Rant thread

3 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

I went to the Isle of Wight in 1970 ... £14, I think.

Hendrix, Doors, Who, Joni Mitchell, Melanie, Free, Family, John Sebastian, Emmerson Lake & Palmer. Plus, I missed Leonard Cohen and Joan Baez.

I was eight and I'm an old ###### now.

how old does that make you?:tongue:

Edited by Shadow

had to look after a dog today that had broken loose from its owner, while trying to work at the side of a main road and keep it safe from the traffic, HAS ANYONE TRIED TO CONTACT THE COUNCIL!!!!!!!!!! to try and get the local dog warder? was like trying to hack in to the pentagon -via phone  was the most annoying thing ever - too busy- engaged- passed around - go online etc etc- the dog would have died of old age before the road had a chance to claim its next canine statistic - luckily I knew someone who worked at the council and they did it internal contact as a favour, turned out dog was chipped so hopefully back home, why not -there you go -a number for the dog warder? followed by -here you are- someone to answer that number and save 4 hours of my wasted time!

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Bought two pairs of jeans on Sunday, on offer. Same brand, same fit, same waist, same inside leg. Only difference was colour. Only tried on one pair, which was a mistake: got home and the pair I didn't try have a waist 3 inches smaller than the other. ???

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

2 hours ago, gazza77 said:

Bought two pairs of jeans on Sunday, on offer. Same brand, same fit, same waist, same inside leg. Only difference was colour. Only tried on one pair, which was a mistake: got home and the pair I didn't try have a waist 3 inches smaller than the other. ???

So, go on a diet. Problem solved! :tongue:

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

You were robbed..Unless they gave you the £2. 

I was never a huge fan of the police but the memsahib  (sort of) enjoyed them. They were new and I had heard rave reviews so went to see how good they were. Rough on the edges and quite raw and not really my cup o' tea.

U2.... an enigma. I enjoyed October and Boy..... but they quickly went all pretentious and tedious.

Good live act in 78.... absolutely sheeite in 88.

And consider yourself admonished by the memsahib.... she says the police are ace!!!°

Edited by Robin Evans

The Police had some really good songs, but there was always the arty-farty stuff to drag it all down. An interesting group dynamic, too, with three strong-willed guys from very different personal and musical backgrounds.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I was never a huge fan of the police but the memsahib  (sort of) enjoyed them. They were new and I had heard rave reviews so went to see how good they were. Rough on the edges and quite raw and not really my cup o' tea.

U2.... an enigma. I enjoyed October and Boy..... but they quickly went all pretentious and tedious.

Good live act in 78.... absolutely sheeite in 88.

And consider yourself admonished by the memsahib.... she says the police are ace!!!°

A case of mistaken identity.  I was responding to this: "Saw U2 in 1977 or 78, thereabouts, at Salford University bar for £2"

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

A case of mistaken identity.  I was responding to this: "Saw U2 in 1977 or 78, thereabouts, at Salford University bar for £2"

It would have been more entertaining if that had read "Sawed U2 in half, thereabouts"

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I saw em at the city hall sheff.... my memory is shot but I got it down as 78... could be wrong.

Their 1st 2 albums were a buzzin at a time when the uk music scene was bangin. My interest fell away significantly after that.

Edit... the memsahib suggests it was much later than I suggest and cites points of reference in our life.... could even have been 1980.... the year before we married.... 

My memory lodged that gig in the punk era....

Edited by Robin Evans

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

I saw em at the city hall sheff.... my memory is shot but I got it down as 78... could be wrong.

Their 1st 2 albums were a buzzin at a time when the uk music scene was bangin. My interest fell away significantly after that.

Edit... the memsahib suggests it was much later than I suggest and cites points of reference in our life.... could even have been 1980.... the year before we married.... 

First played in Sheffield at the Uni on May 24 1980, played twice more at the Limit Club on Sept 23 and Nov 15, also in 1980.

There is no emotion I can describe for this.

I had a file... a small ring file that I kept every gig stub from almost every gig I attended that required a ticket. A chronicle of my youth. 

We've recently cleared out a lot of sh it from the spare room and it appears I've chucked it out with all my old crapola.

Given my memories of 77-81 are proven to be hazy at best.... I just wanted to check the u2 gig in sheff.... dates/prices etc. It's probably getting eaten by rats on the landfill site now.... sheeite!!!!!!!!

Proper gutted.

... I just wanted to check the u2 gig in sheff.... dates/prices etc. It's probably getting eaten by rats on the landfill site now.... sheeite!!!!!!!!

Proper gutted.

More likely baled for incineration in a German waste-to-energy plant.

Achtung Baby!!!

• Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

7 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

There is no emotion I can describe for this.

I had a file... a small ring file that I kept every gig stub from almost every gig I attended that required a ticket. A chronicle of my youth. 

We've recently cleared out a lot of sh it from the spare room and it appears I've chucked it out with all my old crapola.

Given my memories of 77-81 are proven to be hazy at best.... I just wanted to check the u2 gig in sheff.... dates/prices etc. It's probably getting eaten by rats on the landfill site now.... sheeite!!!!!!!!

Proper gutted.

Several things have happened recently where I've realised stuff has been thrown out which I now regret.  I feel for you it's flipping horrible. :sad:

In the blink of an eye it could all be taken away.  Be grateful always.

The main road to the train station in Ipswich is closed from today until mid-April for roadworks with a long and inconvenient detour..  So, two rants and one well done.

Rant 1: Why does it take eight weeks to install new traffic lights and create a changed entrance/exit from the station?  Seriously?  A long weekend at best surely.  Am I missing something?

Well done:  A well done to British Gas for bringing forward gas main upgrade works by six months to take advantage of the dug-up roads in the area.

Rant 2:  A rant about why Anglian Water cannot upgrade the failing sewers at the same time.  Their sewer works start when the gas work and train station roadworks have finished.  Apparently you can't do two utilities at once in one bit of roadworks, the computer says no.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I'm about to start another week at work where I'll be subjected to the delights of heart radio while everyone will have the nerve to say that my taste in music is "horrendous". I usually switch the station to Absolute as that just requires a flicking of the fm/am switch and they do play some good stuff but most of the tome I have to put up with what is probably the worst radio station in the UK. It really is the epitome of naff.