2 Jul: Warrington Wolves v Wigan Warriors KO 8pm (TV)

Who will win?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Draw
    • Wigan Warriors

Surely Mr Wane observed the way Leigh cracked the Wire defense on Saturday with qiuck telling passes from the 6 & 7 completely dominating their opposites with skill, nothing to do with brute force that is beyond either of them, so with Wigan not adopting these tactics is it:-

1. Beyond Mr. Wane's ability as a coach,

2. Matty Smith (current incumbent of the national Jersey) and Williams not capable of this type of Rugby League.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Dwyer can carry on the way he is going he is going to be one of the best around. I thought wire upped another gear when he come on at hooker. I think he is a much better attacking player than Clarke. He seems to read the game so well.

I think Clarke is steadily getting back to the form he showed with Cas last year but Dwyer has been a revelation since his return. He has that eagerness about him, always looking for half a chance to put himself or others through a gap. Let's hope this form is permanent! Happy for the lad though.

I have always maintained moaning coaches have been around since the first coach got his job. SW doesn’t moan from the heart he moans from the head. Its not a crime of passion it’s a calculated crime.

The number of times a coach moans about things outside of his control has gathered serious momentum since Wane has taken charge.

This type of behaviour is rife in football and it seems he is trying it in RL. In the same way play acting is creeping in more and more.

RL has always been appealing because of its no no-nonsense approach. The RFL, since my last post about the topic, told him to shut his big pie hole and punished him!

IMO he has set his stall out to manipulate and influence the RFL/officials as part of his standard working practice.

He is calculated in his approach. Generally his outbursts and not typical of a guy who is infuriated moments after the final whistle and goes on a rant because he feels wronged. He’s planning for next week and the week after.

It’s just a form of cheating. If my argument that he is the orchestrator is not accepted then he is certainly the worst perpetrator. Either way this stuff should be punished severely before it becomes the norm.

You seem to be forgetting Nathan Brown made these sort of comments, as does Brain McDermott and Tony Smith, all who were head coaches before Wane. Paul Anderson, Kerion Cunningham, Iestyn Harris etc. etc. have all done exactly the same. I can't understand why you think this all originates from Wane, who only got the job in 2012! (Other than your clear hatred for him). I'm not saying Wane doesn't do it, all coaches do, but you seem to think this is a weekly thing.

Surely Mr Wane observed the way Leigh cracked the Wire defense on Saturday with qiuck telling passes from the 6 & 7 completely dominating their opposites with skill, nothing to do with brute force that is beyond either of them, so with Wigan not adopting these tactics is it:-

2. Matty Smith (current incumbent of the national Jersey) and Williams not capable of this type of Rugby League.

Don't worry, 'Mr Wane' has had more than enough success against Warrington defences than to take tips from Leigh. 

I would suggest there was a vast difference between defensive efforts from last Saturday to last night.

Leigh did very well, I've loved their cup run, looking forward to watchin them in the middle 8, but not sure we need to have a winkfest about them on every thread.

I think Clarke is steadily getting back to the form he showed with Cas last year but Dwyer has been a revelation since his return. He has that eagerness about him, always looking for half a chance to put himself or others through a gap. Let's hope this form is permanent! Happy for the lad though.

Yes, thought Clarke was very good last night, very very tough in defence, plus some very good darts, with a few half breaks. He still looks slightly unfit, so hopefully when at full power those become full breaks.

Dwyer has been a revelation, but then he has never let us down in previous seasons when he has played for us. I have often stated that my issue with our youth is that they often appear a bit meek and don't come on and take control - yet there is no way you can accuse him of that - and I think the same of Patton, who I would select over O'Brien every week.

It's most definitely option number 1. Wane does not know how to change things up if the game plan isn't working. We have one game plan and it is very easy to work out, it can be effective sometimes though. If you are able to break that game plan, then you will win. I don't think the word skill is in Wane's vocabulary, he prefers words like, stronger, tougher, hard, smash etc.

CiderWire – You have made my point.

Why is it fashionable amongst the coaches all of a sudden? (sudden as in last few years)

Why is this creeping into the game? Why does Wane do it after almost every game and in almost every interview he gives during the week? What is the purpose?

These outbursts used to be limited to a coach who clearly felt shafted and the comments were almost exclusively made immediately after the final whistle when the blood is running hot.

Just as Snapski said last night, Wane said all the right things right up until he accused the Wire of playing the ref and as such insinuated the officials were biased or conned into giving favourable decisions.

Just get on with losing. Keep your mouth shut and put things right the next week.

He does it because he wants to put pressure on the ref. The refs then become scared that if they give anything contentious against him they get berated after the match. Tried and tested by the big clubs in football.

If you have a proper grievance pick up the phone to the RFL and make your case. He uses media to try and pressurise the officials.

Don't worry, 'Mr Wane' has had more than enough success against Warrington defences than to take tips from Leigh. 

I would suggest there was a vast difference between defensive efforts from last Saturday to last night.

Leigh did very well, I've loved their cup run, looking forward to watchin them in the middle 8, but not sure we need to have a winkfest about them on every thread.

Utter bunkum if I may say so Dave, the intention is not to turn it into a Winkfest it was made to point out that there is more to playing Rugby League than seeing who is the strongest down the middle, there is a simple fundamental that you should be well aware of in that Lee Briers was one of the best exponents thàt "a pass beats a man every time" if executed correctly, running ball after ball directly at the opposition will promote a defensive effort.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

You seem to be forgetting Nathan Brown made these sort of comments, as does Brain McDermott and Tony Smith, all who were head coaches before Wane. Paul Anderson, Kerion Cunningham, Iestyn Harris etc. etc. have all done exactly the same. I can't understand why you think this all originates from Wane, who only got the job in 2012! (Other than your clear hatred for him). I'm not saying Wane doesn't do it, all coaches do, but you seem to think this is a weekly thing.

Not sure why you are being so hard headed on this 7723?

I have always maintained that from time to time coaches moan. Very rarely does the moaning happen at any point other than immediately after the game and normally when some genuine mistakes have been made by the officials.

The moaning normally comes in the form of ‘a few decisions didn’t go our way tonight but that’s the way it goes sometimes. They usually even themselves out so onwards an upwards to next week’

Wane is calculated. He makes deliberate attacks on the officials and he does it on a weekly basis.

There is a big difference between occasionally speaking out in the heat of the moment and questioning an odd dubious call to holding a press conference on a Wednesday afternoon and attacking the officials.

I also agree that other coaches are starting to do this as well.

IMO this new systematic approach originates from Wane. If it doesn’t he is the worst perpetrator. I don’t like it either way. Complain by all means but don’t do it in front of a camera, call the RFL and make your case. Stop trying to cheat.

Not sure why you are being so hard headed on this 7723?

I have always maintained that from time to time coaches moan. Very rarely does the moaning happen at any point other than immediately after the game and normally when some genuine mistakes have been made by the officials.

The moaning normally comes in the form of ‘a few decisions didn’t go our way tonight but that’s the way it goes sometimes. They usually even themselves out so onwards an upwards to next week’

Wane is calculated. He makes deliberate attacks on the officials and he does it on a weekly basis.

There is a big difference between occasionally speaking out in the heat of the moment and questioning an odd dubious call to holding a press conference on a Wednesday afternoon and attacking the officials.

I also agree that other coaches are starting to do this as well.

IMO this new systematic approach originates from Wane. If it doesn’t he is the worst perpetrator. I don’t like it either way. Complain by all means but don’t do it in front of a camera, call the RFL and make your case. Stop trying to cheat.

I can't understand why you think this originates from Wane other than a hatred towards the man. McDermott was doing this sort of thing long before Wane became a head coach. I'm a Wigan fan and I rarely see his mid week press conferences so god only knows how you manage it. It is ironic you think I'm being hard headed on this when all I am doing is pointing out other coaches do it then you keep referring to it all being Wanes (Wigans) fault. I also don't know where you get the idea he attacks officials weekly, he doesn't. Your posts are just purely an attack on Wane (Wigan) and nothing else.

I can't understand why you think this originates from Wane other than a hatred towards the man. McDermott was doing this sort of thing long before Wane became a head coach. I'm a Wigan fan and I rarely see his mid week press conferences so god only knows how you manage it. It is ironic you think I'm being hard headed on this when all I am doing is pointing out other coaches do it then you keep referring to it all being Wanes (Wigans) fault. I also don't know where you get the idea he attacks officials weekly, he doesn't. Your posts are just purely an attack on Wane (Wigan) and nothing else.

7723 as you pointed out earlier in this thread I have made comments about this before. I have been saying this for ages, a couple of years at least.

A few weeks ago the RFL decided to punish Wane for it. http://www.superleague.co.uk/article/32405/wigan-warriors-coach-issued-with

Has any other coach been punished this year?

Has any other coach been punished for his repeated assaults on the officials like Wane has?

If it is so prevalent throughout the league and not primarily down to Wane then you’ll be able to give me several examples of coaches being punished for the same offence in the last year or two?

When you can’t provide lots of examples of other coaches being punished will you play the ‘poor Wigan’ card again – the RFL have it in for you!

Wane is still doing it as recently as a few hours ago and so the RFL punishment clearly is not severe enough!

The man is a cheat – he just happens to coach Wigan. It may be hard for you to accept but my grievance is not with Wigan it’s with the offence. Simple.

If this was Leeds I would be equally critical – god knows I’ve not made many posts but I have been critical of Brian Mac numerous times.

I’ll say it again; if he did not start this he is head and shoulders above all the other coaches as the worst perpetrator.

It’s cheating.

He is not speaking out of passion he is speaking to manipulate the officials.

He’s been punished for doing so.

He did it again last night.

An almost flawless game from Warrington. Well deserved win.

Sporting comments as always from our Wigan contingent on here.

:rolleyes:  

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

:rolleyes:  

Now what? He was being sincere you goon.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Utter bunkum if I may say so Dave, the intention is not to turn it into a Winkfest it was made to point out that there is more to playing Rugby League than seeing who is the strongest down the middle, there is a simple fundamental that you should be well aware of in that Lee Briers was one of the best exponents thàt "a pass beats a man every time" if executed correctly, running ball after ball directly at the opposition will promote a defensive effort.

Yes, but I would say that Warrington won that game last night by being the toughest down the middle, so how does that work?

7723 as you pointed out earlier in this thread I have made comments about this before. I have been saying this for ages, a couple of years at least.

A few weeks ago the RFL decided to punish Wane for it. http://www.superleague.co.uk/article/32405/wigan-warriors-coach-issued-with

Has any other coach been punished this year?

Has any other coach been punished for his repeated assaults on the officials like Wane has?

If it is so prevalent throughout the league and not primarily down to Wane then you’ll be able to give me several examples of coaches being punished for the same offence in the last year or two?

When you can’t provide lots of examples of other coaches being punished will you play the ‘poor Wigan’ card again – the RFL have it in for you!

Wane is still doing it as recently as a few hours ago and so the RFL punishment clearly is not severe enough!

The man is a cheat – he just happens to coach Wigan. It may be hard for you to accept but my grievance is not with Wigan it’s with the offence. Simple.

If this was Leeds I would be equally critical – god knows I’ve not made many posts but I have been critical of Brian Mac numerous times.

I’ll say it again; if he did not start this he is head and shoulders above all the other coaches as the worst perpetrator.

It’s cheating.

He is not speaking out of passion he is speaking to manipulate the officials.

He’s been punished for doing so.

He did it again last night.

When have I played the poor Wigan card?? I am stating Wane did not start off this trend!! Make sure you take note of the whinging by Brown and Agar in 2011 and Morgan in 2009, before Wane was a head coach.

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12211/8643529/leeds-rhinos-coach-brian-mcdermott-fined-500-by-rugby-football-league

http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/10373864.Saints_coach_Nathan_Brown_fined_for_criticising_referee/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/13920024

http://www.therfl.co.uk/news/article/30597/st-helens-coach-fined-1000

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/may/20/keiron-cunningham-st-helens-fined-500-pounds-criticising-referee

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/12991839

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/hull_kr/7999569.stm

Wane has only had 1 fine for criticising the video ref as far as I am aware. He also has the warning you have put a link in for.

With regards to Wanes comment on "playing the Ref" is it possible that you do so, like "playing the weather", "playing the conditions" or "playing the opposition". You adapt your style of play to suit things that are out of your control, for example, the Ref is allowing laying on in the tackle, so if you're clever you lay on that bit longer. Similarly if he's not policing the 10m line, you creep forward earlier, maybe a more suitable phrase would be "playing to the Ref. better"

Just a thought

Yes, but I would say that Warrington won that game last night by being the toughest down the middle, so how does that work?

Can't argue with statement at all Dave, and that was what the game was all about "who is the toughest down the middle" won handsdown by Wire, but I was using the example of the 6 & 7 from Leigh to highlight that by utilising ball skills and outthinking a defence is a better way to score tries, don't for one second believe that Wire allowed Leigh to score any of those tries on Saturday if they could have prevented them.

I honestly think that it is a sad inditement of our game that a club as big as Wigan is stereotyped in its game play and can't adjust to what is in front of them, yes they were being dominated and outmuscled and even with seasoned international personnel had to rely on Plan A simply because Plan B does not exist, that must fairly and squarely sit with the coaching team.

I had to miss the game live- Thursday nights can be annoying - but wanted to congratulate Wire. I thought that they showed the real Wire last night and were very deserved winners. Adversity can bring the best out of people. With the Cup run and their capacity to turn over anybody on their day, there is a lot for them to look forward to. Having heard both coaches speak, I thought both spoke well. Playing the ref well is a back handed compliment and criticism of his own team, it seems to me. It would probably not be a hanging case unless you had a noose to hand ( :) ) - they come free with every 3 pitch forks I hear.

I think Wigan will end the season trophy less, having won more than they have lost in the meantime, in large part through a lack of leadership and our coach having taken the tactical development as far as he can. Still, there is plenty of great RL to be enjoyed in the meantime. We might even beat Leeds next week, but there is a softness about us that will prove fatal this year. When's Sam back again...

I hope this has given the (always fair and reasonable in my experience) Wire fans a very happy day.

I meant it as a genuine compliment, Padge, it wasn't sarcasm.

Fair enough, and I apologise for having taken it the wrong way.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived