Sign in to follow this  
Bedford Roughyed

'World Rugby' (sic) against RLIF bid for recognition?

If rugby league isn't on union's radar, why was a union WC game played in the same city on the same evening as the SL GF?

How many people decided to miss the Grand Final because of the England v Uruguay game? Nobody I know!

How many people decided to miss the Grand Final because of the England v Uruguay game? Nobody I know!

The idea was to put us in our place.

it turned out fine :)

Sorry, I don't understand are you saying there was something else on the night Leeds won the Treble?

• Like 1

“I would!”     

I don't know why we are perpatually surprised by world *nion's attitude to League.

They're just a bunch of *uc*ing *rsehol*s

its more than that, when you think about it:  being constantly trying to kill us so they do not have to worry for their survival. they must know and feel that their soprrt is weak without being able to accept it. 

anyone with psychanalyse skills to give them a diagnostic?

its more than that, when you think about it:  being constantly trying to kill us so they do not have to worry for their survival. they must know and feel that their soprrt is weak without being able to accept it. 

anyone with psychanalyse skills to give them a diagnostic?

That's as good an answer as I've come across for their strange behaviour and strategies!

“I would!”     

Quite a few years ago a delegation from Australia/RLIF?? visited GAISF (the old name for Sport Accord) with a view to learning what criteria RL and RLIF had to fulfill to be accepted.

We had quite an in-depth discussion about it on here and I remember doing a bit of digging into what GAISF was about. As others have said on here, membership is used by many governments and other authorities to determine what are legitimate sports when it comes to funding and state support.

Membership of international bodies like this is something the game's authorities should have sorted out long ago but, sadly, many of those running the game in the past DID see RL as being the professional version of 'rugby'. So, as we have witnessed so many times over the years, when RL pops up in new countries it is not seen as a separate sport. When recognition or support is applied for people are often referred to the RU authorities.

Anyway, I believe the Aussie delegation were sent away with a list of things that needed to change, including the governance of the RLIF. I thought that would be the end of it (as in it sounded too much like hard work for the game's international leadership) but obviously work has been going on in the background.

One thing about the objection by World Rugby. Amongst the criteria for admission to the body was the right of any existing member to object to an application if it came from a body that was, effectively, administrating the same sport, or if the new sport posed a specific danger to an existing, recognised sport. RU's objection could be based on that.

"One thing about the objection by World Rugby. Amongst the criteria for admission to the body was the right of any existing member to object to an application if it came from a body that was, effectively, administrating the same sport, or if the new sport posed a specific danger to an existing, recognised sport. RU's objection could be based on that."  Thank you Methven,

We do need to find out: 1) If they actually raised an objection? 2) What heading it came under, (the broad categories from above) and

3) Get hold of as much evidence as possible  4) Take some steps! (This is the easiest bit!)

I did try to email the writer on the website but couldn't get it to work no matter what I did!

Edited by Oxford

“I would!”     

http://www.dailymave...e/#.Vx2R8Ylus94 this url is from a post on the international forum by Copa about ru interference in our sport but I think it's very relevant here too!

It just never seems to end does it?

No doubt people will say conspiracy theories but this is emerging as a pattern of behaviour across the world in the 21st century and consistently contains the same two sports in the story!

Can anyone honestly believe someone called Tubby Reddy would look kindly on Rugby?

The next Sport Accord meeting is a week away.

And will recognition for TGG be on the table?

I'm gobsmacked this hasn't gone to CC? :O

“I would!”     

The theme of the meeting is 'The Power of Sport to Drive World Health', so I don't know if issues such as RL will be spoken about.

In that case do the RLIF have representatives there?

“I would!”     

Very frustrating news about rugby league again failing to be recognised by Sport Accord. World Rugby had a hand last time RL was blocked.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

It's like the little kid from the council estate who conveniently gets excluded from all the birthday parties. Everyone knows why it happens but no-one wants to come out and say it. Disgrace.

• Like 2

Ok here's an idea we should all get behind.

This tweet sneakily uses both sides opinions to expose the truth that they are separate sports. What do you think, and if you like it please can you A: vote, and B: share it. Note I have sent it as a tweet to sport accord so they will get notified of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BenGilesRL said:

This tweet sneakily uses both sides opinions to expose the truth that they are separate sports. What do you think, and if you like it please can you A: vote, and B: share it. Note I have sent it as a tweet to sport accord so they will get notified of it.

I dont use twitter myself but will send the link to RL clubs in FR... that is a good idea to try to get to them like that. (but regarding the fact that runion is more important, they might win the vote... AND if you poll is not followed internationaly, it might be against us )

I propose that you create a new topic of it. so the all community on TotalRL who is on twitter can vote too. great idea. we need this recognition

Members include World Bridge, Word Chess, World Frisbee, International Fistball and International Korfball. No recognition for the RLIF?? Seriously??

Add Orienteering and Sleddog Sports to that WTF?

Edited by Scubby

1 hour ago, BenGilesRL said:

I've voted.

Was this decision and the reasons made public and/or available?

On the Sport Accord Website membership link it says that they are currently reorganising the membership process and that new information will soon be available. It will be interesting to see what happens, have they blocked RL while still reorganising? surely they should have deferred any application until the process is clear.

Also I wonder what the Department for Culture, Media and Sport are doing about this, surely the RL parliamentary group should be asking them

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand