Kingstone Press Championship: Dewsbury 28 Leigh 32

andyram

It is a "problem" with having a strong squad though Graham - you can't fit a quart into a pint pot (even if some of our fans do challenge the elasticity of replica shirts at time).

It's a better problem to try to cope with than some other sides with much smaller squads, don't you think?

Got to agree it's a good position to be in when you look at some club's that are struggling because of injuries & not having a big squad. Or by the way I agree with the replica shirts,if you've got figure why not show it off haha!!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dewsbury Rams half back Anthony Thackeray is relishing a tough test against Leigh Centurions, ahead of the unbeaten league leaders’ trip to the Tetley’s Stadium on Sunday.

Read Oliver Roby's extended interview with Anthony Thackeray: http://www.dewsburyrams.co.uk/article/42989/thackeray-cant-wait-for-top

(A great, in-depth and interesting piece, this - so have a read!)

Tom

Interesting read. The team spirit ethos can't be understated, in my view. Our lads at Leigh are a very close bunch, who just don't like losing either, and that's pulled them through a lot of close challenges, so it should be a heck of a game tomorrow.

It's good to see Thackeray doing well at Dewsbury. I've always rated him, from his early days at Castleford, when he helped to tear us to shreds, back in 2007/8. Whilst at Widnes and Halifax, he often seemed a bit a 'one-trick pony' (the good old inside ball) but I suspect that may have been down to the coaching at those clubs! Watching him on loan at York, and then with you guys, last season, his skill was once again evident. (the coaching again?)

Seymour didn't look interested, when Whitehaven were at Leigh, earlier this season, but it's obvious, from his pedigree (123 games in NRL and 28 in SL) that he can play a bit! Should be a fascinating contest between your halves and Ridyard and Brierley tomorrow. Incidentally, you may not notice Ryan as much - he's developing into a very creative half back and has taken a lot of the load off Ridyard, in that department. So, I guess it's all down to which forwards can create the opportunities for their backs. Like I say, a fascinating contest in prospect. 

Interesting read. The team spirit ethos can't be understated, in my view. Our lads at Leigh are a very close bunch, who just don't like losing either, and that's pulled them through a lot of close challenges, so it should be a heck of a game tomorrow.

It's good to see Thackeray doing well at Dewsbury. I've always rated him, from his early days at Castleford, when he helped to tear us to shreds, back in 2007/8. Whilst at Widnes and Halifax, he often seemed a bit a 'one-trick pony' (the good old inside ball) but I suspect that may have been down to the coaching at those clubs! Watching him on loan at York, and then with you guys, last season, his skill was once again evident. (the coaching again?)

Seymour didn't look interested, when Whitehaven were at Leigh, earlier this season, but it's obvious, from his pedigree (123 games in NRL and 28 in SL) that he can play a bit! Should be a fascinating contest between your halves and Ridyard and Brierley tomorrow. Incidentally, you may not notice Ryan as much - he's developing into a very creative half back and has taken a lot of the load off Ridyard, in that department. So, I guess it's all down to which forwards can create the opportunities for their backs. Like I say, a fascinating contest in prospect.

Can't wait! Appetite well and truly whet...

Tom

As long as we give our all, I will be (nearly) happy should we lose. If we are to stop their onward March, we must ensure that we cover the ball when making the tackle and not allow them to play the ball quickly. My real worry is that they get the ball out wide and our wingers cannot defend.

I do hope Leigh play the game (as we know they can) and not resort to underhand tactics (which they do regularly) because they have no need with the quality of rugby they play.

Dewsbury 12 - 36 Leigh

FTS: Morton

MoM: Luke Adamson

At: 1546

Legs, Dews, Legs.

We have been improving game on game which we needed to, There has been plenty for GM to fix over the 1st part of the season which is starting to show. The confidence appears to be growing. A good solid performance from the guys today and I will be happy. I would love the Rams to bring to an end the winning sequence of the Leighyers. 

Dewsbury 14 - 28 Leigh

FTS: Seymour

MoM: Beckett

Att: 1695 Despite the Tour de Gods Own Country & all them people with Push Irons today.

UTR

As long as we give our all, I will be (nearly) happy should we lose. If we are to stop their onward March, we must ensure that we cover the ball when making the tackle and not allow them to play the ball quickly. My real worry is that they get the ball out wide and our wingers cannot defend.

I do hope Leigh play the game (as we know they can) and not resort to underhand tactics (which they do regularly) because they have no need with the quality of rugby they play.

Dewsbury 12 - 36 Leigh

FTS: Morton

MoM: Luke Adamson

At: 1546

The problem being you will start with a gameplan to slow us down and force a short ten, at this point games get niggly

Let's hope the ref keeps the teams apart and allows a fast game to develop with RL being the winner

The problem being you will start with a gameplan to slow us down and force a short ten, at this point games get niggly

Let's hope the ref keeps the teams apart and allows a fast game to develop with RL being the winner

Nice. All Leigh games appear to end up with at least two or three players visiting the rfl to have their hands slapped. Maybe every team Leigh play start to get niggly! It's one theory but there are others

As much as I would like to see us win its difficult to see past a Leigh. Ft will make a difference in the end. Leigh by 12.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

Thought we were fantastic today, a great team effort.

Plenty of passion, endeavour, skill and great togetherness. Grant has his best game for us, both Adamson's quality, Seymour making a difference and forwards were brilliant!

They are a good side, but lots of their fans sat near us, we're saying they won't have many tougher games this season. Rowley and coaches sat to right and row behind, we trying to get them to kick it into touch with a good 10 mins lefts. Lots of respect for us.

After today and last weeks win at London, things are really starting to look much more rosy. What we now need to do is beat some of the better teams like Feth, Eagles, Fax etc to push on.

So proud of all the boys today, well done Glen and co!

Up The Rams

Mirfield Rams

really pleased with today but cant help thinking WHAT IF

what if we had a full back

what if we could sort out the defense on Mortons side(I don't blame him he is always left 2v1)

what if we could cut out the silly errors

must say thought Seymour showed some class touches

overall though a good performance

really pleased with today but cant help thinking WHAT IF

what if we had a full back

what if we could sort out the defense on Mortons side(I don't blame him he is always left 2v1)

what if we could cut out the silly errors

must say thought Seymour showed some class touches

overall though a good performance

We have a full back but he's injured.

A very enjoyable game overall although we will suffer from it in the next few weeks: it looks as if Hemingway and Hyde picked up nasty injuries. Our second half display was pretty good but we blew it in the first.

Now the really important thing is to make sure we win next week - no complacency!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I thought we was worth something out of that game. Not going down the route of what if's. I thought the Referee should have penalised Leigh for the constant offside, I don't think there is a side that commits more offsides than Leigh. 

Leigh were starting to panic towards the end as instructions from the coaching to staff to put the ball into touch at each opportunity. 

So proud of the Rams today well done lads. Not many teams are going to get the better of us for the rest of the season. 

We can't complain about the ref today - how many Leigh tries did he chalk off, quite legitimately? A weaker referee might have been easily swayed by their antics and status but he stood firm.

We were the architects of our own downfall, but the game is done and we must look to next week.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Awesome today and with a little more luck who knows. The lads looked so fed up at the end, but needent have.

Looks like Hyde and Hemingway might be out for a while so let's hope we can pick it up again next week.

Can't single anyone out but did enjoy a couple of mikale's tackles..

Well played lads!

Well, we gave them a run for their money. I think I'm glad Merrick was in charge; he made some errors, but he did not allow Leigh to be in charge as some less experienced referees may have done.

I think most supporters will agree that we probably had only ourselves to blame for the defeat, but were gallant in that.

Looking at the penalty count (my calculation) of 10-4 in Dewsbury's favour I think it is is obvious that Leigh continued with their "darker side" to their game, yet their fans think the referee was a cheat, even to the extent that Barlow was wrongly dismissed for ten minutes!

Now BSJ, do you mean that the referee legitimately disallowed those tries, or disallowed legitimate tries? According to those Leigh fans with whom I "discussed" the game, believed he chalked off four good tries.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Well, we gave them a run for their money. I think I'm glad Merrick was in charge; he made some errors, but he did not allow Leigh to be in charge as some less experienced referees may have done.

I think most supporters will agree that we probably had only ourselves to blame for the defeat, but were gallant in that.

Looking at the penalty count (my calculation) of 10-4 in Dewsbury's favour I think it is is obvious that Leigh continued with their "darker side" to their game, yet their fans think the referee was a cheat, even to the extent that Barlow was wrongly dismissed for ten minutes!

Now BSJ, do you mean that the referee legitimately disallowed those tries, or disallowed legitimate tries? According to those Leigh fans with whom I "discussed" the game, believed he chalked off four good tries.

As a Leigh fan I thought 2 of our 5 disallowed tries should definately have been given. The Barlow and Kay ones were probably forward, the Higson one I thought should have stood but the last one for Ridyard was dead in line with me and was never forward, no way. The other one which was disallowed for obstruction I have no idea until I watch it back.

We contributed more to our downfall than leigh did

3 pinnacle points of the game

Hyde's ridiculous fielding of a kick

Pryce's crazy lazy pass to Dalton

Thackeray's total blindness in throwing a interception

We have serious gotta tighten up the first set of 6 after we score

It verges on laurel& hardy combinations of play

But.....

We never stopped until the final whistle so nothing more can be asked of the team

They did their best

Just annoying when you beat yourself rather than the opposition beats you

Well done Dewsbury Rams :)

We can't complain about the ref today - how many Leigh tries did he chalk off, quite legitimately? A weaker referee might have been easily swayed by their antics and status but he stood firm.

We were the architects of our own downfall, but the game is done and we must look to next week.

The one late on was never forward in the memory of man but aside from that I've no complaints about the referee from a Leigh perspective. Yes we play the game on the 'margins' as it were, but penalties for dissent and the like are a cardinal sin, and it's certainly not the referee missing tackles down the middle of the pitch etc.

Never thought I'd see the day where, in the space of a minute two, we'd see Oli Wilkes make a 50m break followed by Makali Aizue threatening an 80m break then Ridyard strolling in from 50m!

Thoroughly enjoyable game. Never thought I'd find a car park that takes longer to clear than the LSV though ;)

Never thought I'd see the day where, in the space of a minute two, we'd see Oli Wilkes make a 50m break followed by Makali Aizue threatening an 80m break then Ridyard strolling in from 50m!

Haha!

I thought Dewsbury did very well today. They are obviously coached very well and I can't see them losing at home again this season. They capitalised most times Leigh made telling errors. Very well played to them.

I thoroughly enjoyed my first visit to the ground too.

Good luck to you all for the rest of the season.

LEIGH CENTURIONS fan.

Your knowledge of grammar should have enabled you to conclude that I meant the former CF. I assume that you did, in fact, reach such a conclusion.

Your knowledge of grammar should have enabled you to conclude that I meant the former CF. I assume that you did, in fact, reach such a conclusion.

Your assumption is correct, but I posed the question for the benefit of others for clarification.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

We contributed more to our downfall than leigh did

3 pinnacle points of the game

Hyde's ridiculous fielding of a kick

Pryce's crazy lazy pass to Dalton

Thackeray's total blindness in throwing a interception

We have serious gotta tighten up the first set of 6 after we score

It verges on laurel& hardy combinations of play

But.....

We never stopped until the final whistle so nothing more can be asked of the team

They did their best

Just annoying when you beat yourself rather than the opposition beats you

Well done Dewsbury Rams :)

An excellent performance by the lads - we could and maybe should have won. On another day though, some of the disallowed tries would have been given, so no complaints about the score or the referee. For the Dalton doubters, he took the high balls, defended well and scored a try that would have had the sky chuckle brothers purring if Ryan Hall had scored it. The tragic events over at Keighley put things firmly into perspective for me when I got home.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Archived