When was the last time you watched RL and there was no tries?

Bath v Sale. How kind is the press to rah rah? Why don't they tell it as it is - its just too boring for words !

So when was the last time you watched your team in an RL game and there was no tries from either side.

I think mine was Wigan v Manley, 1987.

What makes RU interesting is the internationals sco v eng maywell be boring - but is nation v nation with a dose of history. We've got it so right on the pitch - just need more leadership off it.

Glad I'm a 13 !

Bath v Sale. How kind is the press to rah rah? Why don't they tell it as it is - its just too boring for words !

So when was the last time you watched your team in an RL game and there was no tries from either side.

I think mine was Wigan v Manley, 1987.

What makes RU interesting is the internationals sco v eng maywell be boring - but is nation v nation with a dose of history. We've got it so right on the pitch - just need more leadership off it.

Glad I'm a 13 !

I was at that game and while it had not tries my recollection is that it was a terrific game to watch, though that view may be influenced by the atmosphere in Central Park that night.

In contrast I find most, though not all, union games boring to watch. The ones with no tries are usually beyond boring, they are unwatchable

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Just at the other end I recall a game at Leigh around 98/99 when the score was something like Leigh 58 , Batley 52 ,

On the union point , I watched the 1 st half of the ' Super ' match this morning between the Blues and the Lions from Auckland , cracking game , miles better than northern hemisphere union , they run and pass

Just at the other end I recall a game at Leigh around 98/99 when the score was something like Leigh 58 , Batley 52 ,

On the union point , I watched the 1 st half of the ' Super ' match this morning between the Blues and the Lions from Auckland , cracking game , miles better than northern hemisphere union , they run and pass

Yep, southern hemisphere rugby is Rugby Union v2.0, they've definitely got the right idea. Mercifully they see scrums & lineouts purely as a means of restarting the game, they'd happily get rid of them altogether if they could. Northern hemisphere RU is a long way behind.

Indeed and then numerous attempts missed late on.

Always wondered about the value of drop goals in league. Makes sense if the scores are tied into the dying embers of the game, but at any other time it feels like you're throwing away the chance to get 6 points. Reminds me of the Wales v Australia world cup semi in 2000 when amazingly we blew them away in the first half, never thought we were going to win but we had them worried...then we started kicking drop goals. All that effort to get down there for 1 point, 3 points and it might be worth it but then I guess you'd see too many of them, like you do in that other sport that is very popular with folk round here.

and thats whats wrong with league too many tries, that magical moment when a try is scored has been diluted by too many tries, in football fans go ecstatic when that winning goal goes in it is the same with union a try is to be treasured.

we need to tighten the game up, less is more, quality over quantity.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

and thats whats wrong with league too many tries, that magical moment when a try is scored has been diluted by too many tries, in football fans go ecstatic when that winning goal goes in it is the same with union a try is to be treasured.

Hmmm I see what you're getting at but...I dunno, if it's try-fest v 1 try a game (not uncommon in 6 nations) I'll have the try-fest please.

That does not necessarily follow. The quality of rugby on show that produces tries is easily superior than that which doesn't. The try is merely the result. One try a game in union is representative of the aspiration of their rugby. And soccer has an awful lot of kick and hope and missing by a country mile..

That does not necessarily follow. The quality of rugby on show that produces tries is easily superior than that which doesn't. The try is merely the result. One try a game in union is representative of the aspiration of their rugby. And soccer has an awful lot of kick and hope and missing by a country mile..

Not a no try game but last week Batley lost 2-6 to Halifax. Not high scoring but an entertaining game.

SIGNATURE

Since watching Cas and RL in general since the early 70's I think I have only seen 2 games without a try scored.

First one was At Odsal in the mid 80's when it finished 2-2 and the CC semi final between Halifax and Hull in the 80's .... Obviously RL was defensive orientated in the 80's!!!!!!

My issue with the reporting of RU games, and the Bath v Sale is a good example, is that they openly say the game was not expansive, then say it was a close game because the score was close. Either way I could never watch a game where the aim is not to lose.

Workington 0 Whitehaven 0. Frankly it was a superb game, trys/points or not.

I was there for that. Brilliant game.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived