EU Referendum

The Indy has gone all out for "in", as has the Guardian but in a more reserved way.

It'd be nice if there were a newspaper that I could trust to give the balanced view.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Indy has gone all out for "in", as has the Guardian but in a more reserved way.

It'd be nice if there were a newspaper that I could trust to give the balanced view.

The FT and Economist are leaning full on for in but their analysis is pretty objective.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

"England is perhaps the only great country whose intellectuals are ashamed of their own nationality. In Left-wing circles it is always felt there is something slightly disgraceful in being an Englishman and that it is a duty to snigger at every British institution."

Wrong in that England is not alone in having intellectuals who are ashamed of their own nationality.

I misunderstood your point earlier. I thought you were claiming that Orwell was wrong in claiming that English intellectuals were ashamed of British institutions.

Which other country's intellectual class do you put in the same bracket?

I misunderstood your point earlier. I thought you were claiming that Orwell was wrong in claiming that English intellectuals were ashamed of British institutions.

It's hard to beat Sweden for hand wringing self loathing

The BBC is definitely slanting its coverage towards staying in.

Cameron has promised it something, I reckon.

Whatever JohnM puts in italics it's fairly standard for the BBC to treat the current government with kid gloves.

Partly it's because they, like so much of the newsmedia, boil it all down to personalities these days and so hardly spend anything on the specifics and implication of policy.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Monstrous Eurosceptic flirt Theresa May confirms she will campaign for IN.

This leaves Gove, and possibly BoJo, as the only Tories of any prominence on the OUT team.

Monstrous Eurosceptic flirt Theresa May confirms she will campaign for IN.

This leaves Gove, and possibly BoJo, as the only Tories of any prominence on the OUT team.

And Chris Grayling.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

That's a very good article, but anyone who imagines the British establishment will allow us to leave the EU is living in a fantasy world.

Get ready for a repeat performance of 1975, when Benn, Powell, Foot and the rest were presented as eccentric at best, or nutters at worst.

The Out campaign is really assembling a remarkable cast list of weirdos.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

The "out" ministers join Farage and Galloway on the list of those strange folk that you really wouldn't want to be stuck in a lift with.

Cameron's playing a bit of brinkmanship though keeping the "out" ministers in the cabinet.  I know he wants to keep them ####### out the tent rather than into it but he's given them the credibility of being ministers of state rather than being frothy mouthed backbenchers.  None of them are what you'd call big personalities and need every bit of credibility they can get to make people listen to them.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Did you know that an Aussie living here with permanent right of residency can vote in the referendum but Nigel Farage's German wife can't unless she's taken British citizenship.  Bit of a strange distinction that one giving Commonwealth residents here the vote but not EU nationals who have been here for often decades.

post-29879-0-10401500-1455985790_thumb.jpg

Professor Adam Tomkins is a legal scholar and John Millar Professor of Public Law at the School of Law of the University of Glasgow. And the Conservative and Unionist Party's intellectual giant in Scotland.

And if you think that the Labour Party in Scotland can in any way be considered 'left', they have been reduced to a Scotland-loathing, militant British Nationalist rump (that is still trying to figure out where it all went wrong).

attachicon.gifuniontwat3-460x305.jpg

Professor Adam Tomkins is a legal scholar and John Millar Professor of Public Law at the School of Law of the University of Glasgow. And the Conservative and Unionist Party's intellectual giant in Scotland.

And if you think that the Labour Party in Scotland can in any way be considered 'left', they have been reduced to a Scotland-loathing, militant British Nationalist rump (that is still trying to figure out where it all went wrong).

And what do they say that shows they are ashamed of their own nationality?

anyone who imagines the British establishment will allow us to leave the EU is living in a fantasy world.

Why are we bothering with this then?

The out campaign is totally non establishment ... the press (express, mail, sun, times, telegraph), Lord Lawson et al, Farage, Owen Paterson, Gove, Redwood, etc, etc.

I'd say the establishment is as divided as the rest.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

The out campaign is totally non establishment ... the press (express, mail, sun, times, telegraph), Lord Lawson et al, Farage, Owen Paterson, Gove, Redwood, etc, etc.

I'd say the establishment is as divided as the rest.

How dare you suggest that these are not noble freedom fighters taking direct inspiration from the Peasants Revolt.

Archived