2017 squad and rumour mill thread

buford t justice

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Danny Bravo , Brad Hill n trae o sullivan , cant say ive heard of any , so cant comment , any one got any info on them

Hi Every Body, regards   Brad Hill (Bradley)  he has just gone 21 and was signed on at Featherstone Rovers last year, He is the son of the Giant Prop Brendan Hill. He played for Bradford Bulls u19s along with Jamie Harrison and is a similar build and height. He should be a good aquisition to our squad !

Somewhat underwhelming so far. Expected us to kick on from this season.

So are you assuming we won't? The old season has been finished for less than a week and you are underwhelmed already?

You seem to forget that it is exactly this kind of recruitment that helped us unearth the likes of Alex Walmsley, George Flanagan, Jason Walton and one of the real stars of last season, Brad Day! 

Plenty of time to bring in further quality, but have you an opinion on Macauley Hallett or Joel Farrell?

I despair. The seasons been finished 1 week. Kevin stated on another post that there is ongoing paperwork for other signings.The negativity considering the season weve just had is mind boggling. Why not wait to air your underwhelmed attitude untill Kevin formally states our squad is complete.

Why not give the lads a chance....to kick on
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

My initial thoughts were the same as some of those above, I would have loved to see us bring in some big name top quality players. But we've got to be realistic.

The current squad will all be on more money than last season. They are all proven top 3 championship players now. So just how much money do you think will be left over? Answer: probably Not as much as some people think, would be my guess.

The other question is, how much would it cost to bring in better quality than what we already have? Sammutt apparently wants a £70k package if the rumours are true, and is he that much better than what we have? If he wants that, God only knows what proven sl players would command.

Given the quality we have already signed on, significantly better players can only really come from either the NRL or SL barring the odd exception, there are probably a couple in the championship, but they are probably playing for our nearest rivals so unlikely to move on. It might also upset the team dynamic if we brought in a 'marquee' signing on big money.

Remember, there are still only 17 lads getting a game every week, so how many good quality players, including those already signed, will we be able to keep interested if they aren't playing most weeks?

So on balance, I'd rather we signed young lads with a point to prove, who are hungry for success than a few journeymen 'names' with very little to prove.

I have been much impressed with Young Harrison and if they are of the same ilk they'll do for me.

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Being on more money next season for finishing 3rd this doesn't make a player better next season that this. (Speaking as devil's advocate here, not personalities). Yes, we unearthed Dave Scott and saw Brad Day progress enormously, but for ANY club to improve year on year they have to add more quality to what is there already. Yes, any of these unknowns might fly straight in and start knocking the opposition all over. Yes, KN has mentioned further incomers waiting on registrations etc, but for each unknown, untried, you need to balance out. I don't set out to knock effort of the board, it just seems that I echo the thoughts of a few others yet get brought down for it. Great, onwards and upwards, but with encouragement.

We do need to continue bringing through the younger players, and I agree with PM that young James Harrison is certainly one to look for this coming season, and has a good footballing brain. I am sure that Matt Diskin believes in youth, and has had good success with the Bradford Bulls U19s, so will be aware of the capabilities of these young lads he is bringing in.

To maintain a balance in the squad however, we do need to sign some additional quality and experience to maintain our position in the top 4, thus securing long term financial stability and progression as a Club. Having had a top 3 finish, I would suggest that we are in more a competitive position to sign these types of players than many of our rivals.

The players signed thus far are not "big names" but that's not to say they aren't any good.

I'm sure recruitment wise we have plenty of irons in the fire as we look to add more quality to a squad that did so well last season.

I know they are in short supply but if we can get a quality stand off in alongside Brambani with Walker at 13 I believe we can really kick on and if we have the money available, that kind of signing would repay us ten fold with another top 4 finish.

Are we running a second team this year or did i dream that?

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

Just think signing a lad from Underbank will be less paperwork than releasing a current championship player from a clause, for example. We will have bigger names to unveil but bringing in the youth is a step in the right direction. Keep them coming Kevin!

Jesus season is only just over... KN has stated there is signings still to come .. i's need dotting and t's need crossing and squad hasn't been finalised yet and peeps are moaning... JK hinted in his interview after the last game that there is signings to be announced that will excite us all.. so lets wait and see and then once they say thats the lot then we can have a moan ... looking at some of the young lads we have signed up all look to be exciting prospects and word from the Bears is that Trae O'Sullivan will go well for us and will be sorely missed by them

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

Jesus season is only just over... KN has stated there is signings still to come .. i's need dotting and t's need crossing and squad hasn't been finalised yet and peeps are moaning... JK hinted in his interview after the last game that there is signings to be announced that will excite us all.. so lets wait and see and then once they say thats the lot then we can have a moan ... looking at some of the young lads we have signed up all look to be exciting prospects and word from the Bears is that Trae O'Sullivan will go well for us and will be sorely missed by them

Yes! More to come apparently. Personally though, I do think that Farrell, if managed, will really bolster our pack, and Hallett is a real prospect, and impressed in our division already!

More patience is needed, or perhaps some winter activities need to be taken up to release the pressure from the rugby!

Big name signings don't always work look at us last year we brought players from other side of world and didn't make top 4 This season gone we signed work like players and blended if with youth and we came 4th So big names don't always work

Having taken time to consider our recruitment, would our squad spirit be jeopardised by a big money signing? We also have a chairman who will use the money we've won to safeguard the club's future - not to squander on fancy names. That's a real positive.

We've already brought in two of the best young players at this level - one who will add punch and aggression to our forwards, and one who replaces a predecessor with hideous defence and chronic bad hands. I'm happy thus far.

What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?

Biggest mistake Fax made last year IMO was not signing higher profile players than what we had(barring Simon Grix who can be excused for obvious reasons) and instead looking to improve the squad. It came back. We ended up with a big squad of unhappy players rather than a tight nit group and it showed on the field. There is still plenty of time left though to make signings so holding some money back is probably also a good idea.

I'm sorry that post makes no sense at all. Players got unhappy as no big name players came to take their places. Interesting one.

Was it not to do with the fact that your coach had an excellent first season, got a long contract & then his lack of experience got found out. Added to a crowd that can are very demanding & makes it a great place to play rugby.

"If you want us to be the best and if you want us to beat the rest, a BISSA donation is what we need"

I think it would make perfect sense for Batley to push the boat out and spend all that extra dosh they have on some higher-profile players. That way you will guarantee a top four spot, bigger crowds and even more money.

It works every time.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Too true its worked for bradford didnt it ?? Oh thats right it didnt guess ide rather stay as we were than chase a impossible dream of a league that wouldnt want us . Look at Keighley chased that dream and never recovered

You don't do irony then toffee ?  ;)

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Archived