Who is the best player you've ever seen?

Alex Murphy was a standout, Vince Karalius was the raging bull in his day, Billy Boston was the best Winger ever.

How can you compare these Legends from their era to what we see in recent times?

You can't, the game has changed so much that it would be like comparing Stanley Matthews to current players.

Karalius was not a big man, 89Kg, 183 cm the size of an average Centre nowadays

Gorden Tallis was 107Kg 189cm

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alex murphy got mentioned in one of the nrl commenteries last week..or the week before??

Sterlo is a big fan.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Alex Murphy was a standout, Vince Karalius was the raging bull in his day, Billy Boston was the best Winger ever.

How can you compare these Legends from their era to what we see in recent times?

You can't, the game has changed so much that it would be like comparing Stanley Matthews to current players.

Karalius was not a big man, 89Kg, 183 cm the size of an average Centre nowadays

Gorden Tallis was 107Kg 189cm

Often forgotten is that we had no substitutes then. Neither were players 'protected' as much with additional officials and the VR.

Murphy, as an 18 year old, was part of the '58 team that beat Australia, finishing with 10 men. Karalius was part of that team and I think finished the game as stand off. He was more skilled than he gets credit for.

Murphy was lightening quick. No answer to speed in any era.

Sterlo is a big fan.

Sterlo never misses a chance to mention the english game....i remember when willie mason signed for rovers and it came up during commentary and sterlo quipped " well its the wrong hull club for starters" lol

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Schofield was a top class player. I have been watching League since 1985 and he is probably the second best British player I have seen in that time after Hanley.

As for the best I have seen. There are so many Australian greats that it is hard to narrow them down... Lewis, Sterling, Mortimer, Pearce, Miles, Meninga, Johns, Fitler, Lockyer, Inglis.... I could type forever! But I have to say that Hanley was as good as any one of these and possibly better... certainly the first player that comes to my mind when I think of the best ever.

I've got some footage whole games of his time is Oz and sorry to say they don't give any evidence to support your opnion! And I don't recall him frightening anyone in tests either!

But a bit of disagreement in any family just helps us all move forward!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

But Boston didn't kick goals, and didn't play as long as Big Neil!  Neil was the supreme footballer.   I saw him play for Bradford at Odsal in 1978, he wasn't the free running centre any more, he was playing second row, but every time Bradford got a PTB near the Wakey line, Neil went to AHB, and every time he got the ball he passed to his left.  Except the last time, he dummied to his left and walked over the line.  A footballer.

Boston did kick goals, just not very often. Playing longer doesn't make you better.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Best player I have ever seen is either Arthur Beetson, Reg Gasnier, Mal Meninga, Andrew Johns, Billy Slater, Ellery Hanley, or Roger Millward

Very good list and very lucky to have seen all of them!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

For me it had to be Ellery Hanley. No-one blinked an eye lid whether he was on the wing, in the centre, at stand off or loose forward as he was unbelievable in all those positions. He was banging out 40-50 tries a season playing in the pack, wonderful support player. Added to that he was a brilliant defender and hard as nails.

eric ashton made boston look great 

Boston was great before he even joined Wigan.  Not saying Ashton didn't help his game, but I've seen film of him playing for the Royal Signals in an Army Cup final and he dominated that game (Union)

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Boston did kick goals, just not very often. Playing longer doesn't make you better.

We're not saying better, we're saying best.  Neil was the best I saw, but then I saw him regularly, I only saw Boston occasionally, like you only saw Fox occasionally.  Neil played in the fifties, sixties and seventies and just missed out on playing in the eighties. I think longevity counts for something.  He was the supreme rugby footballer, the best I've seen of either code. Given today's training methods, he'd be in Australia playing for one of their top clubs were he currently playing.  Why Neil isn't on the Wembley statue given his Wembley feats and Offiah is on it is beyond me.  Neil was a far better player than Offiah.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

We're not saying better, we're saying best.  Neil was the best I saw, but then I saw him regularly, I only saw Boston occasionally, like you only saw Fox occasionally.  Neil played in the fifties, sixties and seventies and just missed out on playing in the eighties. I think longevity counts for something.  He was the supreme rugby footballer, the best I've seen of either code. Given today's training methods, he'd be in Australia playing for one of their top clubs were he currently playing.  Why Neil isn't on the Wembley statue given his Wembley feats and Offiah is on it is beyond me.  Neil was a far better player than Offiah.

The Wembley statue was voted on by the RL public, so I don't see how you can complain.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I can't say who is the the best ,but I have my favourites .I enjoyed reading all the posts about the best you all have seen.I will tell you the best I never saw ! All the people of a previous generation to me or just slightly older used to say Arthur Clues .I wish I had seen him play

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

eric ashton made boston look great

I was only a little boy ,but I can still remember Boston thundering past me as I sat on the straw with many other kids in a 1st round CC game at Headingley 1957 .He did that twice two individual 80 yard tries beat many leeds players .80 yards ! Brilliant and as great as Ashton was those efforts were not down to Him

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

The Wembley statue was voted on by the RL public, so I don't see how you can complain.

You've said that before, but I don't recall being given a vote.  I take nothing away from Boston or Ashton. I never saw Risman so can't comment. I certainly question Murphy's place there, the man was a cheat, nothing more nothing less.  Offiah's presence is a sick joke.  Neil Fox's absence is unbelievable.

Clement Attlee.

left field I guess

When he was fit - Nigel Wright, had sleight of hand and speed and could steer a team almost by mind power alone - class act Joe Lydon with all the cards in the pack

Was a real shame his body let him down

You've said that before, but I don't recall being given a vote.  I take nothing away from Boston or Ashton. I never saw Risman so can't comment. I certainly question Murphy's place there, the man was a cheat, nothing more nothing less.  Offiah's presence is a sick joke.  Neil Fox's absence is unbelievable.

To say Murphy was nothing more than a cheat is just daft. Just that one statement tells me you know nothing about the game.

To say Murphy was nothing more than a cheat is just daft. Just that one statement tells me you know nothing about the game.

I've played and watched the game for nearly 60 years, so I think I know a thing or two.

I saw Murphy bend the rules in the 1966 final.  I saw him get Syd Hynes sent off, by conning the ref. And I saw him in the 1974 final niggle Fev into retaliating when they were beating his Warrington side.  Murphy may have been quick and clever, but some of his antics should have brought bringing the game into disrepute charges.  Instead he gets to be on the plinth at Wembley. 

Clement Attlee.

For me it had to be Ellery Hanley. No-one blinked an eye lid whether he was on the wing, in the centre, at stand off or loose forward as he was unbelievable in all those positions. He was banging out 40-50 tries a season playing in the pack, wonderful support player. Added to that he was a brilliant defender and hard as nails.

If you could construct the perfect RL player he would look like Ellery Hanley. Amazing athlete, great pace, upper body strength, rugby brain, support player, tackling machine. The complete package and if playing in today's game he would be priceless.

Archived