. Bashing Dr Koukash may suit your feelings but it does RL no service at all! please don't take this as a personal attack on you I just disagree with what you said and some of your assumptions about the genuineness of the people involved! 

It has nothing to do with my feelings towards the man at all.

My opinion is that Koukash has done absolutely nothing to show that he knows anything about Marketing. If you have evidence to refute my view, then by all means let's have it, and then I might re-consider.

I must be watching a different Super League than the one you are watching.

I went to the James Roby Testimonial last week, and in the second half the pitch was full of fantastic young players.

Are you telling me that I didn't really see that?

No I'm telling you the Superleague themselves have decided there's not enough quality players and are dropping to 12 clubs from 14. The RFL themselves have decided several academies are a waste of time.

Don't pin it on me, go tell SLE there's loads of fantastic young players, go tell the RFL academies are churning them out.

so if I quit my job and went fully pro I would be a world beater and snapped up by Wakefield? ??

Thought not

How on earth did you get that from what I said?!

Seriously, why do some people choose to make up their own argument instead of actually arguing the points said?

Your words were that training more often does not make you more skilful. That goes against pretty much all concepts of training!

Nowhere have I said "training will make you into a world beater." If you quit your job and trained to become a full time rugby player, are you honestly suggesting you wouldn't be more skilful a rugby player than you were before?

Thought not.

If you train more often (doing the right training obviously) you will improve in many areas, including skill.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

It has nothing to do with my feelings towards the man at all.

My opinion is that Koukash has done absolutely nothing to show that he knows anything about Marketing. If you have evidence to refute my view, then by all means let's have it, and then I might re-consider.

Ive heard nothing other than Koukash for several months, is that not marketing? How many others have received the media exposure he has in recent years?

Archived