2017 World Club Series Details Confimed

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also don't see the problem with the times. 8pm is pretty standard for NRL night games and RL survived in OZ for over 80 years with nearly all games starting at 3pm Sunday.

Hope we stuff the sharks even more than most teams due to cheating grubs like Gallen.

I do think a 2 match series makes more sense than the 3.

What really needs to happen though is the match to take place after the respective grand finals for it to have full meaning as being a clash of champions.

Cheating grubs?

Fairly sure champions league football final is now a Saturday evening kick-off most likely 7.45 so in the same ballpark.

2 teams series as the grand finalists of each comp is a much neater concept and easier well to the general public as the 1st game of the series felt like a glorified friendly currently. It is a shame that the Aussie sides won't commit to it fully as seen by Melbourne Storm sidestepping it this time around.

yes, the Champons League Final has moved from midweek in recent years - it is however a world class established event that would probably sellout and get media coverage if played at 3am on a Tuesday.

well that didn't answer my question...

3pm on a Sunday isnt too bad, however it is just random scheduling like the 4N. Regular RL coveeage here on Sky is Thurs and Fri at 8pm and Sat afternoon/evening - we are hittong none of those slots. We arent a sport that people just go out to watch at any time, however accept that maybe 3pm in Sunday was the only time Wigan could stage it (although they also dont believe in staging their games at 3pm on a Sunday it should be noted).

Saturday at 8pm is bizarre. We never ever stage games at that time, because it is bizarre, yet now we are doing it next month with the Aus v NZ game as well in Coventry.

Scheduling is becoming an issue in RL, we have seen many clubs have to move to Friday evenings, including Hudds this year as they feel the scheduling is important,we have seen bug impacts on crowds for Thursday games, drops in the region of 20 to 30 %, i expect average crowds at best for the 4N with games in London and Liverpool on Sundays and Workington and Hull on Fridays - never been done before for internationals.

I think people are underestimating the impact scheduling has on the game - it is part of the proposition you are selling - and whilst you may defend it, the rfl are not filling grounds and growing crowds.

I also don't see the problem with the times. 8pm is pretty standard for NRL night games and RL survived in OZ for over 80 years with nearly all games starting at 3pm Sunday.

as we always point out, the Aussie and UK sporting markets are massively different.

Sports do not schedule events for 8pm on Saturday evenings for a reason apart from the likes of boxing and greyhounds.

What other major sports put showpiece games on at 8pm on a Saturday evening in the UK?

Any?

RU play some 6 nations games on a Saturday night I think the FA cup are as well. It is new though I think the BBC are pushing it because it's cheap prime time TV for them.

I'm pleased Warrington have a game, but let's be honest we all know this is going to be back to one game in a year or two.

The chronology/evolution of this has been pretty much textbook RL hasn't it?

- One-game format takes hold with both countries taking it

- Over-powerful SL Chairman forces through expanded version

-Aussies play ball for a couple of years, then decide they can't be arsed

- Slow retreat to what we had before

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

RU play some 6 nations games on a Saturday night I think the FA cup are as well. It is new though I think the BBC are pushing it because it's cheap prime time TV for them.

8pm? Or 5-6pm? A slot which RL has used for most of SL.

I'm pleased Warrington have a game, but let's be honest we all know this is going to be back to one game in a year or two.

The chronology/evolution of this has been pretty much textbook RL hasn't it?

- One-game format takes hold with both countries taking it

- Over-powerful SL Chairman forces through expanded version

-Aussies play ball for a couple of years, then decide they can't be arsed

- Slow retreat to what we had before

To be fair, it's not just the Aussies.

Roses series was...

Year 1 - one game

Year 2 - two games

Year 3 - back to one game

Year 4 - scrapped

Exiles the same...

Year 1 - one game

Year 2 - two games

Year 4 - scrapped

France very similar.

The sheer farce of trying to grow the game internationally is putting me off the sport. It's embarrassing that there is no coordinated strategy after all this time.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

3pm on a Sunday isnt too bad, however it is just random scheduling like the 4N. Regular RL coveeage here on Sky is Thurs and Fri at 8pm and Sat afternoon/evening

ok so we both agree Sunday 3pm is OK. From the rest of your post that I haven't quoted, are you suggesting the WCS would be better played on a Thursday night than 8pm Saturday because that is the regularity of U.K. RL? I am happy to be challenged, but DT, you still haven't presented a suitable reason as to why an 8pm Sat KO is such a terrible decision.

After all, Saturday PM is a regular time slot as you have pointed out.

8pm? Or 5-6pm? A slot which RL has used for most of SL.

The only reason I'd attend that 8pm match on a Saturday is because it's on my doorstep.

For an event like this we should be scheduling for maximum attendance. Hopefully not too many get put off

The sheer farce of trying to grow the game internationally is putting me off the sport. It's embarrassing that there is no coordinated strategy after all this time.

I'll never be put off the actual sport Wellsy. It's too good for that but I am being put off certain aspects of the governance of the game. I get more enjoyment from watching the amateur game at the moment but even that is riven with politics.

rldfsignature.jpg

ok so we both agree Sunday 3pm is OK. From the rest of your post that I haven't quoted, are you suggesting the WCS would be better played on a Thursday night than 8pm Saturday because that is the regularity of U.K. RL? I am happy to be challenged, but DT, you still haven't presented a suitable reason as to why an 8pm Sat KO is such a terrible decision.

After all, Saturday PM is a regular time slot as you have pointed out.

Saturday at 8pm has no history of pulling in a crowd. Saturday night (not evening) is not a family night out slot - you could argue neither is Friday, but 25 years of building it into a regular RL night has made it so.

On Thursday or Fridays people are at school or work, so givibg them time to get home abd get ready for an 8pm kick off makes sense and works. Having people waiting around all day on a Saturday for an 8pm kick off just doesnt make sense.

We have never had 8pm Saturday kick offs in this country in my time watching (32 years), neither have football or rugby union, or cricket.

Why not 10am on a Saturday?

There is a difference between Saturday early evening and Saturday night. RL and every other sport have gone for early evenibg, but suddenly RL has scheduled a couple of important games for 8pm Saturday.

Ok DT, I hear your history. So from your expressed fears, an 8pm KO will result in a non sell out as opposed to perhaps a 6pm KO???

My bet is, Sat 8pm still equals a sell out. Fancy the bet?

i dont bet, but last time we didnt sell out, we know that Thursday night affects the Wire crowds a lot, im not expecting 15k. I expect 12k.

Isn't the Champions League Final on at 8pm on a Sat now?

too late mate, already addressed.

When we can guarantee an 80k sellout and a hundred million tv viewers then I think we can pick and choose our slots more willy nilly.

Nobody has really enlightened this thread as to why they think 8pm Saturday is so catastrophically bad beyond that it is relatively unusual in this country for outdoor live sports to take place at that time.

scheduling affects crowds - that is a fact. Look at the thursday crowds for evidence.

The fact that no other UK based sports comps stage games at that time should be telling.

When you have a weekend day, why make people wait all day and watch an event so late so they will get home at 10.30pm at the earliest? Is that really the scheduling of a family event?

You have to kick off at 8pm in midweek or Fridays due to work and school, you dont at weekends - so RU, Football and even RL stage their games in the evening at the latest.

To be fair, it's not just the Aussies.

Roses series was...

Year 1 - one game

Year 2 - two games

Year 4 - scrapped

Exiles the same...

Year 1 - one game

Year 2 - two games

Year 4 - scrapped

France very similar.

Apologies, the two examples you mentioned are two of those I had in mind so I shouldn't have mentioned the Aussies.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived