Wigan/Salford date change

Sisko

Changing the date of a game on 8 days notice is a poor way to treat fans. Not fair on Salford to play on a 5 day turn around thought the RFL had said that nobody would be forced to have one this season expect for the Easter games 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am travelling from Gran Canaria to watch this game. My flight is on Friday. Has anyone considered the fans in any of this. Fuming doesn't even begin to cover it.

With it being so close to the day of the game Wigan should have explored all options to keep the game on the same day if it meant playing at Leigh or Widnes. Feel really bad for you mate the RFL and Wigan have let you down big time.

This is poor. Games being moved at short notice for TV is one thing that infuriates people but can't be avoided. I gather TV is not the reason here.

Does anyone know why it took so long to sort this out? Fixtures for both RL and football have been set for a long time. Is it because the pitch has been relaid and this was unexpected? Seems unfair on Salford as it impacts more than just the one game. Some clubs have rearranged home fixtures from Sunday to Friday purely to avoid a short turnaround, With only 8 days' notice, Salford haven't been able to do this. For me, if a home team can't fulfil a fixture at their ground without giving plenty of notice, the opposing team should get to choose which of the usual matchdays (ie. Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun) the game should be moved to. 

Wigan need to have more say in what goes on at their home ground. It seems the terms of their lease need revisiting as they are dictated to by the football club

BTW don't be surprised if there's a similar change for Easter Monday - both Wigan & Latics are scheduled at home that day

This is what happens when your just a team of rent boys - your master dictates when you can play :tongue:

Ooof!

Not sure about those words Toppy.  :nono:

:kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Ooof!

Not sure about those words Toppy.  :nono:

I know he is at the wind up, but his words completely ring true.  Rugby League clubs prefer not to invest in facilities/infrastructure, and as such are pushed about by 'landlords' like no-name football (or at lower levels - rugby union) clubs.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

I am travelling from Gran Canaria to watch this game. My flight is on Friday. Has anyone considered the fans in any of this. Fuming doesn't even begin to cover it.

have you contacted the club - by phone would be best - to explain the impact and cost implications? (calmly and rationally of course)

It's not the thick, Neanderthal offensive homophobia that is most depressing, it's not knowing the difference between "your" and "you're". Thank goodness he didn't attempt a sentence with "would have" in it.

Hook, line & sinker :tongue:  there's always one willing to take the bait

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Back to the matter in hand, what concerns me are 1) that we have a short turnaround (though Salford's is shorter) after having asked but been refused by Cas to move last Year's game back a couple of days last years, with memorably awful results, and 2) the annoyance to the fans makes it harder for IL to sell the "on the road" game. I have not heard whether we have to play cup games at neutral venues this year, but if so, and we lose, expect a cumulative explosion of pastry and "meat" in the ancient and loyal borough.

In homage to Liverpool fans' protest, Wigan fans should stop eating for a whole minute during their next home game.

Why don't Wigan ever play at Bolton's stadium, it's right on the Wigan side of the town boundaries.

Why don't they buy it? Would solve a simple problem. Athletic have just bought their training ground and Bolton are penniless. They can then just charge Bolton rent for using it

If you go to the official Warriors website you will find a video by IL explaining the whole situation. It is 23 minutes long so it is clearly not a simple problem to solve.

It was a good watch. Sounds like RFL were trying to save face about 4 day turnarounds when they were enforcing changes last season on a number of clubs in not letting them have Thursday as an option weeks ago - certainly would have saved a lot of frustrations amongst the supporters to have a bit more notice about the change.

Hopefully a quicker announcement is made about the Hull KR game on Easter Monday which also clashes with Latics

when they were enforcing changes last season on a Humber of clubs

Just Hull and Hull KR then?

:kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

A very valid point towards the end of the video - it appears there is no contingency in the fixture programme to cater for postponements of any sort, which is crazy considering we start the season at this time of year when heavy rain and snow are a real possibility.

I've never been a fan of Thursday night games, it seems to be the sporting graveyard of the week, popular with no-one, sad to hear that Thursday fixtures seem to be here with us for the foreseeable.

these things happen, it seems , in such packed fixture lists. My issue is that not all Wigan fans live in Wigan. What if you bought a train ticket and booked a hotel on the FRiday night only to find the game date had changed and couldn't change your ticket and reservation. ?

So Easter Monday is only a few weeks away what is stopping Wigan making an announcement?

Why not hold it over to a free Challenge Cup weekend,both teams are not likely to progress very far.

Why did the RFL not schedule it for Craven Park...Hull get 2 local games so no problem there. And Rovers like Easter Monday at home to Wigan....fond memories.

Archived