Wigan/Salford date change

Sisko

In homage to Liverpool fans' protest, Wigan fans should stop eating for a whole minute during their next home game.

Maybe they could just copy the Liverpool fans' protest?

Nah, waiting until the 77th minute before leaving is too long for Wigan fans.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

these things happen, it seems , in such packed fixture lists. My issue is that not all Wigan fans live in Wigan. What if you bought a train ticket and booked a hotel on the FRiday night only to find the game date had changed and couldn't change your ticket and reservation. ?

I've booked and paid for a flight on Friday!

He was adamant that Wigan shouldn't give up home advantage for a league fixture.

That's fine. However, he should then be willing to compensate the likes of johnh1.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

That's fine. However, he should then be willing to compensate the likes of johnh1.

Should it not be the rfl doing the compensating Wigan requested that Friday be avoided before the fixtures were compiled the rfl still picked that day and refused to change after Wigan poi ted out it would be an issue after the fixtures were sent out for clubs to comment on.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

A very valid point towards the end of the video - it appears there is no contingency in the fixture programme to cater for postponements of any sort, which is crazy considering we start the season at this time of year when heavy rain and snow are a real possibility.

There's no space for postponements BECAUSE THE SUPER LEAGUE CLUBS VOTED FOR THE CURRENT SEASON SET UP.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Why publish the date when fixtures were released without a proviso that not confirmed and subject to change.On the day it was published it was known that it was not going to be played at Wigan on the Friday night.

At least Wigan v Hull KR was published as kick off to be confirmed so I for one have not made any firm plans yet.

Wigan should be liable for consequential losses of their fans where claims are made.

Then contact the club and Nigel Woods. It's easy to do.

Why do you keep saying that? Do you think they'll reschedule again?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

You want him to do the hanging Wright joke again, don't you?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Exactly. What would Nigel Woods do? The point is that people make plans. For some people, it's easy to change those plans. For others, it isn't. I have to choose my games very carefully. The last game I saw live was the England v New Zealand test match at Wigan. The next one will be Catalans v Salford in Perpignan. Was really looking forward to the Wigan v Salford game as it's the first time in a long, long time that I think we have a chance of winning at Wigan.

Should it not be the rfl doing the compensating Wigan requested that Friday be avoided before the fixtures were compiled the rfl still picked that day and refused to change after Wigan poi ted out it would be an issue after the fixtures were sent out for clubs to comment on.

According to Ian Lenaghan they highlighted issues with 7 games and were granted movement on 5.  He avoided commenting on whether there were any limits on the number they could get moved i.e. whether 5 was the maximum number of changes a club is allowed or why they didn't make firmer representations about the the two were that were not resolved.  The fault lies with Wigan since Lenaghan admitted the issue was known about in September 2015 and the change in the date was not actioned until last week.  No explanation has been given as to why it was left so late.  There was a lot of comment about the options which had been considered and all the things he was not prepared to do but not satisfactory answer as to why it has been left so late.

Perhaps if we knew how many other teams had clashes with availability and how many changes they'd been able to be granted we would be in a better position to judge.

According to Ian Lenaghan they highlighted issues with 7 games and were granted movement on 5.  He avoided commenting on whether there were any limits on the number they could get moved i.e. whether 5 was the maximum number of changes a club is allowed or why they didn't make firmer representations about the the two were that were not resolved.  The fault lies with Wigan since Lenaghan admitted the issue was known about in September 2015 and the change in the date was not actioned until last week.  No explanation has been given as to why it was left so late.  There was a lot of comment about the options which had been considered and all the things he was not prepared to do but not satisfactory answer as to why it has been left so late.

Perhaps if we knew how many other teams had clashes with availability and how many changes they'd been able to be granted we would be in a better position to judge.

I think you watched a Star Wars video, you certainly didn't watch the Lenigan one 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

For clarification: The guy is clearly upset that he has bought and paid for a game ticket and a plane ticket. He has complained about that on here. He should be directing his complaint at the club or at the RFL.

Rovers like Easter Monday at home to Wigan....fond memories.

huge.103.518666.JPG

:kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Ah! Sorry, I hadn't watched the interview, I just went on what had been posted.

Yes, if the rfl insisted on the shift to Thursday, anyone who has made the sort of travel/accommodation arrangements that johnh1 has should be due some form of compensation from the rfl. Once the fixture list has been published, fans should be able to make these arrangements with confidence, unless the fixture is flagged as TBC.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Ah! Sorry, I hadn't watched the interview, I just went on what had been posted.

Yes, if the rfl insisted on the shift to Thursday, anyone who has made the sort of travel/accommodation arrangements that johnh1 has should be due some form of compensation from the rfl. Once the fixture list has been published, fans should be able to make these arrangements with confidence, unless the fixture is flagged as TBC.

The RFL were happy for Wigan to play on Friday....after all Thursday should be kept clear for Sky viewers and is not a preferred day for any club.

Wigan had a wide range of local grounds available to honour a Friday fixture that they published . They ruled out Leigh, a previous choice, because whilst free to use it had a number of games in previous day's. I thought it was an artificial surface?

Lenaghans video seemed to be all about protecting Wigan's preferences ignoring the price they have to pay for sharing someone else's ground. And his comment about Wigan reaching Wembley was laughable but explains why using a vacant Cup weekend is not mentioned. Did Salford not get any consideration?

The fault for the late change lays firmly and squarely with Wigan not the RFL

They should have kept the fixture as TBC and have sorted it out earlier. They knew there were issues

Blaming the RFL is an easy deflection to use

The RFL were happy for Wigan to play on Friday....after all Thursday should be kept clear for Sky viewers and is not a preferred day for any club.

Wigan had a wide range of local grounds available to honour a Friday fixture that they published . They ruled out Leigh, a previous choice, because whilst free to use it had a number of games in previous day's. I thought it was an artificial surface?

Lenaghans video seemed to be all about protecting Wigan's preferences ignoring the price they have to pay for sharing someone else's ground. And his comment about Wigan reaching Wembley was laughable but explains why using a vacant Cup weekend is not mentioned. Did Salford not get any consideration?

Leigh was out because the Sports Village had 4 games already scheduled that week. Leigh is not an artificial surface.

Wigan brought up the option of playing a vacant cup weekend, the RFL said no as they thought it likely Wigan could be involved in the final.

If the RFL wanted the game on another ground then they should pick up the £75,000 bill for it.

The fault for the late change lays firmly and squarely with Wigan not the RFL

They should have kept the fixture as TBC and have sorted it out earlier. They knew there were issues

Blaming the RFL is an easy deflection to use

The RFL were warned months ago that the date was an issue, before the fixtures were compiled. Its an RFL issue, they picked a date that had been declared a problem date.

Has a reason been given as to why they couldn't just reverse the fixture? Play this one at Salford and the Salford home game at Wigan in the future?

The date in the future (June) was not available for the DW to host a fixture as major renovations are taking place on the pitch

Archived