Biggest game of the season?

fredm

I think Ivan is right . I was there and watched the DVD yesterday , and you played at a good tempo and threw it around with plenty of offloads . But getting rewards for all that territory when you got to the twenty was the problem . Plenty of opportunity for not much return , lack of creativity allied to our excellent defence .

story of our season, not a clue with ball in hand in the opposition 20, and no sign of it improving all year.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only one person can make the changes needed, he was very vocal and on the offensive after a couple of lucky wins but he has done a runner now and stuck his head back in the sand, wasn't his buddy Maxey responsible for Dewsbury the Ostritches website, how ironic.

If we stay up but once again fail to spend and wind up in another struggle next season, we'll lose even more fans. I fear people have lost their willingness to tolerate the 'small club punching above our weight' mantra that they've been fed for years.

I can only hope that the board realise this and speculate to accumulate a little in 2016.

r02c.gif

I think the point a lot of people are/have been making Michael is that the club is not active enough in finding ways to generate the money so it can compete in the market against the other teams.  The marketing for instance is very poor - how much advertising do you see around the area?  What was done after the NR Cup win and the Grand Final play off to attract new supporters? Was a data base of persons who had purchased tickets/replica shirts etc set up so they could be contacted?  It seems as if the club is happy to say "we are little Batley, we can't really compete with the big boys, as long as we don't get relegated and occasionally turn over one of the top teams, then we have done ok."  Unfortunately that attitude gradually turns to stagnation with all the resulting ends that that brings.

Some excellent points Fred. A brand had been established by the time of the NR Cup win and Grand Final, and the town of Batley turned out on both occasions in good numbers. Most Championship Clubs would have seen this as a glorious opportunity to build on this success to attract major financial backers and take the Club to an established top 4 Club, challenging for honours and prize money on a regular basis, with the benefits of ever increasing prize money. For some very strange reason our owner has always avoided proactively seeking additional financial backers/board members to grow the Club, and, as Roger rightly pointed out, came out with a statement at the pinnacle of our success that 'Batley has no interest in promotion to Super League'. When coupled with the stagnation within the Club over the past two seasons, what message does that send out both to supporters and potential financial backers of the Club, especially in the light that 2 of our peer Clubs in the recent past, Sheffield and Halifax, have progressed to full time status from next season. Drive and ambition for success starts at the top, and unfortunately our owner is demonstrating neither of these qualities.

Some excellent points Fred. A brand had been established by the time of the NR Cup win and Grand Final, and the town of Batley turned out on both occasions in good numbers. Most Championship Clubs would have seen this as a glorious opportunity to build on this success to attract major financial backers and take the Club to an established top 4 Club, challenging for honours and prize money on a regular basis, with the benefits of ever increasing prize money. For some very strange reason our owner has always avoided proactively seeking additional financial backers/board members to grow the Club, and, as Roger rightly pointed out, came out with a statement at the pinnacle of our success that 'Batley has no interest in promotion to Super League'. When coupled with the stagnation within the Club over the past two seasons, what message does that send out both to supporters and potential financial backers of the Club, especially in the light that 2 of our peer Clubs in the recent past, Sheffield and Halifax, have progressed to full time status from next season. Drive and ambition for success starts at the top, and unfortunately our owner is demonstrating neither of these qualities.

his way or the highway his attitude imo of course

Just to clarify up until this season to get in SL a Club needed to qualify & get a franchise. The criteria required ie. Stadium ,gates, turnover etc meant we had NIL chance of qualifying. That is not a slight chance it is a NIL chance.

Now there is a route to SL and on the face of it we could qualify if our on field performance justified it ie. We finished in middle 8's and won playoff game. We want to give them no excuses to refuse entry hence electronic scoreboard and other things we are sorting eg. Cctv.

So we are now looking at that possibility simply because it is a possibility.

I have tried to answer that misconception.

We obviously are nowhere near at moment so not saying otherwise.

On other criticisms i have no response on here as it is never ending so will just get on with trying to to improve Club ss best we can

I can only hope that the board realise this and speculate to accumulate a little in 2016.

I'd love to know a bit more detail on this point. Do you think the club should be spending money it doesn't have trying to climb the table. Sport is littered with examples of that strategy working brilliantly. I'm sure the Leeds fans on here think one champions league semi final was worth a decade in the doldrums.

I'd love to know a bit more detail on this point. Do you think the club should be spending money it doesn't have trying to climb the table. Sport is littered with examples of that strategy working brilliantly. I'm sure the Leeds fans on here think one champions league semi final was worth a decade in the doldrums.

money isn't an issue though remember

money isn't an issue though remember

I think that was for signing the right player BB, I believe we tried to sign Sammut without success. So far (with the exception of JC) we have signed the best of the 2015 players and we have what we have with the guys on 2 years deals some of which I would have resigned some I wouldn't. Nothing is going to change this season I believe, but if we are to stop the rot we do need some really good signings this winter or there may be no hope for us next season

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

I think that was for signing the right player BB, I believe we tried to sign Sammut without success. So far (with the exception of JC) we have signed the best of the 2015 players and we have what we have with the guys on 2 years deals some of which I would have resigned some I wouldn't. Nothing is going to change this season I believe, but if we are to stop the rot we do need some really good signings this winter or there may be no hope for us next season

totally agree with you on that pm, but if money wasn't an issue signing a half back now, can't see us getting a decent one in near future tbh honest

totally agree with you on that pm, but if money wasn't an issue signing a half back now, can't see us getting a decent one in near future tbh honest

TBH there aren't many about

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Agree on making signings of those who are most affective early, as it avoids the chaos of the last couple of seasons where half the team upped sticks and left. For me though, it is imperative that we strive to sign the player or players who can unlock our potential. l have lost count of the matches where we have dominated for periods, yet come away with nothing! Sunday was no exception, yet again, we had the territory to win, but yet again came away with nothing. l agree with those on here who see that we have potential in our team, but currently it is being wasted!

First things first though, we haven't avoided relegation yet!

Is he the one who was at Dewsbury and played against us in last Boxing Day match? Looked decent to me but that was then. If not good enough a) for Rams then b)for Hunslet, must have gone downhill. I'm surprised that nobody has yet replied to Kevin Nicholas, so I will; the sensible ones amongst us see the fact that you're like Ken Bates was at Leeds United: everybody wanted a pop at him whilst forgetting that if it hadn't been for him there wouldn't have been a club there at all. So in that respect we will be ever thankful. We also realise that although you keep telling us that money isn't an issue, most of it, if not all, is yours and your board members', probably got by re-mortgaging houses etc to take over the club in the first place, and I can see why there has to be an amount of prudent house-keeping. Where I fall in with many is the fact that we can see what trots out of the sheds on a Sunday at 3 at limps back in at half 4. We can see the disappointment on faces, and can't tell if it's because they haven't done the job as they were told, or haven't been told the job in the first place. This is where fans feel they can have a pop: because in either of those scenarios the buck stops with the coaching staff who seemingly can't motivate enough, and this is why the majority feel the club is now being let down. You have lots of lousy decisions to make clearly, not least of all how to improve the lot of the club, it's finances and what it owes you. It is pretty clear to most that the lot of the club isn't going to improve with the current coach and the squad as it is, hence neither are finances as fans are dwindling. How you go about sorting that out is your worry, but please don't go on forever being 'the gentleman', get dirty on occasions if you have to. John Kear did the club a massive favour; whoever would have expected that a coach fresh out of SL would have ever thought to come to Batley? But he did, credit to you and him. The raising of our profile was immense at that time, and that he took us to a Grand Final (not forgetting that it was from 5th place and knocking over 2 massive sides that season in Featherstone and Leigh) will never be overlooked. However, since then, due to any number of things we haven't been in the same ballpark and things have to change. For John to leave wouldn't be hard on him, he has plenty irons in the fire, and I believe that those who call weekly for him to go would actually agree with my sentiments and wish him well, but something new has to happen.

Is he the one who was at Dewsbury and played against us in last Boxing Day match? Looked decent to me but that was then. If not good enough a) for Rams then b)for Hunslet, must have gone downhill. I'm surprised that nobody has yet replied to Kevin Nicholas, so I will; the sensible ones amongst us see the fact that you're like Ken Bates was at Leeds United: everybody wanted a pop at him whilst forgetting that if it hadn't been for him there wouldn't have been a club there at all. So in that respect we will be ever thankful. We also realise that although you keep telling us that money isn't an issue, most of it, if not all, is yours and your board members', probably got by re-mortgaging houses etc to take over the club in the first place, and I can see why there has to be an amount of prudent house-keeping. Where I fall in with many is the fact that we can see what trots out of the sheds on a Sunday at 3 at limps back in at half 4. We can see the disappointment on faces, and can't tell if it's because they haven't done the job as they were told, or haven't been told the job in the first place. This is where fans feel they can have a pop: because in either of those scenarios the buck stops with the coaching staff who seemingly can't motivate enough, and this is why the majority feel the club is now being let down. You have lots of lousy decisions to make clearly, not least of all how to improve the lot of the club, it's finances and what it owes you. It is pretty clear to most that the lot of the club isn't going to improve with the current coach and the squad as it is, hence neither are finances as fans are dwindling. How you go about sorting that out is your worry, but please don't go on forever being 'the gentleman', get dirty on occasions if you have to. John Kear did the club a massive favour; whoever would have expected that a coach fresh out of SL would have ever thought to come to Batley? But he did, credit to you and him. The raising of our profile was immense at that time, and that he took us to a Grand Final (not forgetting that it was from 5th place and knocking over 2 massive sides that season in Featherstone and Leigh) will never be overlooked. However, since then, due to any number of things we haven't been in the same ballpark and things have to change. For John to leave wouldn't be hard on him, he has plenty irons in the fire, and I believe that those who call weekly for him to go would actually agree with my sentiments and wish him well, but something new has to happen.

Poor old Kevin getting likened to Ken Bates. Nobody deserves that!

Just to clarify up until this season to get in SL a Club needed to qualify & get a franchise. The criteria required ie. Stadium ,gates, turnover etc meant we had NIL chance of qualifying. That is not a slight chance it is a NIL chance.

Now there is a route to SL and on the face of it we could qualify if our on field performance justified it ie. We finished in middle 8's and won playoff game. We want to give them no excuses to refuse entry hence electronic scoreboard and other things we are sorting eg. Cctv.

So we are now looking at that possibility simply because it is a possibility.

I have tried to answer that misconception.

We obviously are nowhere near at moment so not saying otherwise.

On other criticisms i have no response on here as it is never ending so will just get on with trying to to improve Club ss best we can

So what are your medium-long term plans to improve the Club Kevin, putting SL aside for the time being,to enable us to get into the serious prize money, just a little further up the ladder? That is not a criticism, just a perfectly justifiable question in the light of what has happened over the past few seasons. You came out on this forum and asked for suggestions to improve the Club, and people responded in a genuine manner. What are you doing with those suggestions? Peoples's concerns about the back sliding of the Club are totally genuine, and are not personal agendas from long serving supporters of many generations of families at the Mount. If you do not have any plans, be honest and say that you are happy with the situation how it has been, then people can make their assumptions/decisions from there on how they wish to support the Club or otherwise.

According to Batley news John Kear says you need to win 4 out of your 6 games to give yourself a chance of 4th & a place in semifinals. Without knowing apart from our game on Sunday whether your home or away I think it's a big ask as you are 3pts behind Workington Town.

On current form I'd go

Rams lose(not confident)

Hunslet win(close game)

Doncaster win

Featherstone lose(as always against Fev another close game)

Whitehaven? Can't predict as you've lost take to them this season

London lose

But to be honest I think Workington will beat hunslet,Doncaster & Whitehaven so to me I think that'll be enough for 4th place, we'll see,good luck!!

All we are asking for is that the quaility of players brought in next season are far better than this . Its that simple a good half back and a good center and fullback not much really. Craven in and out and poor at times. Ansicough please someone teach hiw to tackle. Leatherbarough please stop kicking to the two shortest players on the pitch !!. Like i said its not difficult .

Agree on making signings of those who are most affective early, as it avoids the chaos of the last couple of seasons where half the team upped sticks and left. For me though, it is imperative that we strive to sign the player or players who can unlock our potential. l have lost count of the matches where we have dominated for periods, yet come away with nothing! Sunday was no exception, yet again, we had the territory to win, but yet again came away with nothing. l agree with those on here who see that we have potential in our team, but currently it is being wasted!

First things first though, we haven't avoided relegation yet!

here here

Club plans etc will appear on website in due course not on forum so everyone can see.

Obviously not happy with our present situation but a board do not react on a game by game situation instead have to sit back and consider things carefully and with a level head. Until we are sure not to be relegated cannot finalise any plans and still not given up on 4th spot although it will clearly be difficult so unsure on finances butwill be changes next season to try to improve.

Archived