Who is the best player you've ever seen?

better, and could play anywhere (other than front row), TV was a one trick pony in comparison.

But Boston didn't kick goals, and didn't play as long as Big Neil!  Neil was the supreme footballer.   I saw him play for Bradford at Odsal in 1978, he wasn't the free running centre any more, he was playing second row, but every time Bradford got a PTB near the Wakey line, Neil went to AHB, and every time he got the ball he passed to his left.  Except the last time, he dummied to his left and walked over the line.  A footballer.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not doubting for a moment what a great player he was, and he certainly deserves to be put in the same category as some of the previous names mentioned. The problem with topics like this is they can be misconstrued - there are many players I'd consider truly great players without considering them to be the greatest, as I'm sure there would be for you.

There's also the generational thing. Nobody has mentioned Gus Risman yet, probably cos we are all too young to have seen him in his prime pre-war, but he was still a great player in his 40's so must have been damn good in his prime. Somebody mentioned full backs earlier - the younger forumites talk about Slater etc whereas the best I saw was Paul Charlton, my grandad would have said Risman.

The question of different stars of different eras is completely valid, I agree. I have read a few biographies of players who did exceptional things in their time. James Lomas, Willie Horne, Brian Bevan etc.

But Rugby League never stands still. When the French dazzled the Australians in the Fifties and Sixties, "big" prop forwards were smaller than a lot of modern wingers. Halfbacks, in some cases. Different times, different stars. A different level of physical impact too.

In the modern era, Vince Karalius would still be the terrifying Grendel that gave Australians nightmares (and that's as it should be), but he might not be a forward in today's game. Give me a Tardis and I'd unleash a prime-era Karalius against a young Gorden Tallis. We'd see some fun!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Got to give Schoefield a rap..He was a bloody good RL player.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Eric Ashton

That's a good call, not that I ever saw him.

The last conversation I had with my Dad touched on this. Hanley was his choice, having watched from the 40s. His older sister, who has watched the Pies for 84 years now, reckons it would be a tie between Boston and Hanley.

For me, Hanley. He had an aura. He played for Bradford, Wigan, Wests, Balmain and Leeds, and was in every one of their teams of the 20th century. I consider myself very privileged to have seen him.

A great read this thread, surprised no one has said Sonny Bill Williams tbh. Id agree with Neil Fox , Wally Lewis, Bill Ashurst  and throw in Reg Gasnier and his nephew Mark Gasnier wasn't bad either.

He's blotted his copybook in retirement with some regressive opinions about expansion (and that streak at Belle Vue!), but he was a fantastic player.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Great call. Knocker was a legend.

So good he was nearly as good as Mick Crane.

But nobody was that good.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Yes good but not in this company, except in his head -

If we're giving the French a go from what I've heard Puig Aubert Must be included and there must be a few more from L'Hexagon we need to look up!

But the thread was " you've seen" !

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Yes good but not in this company, except in his head -

If we're giving the French a go from what I've heard Puig Aubert Must be included and there must be a few more from L'Hexagon we need to look up!

But the thread was " you've seen" !

Schofield was a top class player. I have been watching League since 1985 and he is probably the second best British player I have seen in that time after Hanley.

As for the best I have seen. There are so many Australian greats that it is hard to narrow them down... Lewis, Sterling, Mortimer, Pearce, Miles, Meninga, Johns, Fitler, Lockyer, Inglis.... I could type forever! But I have to say that Hanley was as good as any one of these and possibly better... certainly the first player that comes to my mind when I think of the best ever.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Allan Langer

They changed 2 rules of the game in order to make him less effective. The tripping rule and the strip the  ball rule. He dominated from his first Origin game. In a team full of stars he consitantly was the best. Even when he was older and playing in England he still was good enough to come back and help Queensland win an origin series. He did things only Allan Langer could do. His jinking runs, his mini grubber kicks, his ducking under tackles.  An amazing running halfback that was in my oppinion very underrated and the best player I have ever seen.

Tell you what though...thurston is playing a totally different game to anyone at the moment...the last two years hes upped his game to a completely stupid level..hes close to overtaking andrew john imo

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

I always rated Mark Graham very highly. (I generally rate forwards higher than backs) 28 Tests for NZ and could have had a much bigger profile if he'd left the Brisbane comp earlier and moved to one of the stronger Sydney clubs.

better, and could play anywhere (other than front row), TV was a one trick pony in comparison.

eric ashton made boston look great 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

Lockyer for me. Read the game perfectly and this was what made everything he did look so effortless. A highlights reel probably wouldn't be that exciting, saving see him turn up in position every time to back up and score.

Thurston is brilliant too, but for me Lockyer edges it because he never moaned or threw a strop on the field.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Fullback: Lockyer

Winger: Offiah

Centre: Jesus this is hard... loved Newlove. Erm.. Lyon probably.

Stand Off: Fittler

7: Thurston

Prop: Graham

Hooker: Smith

Second Row: Sculthorpe

Loose: Hanley

That's a much better way of doing it otherwise you miss so many great players

Fullback- Lockyer

Wingier- Offiah

Centre- Meninga

Stand off- Kenny

Scrum half- Thurston

Prop- Ward

Hooker- Cunningham

Second row- Tallis

Loose- Hanley

Edited to swap Thurston for Johns cant believe I missed Thurston.

Like Padge, I was tempted to go for Billy Boston, but feel that he probably significantly benefitted from Ashton's presence inside in the centres.  My very first RL match watched live featured both; Boston scored the opening try as Feathertone Rovers succumbed 4-15 at Central Park on 25 January, 1964!

Billy Boston, end of thread, move on.

problem is I've never seen billy Boston play. So can't move on. Depends what's meant by best player? Full back? Centre, half backs etc? Most inspirational? Fastest? Toughest? Saw Mal Graham play with half his ear torn off, I'd say he was the toughest. Fastest has to be offiah. Most inspirational was Bob Lindner. Hugh Waddle was tough strong and, for a big bloke, fast.Best ball playing prop mick Morgan. Could go on and on.

alexander james murphy

I've been waiting for this. For me it's a toss up between Johns, Thurston and Murphy, with Johns getting my 'nod' for his aggression in defence.

Thurstons stats, by the end of his career will probably see him win the votes of modern day scribes.

But, according to colleagues who played with and against him, Murph was the man.

Archived