Scoring system wrong?

Maybe we have the points scoring system wrong?

Reason we lose fans quickly is because we find it hard to watch our beloved teams get beat by huge score lines

Would it be easier to watch our teams get beat by less points ??maybe 2 points for a try ??1 point for a kick??

In football , the team you support can have an off day, but only get beat by 3-4 goals

Seems easier to take that score line in rather than rugby team been beat by 50-60-70??

Not trying to upset anyone .... Thinking out loud

Could go to 3 for a try, 1 for a penalty or conversion to maintain the differential. Not sure where that would leave DGs, unless we had half points though. :lol:

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Divide the game into quarters. 4 points for a try in the first quarter, 3 in the next...etc 1 point in the last but worth 6 points if scored in the last 2 minutes. In the event of a draw, scores are reset to zero and teams lose a player every minute until someone either scores or the last man (or indeed woman) can score a walk in try.

Simples

If it goes to extra time, release the leopard.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Perhaps the ref can give his own additional points for artistic impression of the try.  The video ref can then countermand that with their own points.

Is that like Rugby Union's Ring of Truth interpretation?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reason we lose fans quickly is because we find it hard to watch our beloved teams get beat by huge score lines

Would it be easier to watch our teams get beat by less points ??maybe 2 points for a try ??1 point for a kick??

In football , the team you support can have an off day, but only get beat by 3-4 goals

Seems easier to take that score line in rather than rugby team been beat by 50-60-70??

If I'm a neutral, and the scoreline reach a 3 goal margin, Im see what elses is on, and depending on the time even a 2 goal margin may cause me to find something else.

Yea johnh1 as cracked it , another loser who thinks he's mr rugby league

And God help people trying to put anything on this forum

Another loser , probably never played rugby in your life

Let me guess.... PlayStation rugby league???

The scoring system works fine as it is.A 3-0 game sounds far duller than a 30 or 40+ point game.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Or teams that get thrashed aren't in the running to win a trophy and so toward the later end of the season attendances drop off just like any other sport.

Yea johnh1 as cracked it , another loser who thinks he's mr rugby league

And God help people trying to put anything on this forum

Another loser , probably never played rugby in your life

Let me guess.... PlayStation rugby league???

Bit touchy aren't we? I just don't see why we have to start changing everything every 5 minutes. Until yesterday afternoon, loads of people were moaning about the uncompetitive nature of the middle eights. Suddenly it's the most exciting of the three eights competitions. Why can't we just stick with things for a while before changing it. There always have been blowout scores, there always will be. My team came in for an absolute hammering at Bradford not that long ago. They also got hammered at Leeds last year. Teams get over these results and recover. Oh, and by the way, I have played the game.

We should bring in declaring, when a team thinks it has enough points to win the game in the first half they declare. After that none of their tries or goals count but the oppositions do. If they still win instead of 2 points you get 4.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Bit touchy aren't we? I just don't see why we have to start changing everything every 5 minutes. Until yesterday afternoon, loads of people were moaning about the uncompetitive nature of the middle eights. Suddenly it's the most exciting of the three eights competitions. Why can't we just stick with things for a while before changing it. There always have been blowout scores, there always will be. My team came in for an absolute hammering at Bradford not that long ago. They also got hammered at Leeds last year. Teams get over these results and recover. Oh, and by the way, I have played the game.

Nothing wrong with the current points system, it has exactly the right emphasis on scoring tries rather than kicking for goal as they do in RU.

To me, the most effective way to reduce the frequency of blow out scores is to revert back to how kick offs used to be, with the conceding team receiving the ball from the kick off after each try rather than the scoring team as it is at the moment.

I've thought for a while the following might work:

number of tries scored (number of goals)

so Leeds 12 - 24 Wigan would look like this:

Leeds (2) 2 - 4 (4) Wigan

Goals would only come into play if the number of tries were level, and drop goals only if all tries and goals were level - then counting as an extra goal

Personally I think this would help rope in football fans, as well as making scores look less one sided, and incentivising further scoring tries instead of taking penalty kicks.

But last time i suggested it on here i was ridiculed, so i fully expect it again.

I've thought for a while the following might work:

number of tries scored (number of goals)

so Leeds 12 - 24 Wigan would look like this:

Leeds (2) 2 - 4 (4) Wigan

Goals would only come into play if the number of tries were level, and drop goals only if all tries and goals were level - then counting as an extra goal

Personally I think this would help rope in football fans, as well as making scores look less one sided, and incentivising further scoring tries instead of taking penalty kicks.

But last time i suggested it on here i was ridiculed, so i fully expect it again.

Ben, how would it, "...help rope in football fans?"

How about bonus points, like the rugby union system but a bit more.

2 points for a win.

1 point for draw

Score 5 tries = 1 attacking bonus point

Score 8 tries = 1 extra attacking bonus point

Finish the game within 3 tries of opponent = 1 defensive bonus point

Keeping opponent tryless (is that a word?) = 1 defensive bonus point

It keeps the emphasis on scoring tries rather than kicks, rewards defence and the bonus point for finishing within 3 tries gives teams getting beat something to aim at rather than just give up. It could also give the final table a bit of a twist?

Nothing wrong with the current points system, it has exactly the right emphasis on scoring tries rather than kicking for goal as they do in RU.

To me, the most effective way to reduce the frequency of blow out scores is to revert back to how kick offs used to be, with the conceding team receiving the ball from the kick off after each try rather than the scoring team as it is at the moment.

They did that for a couple of years in the 90s, it was seen not to work.

Archived