Sign in to follow this  
Buderus

Would You Like to See Licensing Back and What Are Your Opinions on It?

It is a sport. As such success and failure should be judged on the pitch, not by a panel deciding that team X has a nicer car park than team Y. Licensing is not sport.

Give the 8s a chance. We've had one year and one game.

Disagree it is a professional sport not a social touch rugby or indoor futsal comp... on field results are only part of an equation that includes financial management, sponsors, facilities, spectator support, Junior pathways, coaching & admin staff are all vital ingredients.  

I'd like to see 14 teams in super league

1 team down, 1 team up

Team finish 2 to bottom in super league, play winners out of the play offs who finished 2,3,4,5th in a one off game

Winner takes all...

But isn't that just a take on a system that proved to have more problems than answers, advantageous?

“I would!”     

Disagree it is a professional sport not a social touch rugby or indoor futsal comp... on field results are only part of an equation that includes financial management, sponsors, facilities, spectator support, Junior pathways, coaching & admin staff are all vital ingredients.

And they cost a fortune. Do you think any Championship club can overtake Super League club infrastructure on a much smaller budget? Short of having a millionaire owner willing to write off the money there's zero chance of that happening.

At least with the 8s there is more money reaching the Championship. Fev and Batley will have more money to spend on the things you mention thanks to their middle 8s boost.

Licensing is anti-competition. It also has the issue of making the bottom of SL a total waste of time. You end up with teams having nothing to play for after the mid point of the season.

The Championship is improving and the 8s and the money it brings down to the Championship will help keep raising the bar.

Keep it as it is but make all the SL clubs play away at championship clubs

Why? and how do you resolve the other fixtures and divide the cash?

Widnes show the advantages of the licence process, they had the benefit of 3 years stability. Betts would have been sacked and the junior development would have been lost.

We need to find a ay of making the championship less of a financial drop no idea how we can do that, we are a small sport.

I don't think we will ever return to licensing, but if we did i would like to see it run along the same lines as the German soccer Bundesliga

Not a clue what your talking about, I don't watch, read or have any interest in Wendy Ball. Please emphasise.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Not a clue what your talking about, I don't watch, read or have any interest in Wendy Ball. Please emphasise.

Grammar/language pedantry alert, don't you mean elaborate? :)

Id love to see licensing back!

P&R has proven not to work they even struggle in the richer code.

If we had a second tier full of full time city clubs then i'd say go for it. but just to bring in jeopardy for the sake of it. So a few small town clubs can earn a few quid getting tonked 60 nil does nothing for the sport.

Grooming clubs like Toulouse for a SL spot is the best way to go and strengthen our current clubs instead of getting involved into a raceto the bottom.

Matt, how do you groom clubs like Toulouse? and strengthen our current clubs? which 6 of them would be no better than some of the Championship clubs if they did not get full funding, I presume that you are insular enough to suggest that any team below SL should receive nothing at all and let them wither away and die.

It may surprise you that as a supporter of a Championship team, I like many others have a pride in my team, I want them to acheive success, I want the luxury of having full funding, and quite frankly I don't don't give a hoot as to what the proposed new comers do as long as they are not fast tracked on speculation, it has happened to many times in the past.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

We've never done religation this wAy

Obviously weve had 14 teams in super league before

But we need more teams in the top flight

All we do at moment , is keeping super league teams in super league.

without ever giving championship teams a chance

Super 8 doesn't work for championship teams

One off game maybe... But def can't kp producing it for 7 big games

And they cost a fortune. Do you think any Championship club can overtake Super League club infrastructure on a much smaller budget? Short of having a millionaire owner willing to write off the money there's zero chance of that happening.

At least with the 8s there is more money reaching the Championship. Fev and Batley will have more money to spend on the things you mention thanks to their middle 8s boost.

Licensing is anti-competition. It also has the issue of making the bottom of SL a total waste of time. You end up with teams having nothing to play for after the mid point of the season.

The Championship is improving and the 8s and the money it brings down to the Championship will help keep raising the bar.

I think that's one of the issues the RFL, God luv 'em, are trying to answer with this system. As complicated as it is the chance of promotion is allied with improving the chances of it being sustainable moving to the top flight and rewarding endeavour and higher achievement. They also wanted more meaningful games and that has happened certainly for the bottom four SL teams.

A friend of mine likes football but he and his dad follow different RL teams. He said he thought the 8's system was a wonderful way to sort P - R and how he'd like something similar in the premier league. Which does go to show how perspectives can alter wider interpretations of the same things.

“I would!”     

I think stable expansion is rarely going to truly work under P&R in our sport. We're never going to keep everyone pleased so the RFL should be doing what is best for the sport.

IMO the best way around the Toulouse situation would be to go back to a 14 club Super League and guarantee 2 spots to French clubs unless things change dramatically. Then if Cathars or any other team knock on the door as a viable 3rd French team then look at changing the structure again.

Toronto is the big variable though, how they can be best handled if/when they come knocking is a tricky one.

Edited by jim_57

I understand your point of view however I don't think this issue is unsolvable. If the RFL put more money into the championship and gave it more promotion I have no doubt the teams in the Championship would get just as much if not more money then they do under the current system. Whilst it's great for the 4 clubs who make the qualifiers the other 8 championship teams are stuck playing for some shield which represents 5th best. If the championship had its own competition with its own grand final and own identity it has the opportunity to build in the future.

Realistically Batley and Featherstone both need an investor or for there fan base to increase to be a super league level team. This is why they are best suited to the championship at this stage so they can build there club and fan base over time to the point where maybe they are at the super league level. I think it's far more beneficial for these teams as clubs to be competition for the Championship title year after year where they can build then be stuck in a cycle of just making or missing out on the middle 8's. The championship can become its own strong, important and valued competition

Realistically the problem in RL is that historically it feels much harder to be promoted from the Championship than it is to be relegated from SL.

SL clubs, bar Bradford and London at the end, often seem like the system is designed to protect their status.

I Suppose the best way IMO would be 2 up 2 down from a fully pro SL into a fully pro championship, providing the grounds etc meet SL criteria. Although clearly that would require much more investment overall, if the sources of income can be diversified then it becomes less of a drain on the central funding.

For example Toulouse and Toronto, as well as any other new french or Canadian franchises are going to bring money to the game (as oppose to taking away) through their own domestic funding. Plus with P/R through the leagues they are able to evolve into a SL team naturally, rather than a baptism of fire.

Well now you have read how the Bunbesliga works would you like the same system in Rugby League in this country?

The problem is there is no single magic silver bullet. You want teams in Super League to be competitive and to have facilities at a certain standard but at the same time you need to provide opportunity for those teams that currently fall short of those criteria to progress and develop to that standard.

For licensing to work, The RFL need to drastically improve the prize money awarded to Championship teams. SKY or another TV company needs to realise that there are actually some good entertaining games in the Championship, especially involving the top end teams. Look at Bulls V Leigh this year - A great comeback by the bulls at Odsal, scoring 26 points in the last 15 mins to earn a draw, followed by two enthralling games at Blackpool and LSV where Leigh just pipped us at the death on both occasions.

Until championship clubs are more greatly rewarded for their endeavours, licensing will not work. The only way a championship club can gain access to higher cash injections at present is to be promoted to super league. Even if that results in 60 point mullerings every week, they would at least benefit from extra crowds, TV coverage, and would return to the championship financially better off, giving them a chance to build. The other option would be having a rich billionaire backer. But my opinion is that you shouldn't be able to buy your way into super league, you should have to earn your place there through performances on the field - that is what sport is all about. Without that, it's not sport.

It is a sport. As such success and failure should be judged on the pitch, not by a panel deciding that team X has a nicer car park than team Y. Licensing is not sport.

Give the 8s a chance. We've had one year and one game.

The winners would be decided on a pitch... the separation between leagues would be done off the pitch..

The middle ground is the obvious that is a list of minimum requirements, even them footie / union given dispensation with a time line for improvements to be made.

The problem with RL is that there are limited amount of clubs at each level which makes organic P&R unpractical,

Ie you would always replace a big club with a weaker one that despite best intentions would be unsustainable at a higher level.

There needs to be more teams at every level and when that happens P&R would be feasible... until then licensing wold be better... however I would give out 3 types of licences

3 year for A grade

2 year for B grade

1 year for C grade

If the winner of the championship didn't make a C grade then they could not apply....

As a Batley fan I found the race to get in the eights really exciting.

The realisation of the gap between the divisions has tempered my hopes, or fantasies, of Batley reaching super league though.

On a general level I would not like to see Rugby League lose its affinity with the working class northern towns. I accept the positivity of genuine Toulouse and Toronto fans, but there has to be opportunity for both small and large clubs.

I'm fully in support of a conference system sitting above a lower-level pyramid.

More generally, no matter what the current system is, can we have a perpetual thread to complain that we should go back to the previous system?

I find it funny some people love to compare us with football but forget to think about the NRL. 

You know, the closed competition in Australia without a Challenge Cup, without P&R.