Who is the best player you've ever seen?

If you could construct the perfect RL player he would look like Ellery Hanley. Amazing athlete, great pace, upper body strength, rugby brain, support player, tackling machine. The complete package and if playing in today's game he would be priceless.

And the one you wouldn't think was a any sort of a sportsman was Brian Bevan!

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the one you wouldn't think was a any sort of a sportsman was Brian Bevan!

I saw him play once in the cup at Belle Vue, 1962 I think, he went the length of the field from corner to corner and scored, no one laid a hand on him.  As you say, bald, skinny, no teeth, both knees bandaged, a RL player is the last thing you'd think he was

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Wow ... How privileged have we been to see all those players listed !

Been a Leeds fan I have to say the players I admired the most in opposition were Kevin Ward and Tony Myler ; both amazing athletes

You've said that before, but I don't recall being given a vote.  I take nothing away from Boston or Ashton. I never saw Risman so can't comment. I certainly question Murphy's place there, the man was a cheat, nothing more nothing less.  Offiah's presence is a sick joke.  Neil Fox's absence is unbelievable.

mate murphy was perhaps the first of the great modern day halves, i saw him win many games with his skill and courage, you may call him a cheat but for me no one has or will ever compare to alexander the great 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

As a school  boy sprinter in NZ during the eighties, i ran a time that was faster than  any  referenced time by rugby league or union players with school boy sprint records recorded in their resume's

i was faster than anyone in school boy league in NZ during that era, and won a scholarship to play in Sydney in the same comp as Andrew ET.

i was quicker in timed races than my Aussie compatriots in that era who played in the commonwealth bank cup.

The first time i saw Martin Offiah was at Eden Park, as a sprinter he was technically poor with ball in hand...however I have been around a lot of sprinters....and Martin Offiahs speed of leg movement was....and to this day is....the fastest I have ever seen....(including track athletes....with  no ball, and no sprigs on grass)....his speed of leg drive was something to behold, It was so fast he looked inhuman to my untrained eyes.

Ellery Hanley is the most rounded player I have ever witnessed play....and this includes seeing Wally Lewis almost single handed...win a world cup final on NZ soil....and Langer win a test almost single handed on Kiwi soil too.

In terms of one off best in the world performances in my life time.....Its hard to go past Jonathon Davies Welsh wizard performance for the British Lions V Aussie.....for me that winning effort against all odds was inspired (not saying he is anywhere near a best player, rather he turned in a one off performance that was David v Golliath).

I've posted this before, but what the hell.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

In terms of one off best in the world performances in my life time.....Its hard to go past Jonathon Davies Welsh wizard performance for the British Lions V Aussie.....

Schoey was mentioned earlier in this thread, for one-off performances his display in the 33-10 win in Melbourne in 1992 would take some beating. He had the Aussies mesmerised that day.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

As a school  boy sprinter in NZ during the eighties, i ran a time that was faster than  any  referenced time by rugby league or union players with school boy sprint records recorded in their resume's

i was faster than anyone in school boy league in NZ during that era, and won a scholarship to play in Sydney in the same comp as Andrew ET.

i was quicker in timed races than my Aussie compatriots in that era who played in the commonwealth bank cup.

The first time i saw Martin Offiah was at Eden Park, as a sprinter he was technically poor with ball in hand...however I have been around a lot of sprinters....and Martin Offiahs speed of leg movement was....and to this day is....the fastest I have ever seen....(including track athletes....with  no ball, and no sprigs on grass)....his speed of leg drive was something to behold, It was so fast he looked inhuman to my untrained eyes.

Offiah ran not unlike the American sprinter and Athletics pundit Michael Johnson - very upright and with a fast cadence. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I clearly come from a different age group to most subscribers, agree with Billy Boston, but again I go back before the Boston era, and I saw Ike Owens at his best, that nasty war spoilt a lot of likely players chances of the title of the best. RU, the war got in the way of Ike. I'll just state this, he destroyed the Aussies on the 46' tour, and was outstanding in two Victory international matches, despite playing for Leeds at the time, they were RU games. Boston was great in an era when we had the Von who could win matches single handed as he did against Hunslet in Championship final in late fifties.  

Now that was a wonderful game!

I was lucky enough to be there. The look on the Aussie fans faces was priceless, especially when the tour party led by Kevin Dick got under their skin. Me and my mate blagged our way into the GB changing room afterwards, what a party that was !

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

My signature answers this!

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Wally Lewis because he was so far ahead of everyone else at the time it was unbelievable. You had to see his passes to believe them , when you have someone who you takes your breath away with their skill that takes some beating!

Stanton preferred Brett Kenny.

As a hugely loyal paid up member of the Odsal faithful I'd say that our most famous son, Ellery Hanley, was the greatest player I've ever seen. Truely sublime in so many ways. But then, and I assume no one else rates him because he's not warranted a mention in 4 pages, I saw Greg Inglis. I've watched his career throughout and so I've seen a lot of him. And over time I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that Inglis is the best player I've ever seen. In the time I've been watching TGG I've not seen anyone remotely at his level.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

The best Leigh player I have ever watched is John Woods, if he had been born 20 years later he would be a rich man. Pace, step, eye for a gap and could kick for fun - very humble and still is

I'm also a huge admirer.  When Terry Holmes signed for Bradford they were all raging about how good he was, but it was John Woods playing outside him that was carrying him.  Kevin Brown reminds me a lot of him.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

As a hugely loyal paid up member of the Odsal faithful I'd say that our most famous son, Ellery Hanley, was the greatest player I've ever seen. Truely sublime in so many ways. But then, and I assume no one else rates him because he's not warranted a mention in 4 pages, I saw Greg Inglis. I've watched his career throughout and so I've seen a lot of him. And over time I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that Inglis is the best player I've ever seen. In the time I've been watching TGG I've not seen anyone remotely at his level.

"Best British player I ever saw?  Neil Fox without a doubt. Second best, Hanley.  Best prop, Kevin Ward.  Best player for Fev? Deryck Fox, Brendan Tuuta, Paujl Nelove.  Best Aussie, Wally Lewis.  Phil Lowe, Bill Ashurst, Malcolm Reilly, David Topliss could all play a bit.  Best Union converts:  Lewis Jones, Jonathan Davies, Scott Gibbs. David Watkins."

I posted that on the second page. I also posted about a night at Odsal v Fev where he scored 17 points.

Clement Attlee.

For my local team Oldham the thrillers for me were Andy Goodway (unstoppable in his prime) Tom Nadiola (utterly fearless) and of course Said Tamgahart (socks round ankles) three men that gave me great enjoyment running the ball in where it hurt without fear!

"Best British player I ever saw? Neil Fox without a doubt. Second best, Hanley. Best prop, Kevin Ward. Best player for Fev? Deryck Fox, Brendan Tuuta, Paujl Nelove. Best Aussie, Wally Lewis. Phil Lowe, Bill Ashurst, Malcolm Reilly, David Topliss could all play a bit. Best Union converts: Lewis Jones, Jonathan Davies, Scott Gibbs. David Watkins."

I posted that on the second page. I also posted about a night at Odsal v Fev where he scored 17 points.

I think he means Inglis

Archived